Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the worst thing you bought for your RV?

I've been thinking about the various things which we bought for our 5er, that just Did Not work. And I wonder if any of you have made mistakes in buying things that you found out didn't live up to your expectations?
Our attempt to put an extra hanger for towels in the bathroom was jinxed. The over the door towel hangers sold at CW for use in Rv's, is made for the thicker 1 3/8" doors. We bought them twice expecting it to work both times....
We thought the support for under the fifth wheel pin would help with stabilization issues.
I know we have bought other stuff which failed but right now I can't bring forth the memories.
What were your mistakes?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Heads-Up display off of Ebay. Difficult to see and inaccurate display speed.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Without a doubt, this: RV EZ Level - Camco 20601 - Levels - Camping World. It just didn't work. One day when we we checking in at an RV Park they had a basket of free bubble level key rings from Nationwide Insurance on the counter. That's what I use now.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Infinity came with a 6-legged levelling system, but before that we relied on a little stick on level which seemed pretty good.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #5

Slide out support posts. Tried once, never used them again. Just not a good idea.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Had to work through a couple of different outdoor grill tables before I found the right one.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A windshield/hood protector for the Jeep. It was heavy, had tabs we couldn't fold around the wheel wells because our year Jeep, the wheel wells had inserts & if it got wet/dirty (which it did) enroute, it was a mess to stow away. Then the Jeep windshield/hood had to be clean/dry before it was put on or any dirt on it might scratch the glass/finish. Used it once, a waste of $300...now it's in a box in my garage.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The patio mat.. Since I only use it on all dirt (or all concrete) sites, and I almost never park on those, I never use it.. If used on grass, even the grass friendly ones will turn the grass yellow and eventually kill it.

Thankfully I have made a new friend here in this park, He bought a park trailer (It is not a park model, it was owned by the park) and whomever left it to the park had an awning mat of about the same size.. It fully killed the grass so he was tracking mud in every time it rained, and BOY did it rain today.... I gave him the mat
Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just remembered another thing which doesn't work, the screw in tie downs for our awning....seems obvious that when the wind comes up you have to bring the awning in, and the tie downs make it harder to get the awning rolled up quickly. I just couldn't trust them enough to leave it rolled out. Living in Colorado at the time, the wind could come up in a flash.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #10

Agreed on the mat.. bought a big one.. 10x20 iirc.. used it once.... likely never again.
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj00ta View Post
Agreed on the mat.. bought a big one.. 10x20 iirc.. used it once.... likely never again.
Never bought one of those, but thanks for the tip, as we have been looking at them. You probably saved us from that mistake.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Worse thing I bought (so far)

A 60 pound ladder that was one of those kinds that would become an "A" so you can climb up either side. Thought for sure that's exactly what I needed until I had to lug it out of the slide tray over and over. Not only that, but it was 6 feet in length all collapsed down so it took up most of the tray and prevented usage of the space efficiently. Got rid of that and got a much lighter, smaller ladder that collapses down to like 2 feet in length.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
Never bought one of those, but thanks for the tip, as we have been looking at them. You probably saved us from that mistake.
Just to clarify / show you what I bought...

Amazon.com: Ming's Mark RC7 Brown/Beige 8' x 20' Classical Reversible Mat: Automotive

It has high reviews on amazon... and truly there is nothing "wrong" with it.. other than it's just not useful to us.

We ended up buying an over sized door mat from Sam's and put it at the foot of our steps.

Very similar to this: http://amzn.to/1poEv4R

Yes yes, the intent isn't quite the same - one vs the other.. but the Mat (again to us) is useless. Almost every park we go to has a table / bench or some place for us to setup our chairs to sit and relax. My intent of the rug was to make a nice home place just outside of the door - think like a patio on the back of the house with an awning over it.

It just doesn't work that way...

Maaaaybe if I was to setup camp somewhere for a few weeks at a time... but even then it's still a PITA to get out, setup, hammer into the ground, walk on, keep flat, keep clean, etc.

Just walk around any camp site (at least all the many I've been to) - notice how many people use them. My bet is that you might find one or two out of the RV spots in any park you visit. Everyone else knows better
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH View Post
We have the 9x18 plastic weave mat. We always use it. Keeps dirt from getting in the coach. I carry an 18v blower to keep it clean. Easier to walk on than gravel. Never stay long enough to kill any grass. On dirt in rain yeas it takes a bit of cleanup on the bottom side but worth it to us.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote