Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #15

I am 43, wife turns 40 this year. After my wife lost both of her parents, we sold our 5-bedroom S&B, moved to a free home owned by her grandmother, and bought a small trailer with the intention of moving to the pacific northwest in 3-5 years. I put my 2-year notice in at work. We started to save up for our travels.

This year, in year 4, we decided to do it.

We have had the trailer for almost a year, and have done several 3-day weekends, and a 7-day stay near the beach for Thanksgiving, and a 10-day stay at the same place for Christmas. Just practicing for our upcoming "full-time". Meanwhile, the trailer is parked in a hay shed behind our house, and we take the pets out there on weekends and while doing repairs/upgrades, and just hang out, cook meals, sleep, etc. They are now VERY comfortable in it, and the cat is learning to enjoy the drive-time. Slowly learning...

On June 8, we hit the road. We will take at least 2.5-3 months in "retirement" while we drive to Oregon and tour around the state, staying in various towns for a couple days to a week, just getting a feel for the friendliness, employability, and livability of each town. Then we have a wedding to attend in Seattle in mid-July. We were planning on trailering to the wedding this summer, anyway, so I figured why come back to Texas afterward?

Then back on the road to figure out where we will settle down and start handing out resumes.

Then, if it all works out as planned, we will try to buy a small chunk of land, live in the trailer while we build a storage barn, big enough for our two vehicles, the trailer, and our boat, with a small 2-bedroom house on top of it.

We will continue to take week-long or 3-day weekend trips as we further explore all the sights and sounds (and foods!) that the pacific northwest has to offer. Snow skiing, hiking, fishing, boating, wakeboarding, surfing, and the wife wants to try stand-up paddleboarding.

Maybe lose a little weight in the process, and maybe get off one or more of our blood-pressure meds???

So, what kind of "RV person" does that make me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amilows.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	123482  
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are also more 'tourer's than campers. We camped in tents and a pop up camper when we were young but now prefer to be spoiled by a nice coach with all the amenities.

We also travel with two dogs and hate to spend any time in a hotel. On our recent winter trip we had to spend 3 nights in a pet friendly motel while the coach was in the shop. That experience reinforced why we love our motorhome so much. We rarely stay in one location for too long (two weeks is about the max if there is a lot to see and do). We have attended a few rallies but only if they offer full hook up sites.

We take at least two long trips each year, 2 -3 months in length, one in winter and one in late summer, early fall.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
to buy a small chunk of land, live in the trailer (DP for me) while we build a storage barn, big enough for our two vehicles, the trailer, and our boat, with a small 2-bedroom house on top of it.
This quote above makes you the same RV person as me. I am doing exactly the same, except I am building 60x80 barn that will house my five horses on one side, six cars and three motorcycles on the other, DP in the middle, and we will live on the top.

I have 140 acres in CA, and I got tired of maintaining it. Moving to a "small chunk" of land on the river (7 1/2 acres), which will be much easier to take care off. Living in the DP while the barn is going up. Packing as we speak.

Wife wanted the 5er (for the above task), and I pushed for the pusher. Love to use it in the meantime, traveling on weekends. Will use it a lot more "up North" after the barn is built. I'll have a LOT more free time.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
with two dogs and hate to spend any time in a hotel. On our recent winter trip we had to spend 3 nights in a pet friendly motel

Two years ago, wife and I were on the way "up North" to find the property we want to resettle to. Decided that we'll take the dogs with us (they "need to" see the property too!). When it comes to driving, I am a TOTAL maniac (according to my wife). I can drive 20-26 hours with stops for gas and sandwich only, sleep 6-8 hours, and go again. She can't. Not even as a passenger. We were in L322 Range Rover, with one suitcase, and three (large) dogs. "Cramped" would be an understatement. Around Salt Lake, she was dead tired (as a passenger, because I do all of our driving) and wanted to "lay down". I told her to look for a "pet friendly hotel" on the web while I'm driving.

She found one. With linoleum on the floor. Collapsed mattresses. Dirty. Smelly. BAD.

That was the night that hatched the idea of purchasing a motorhome, just to have room to travel with dogs. A night in Vegas (when I looked at the mattress I was about to lay on) "sealed the deal".

No more hotels, and airports for me.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Tourers here too. I'm also an army brat, having lived all over the place until mom and dad divorced in '65 then we settled in her hometown. When I graduated and was on my own I worked in travel, ended up owning a travel agency for 20+ years. I've traveled around the world but not in our own country and backyard!

Tired of hotels, luxe or not we decided we wanted to travel without worrying about pet sitters so we bought a 5th wheel so we could take the cats with us. As I became involved in rescue we managed to grow the household to 7 cats and a lovebird. To take easily the bird with us we bought a 42' Winnebago! But we want to see this beaustiful country of ours, we aren't campers, we are tourers!
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My reason for buying a MH was I live in MI. For years retired Michiganders have lived here in the summer and snow birded in the winter in a warmer clime. Made complete sense to me.

My story is a bit different though. I have a sister in Texas, a brother in NC, a SIL in Arizona, and family all over the US. I would like to see them once in a while but do not want to put too much inconvenience on them and I like my privacy. Want to get up when I want to and not on someone else's time frame. That is my definition of work and when I retire in 17 months or so I don't want to do that again.

Didn't think I could afford one of these things years ago, but careful management and saving has definitely allowed us to buy and pay cash for one and to save the money for using it. We plan to travel to one person's home state, stay a winter there at a CG and move on to another state the next year. We will also see what is around that state while there. Beaches, battle grounds, food, woods, whatever peaks our interest.

I also see us out somewhere in a desert or woods or field with no hook ups and no neighbors and just enjoying nature. Like I said, like my privacy and don't need entertainment, nature provides plenty of that.

I could live in the MH full time or part time. That will be determined by my DH. He is more a homebody than I am. I told him I will not be spending another winter in MI once I retire. Hopefully he will go with me. I could go into the woods for months at a time, no phone or TV, and just peace and quiet. Nature. I can also spend times camping with good friends and cooking together, having a glass of wine, quietly watching a campfire burn.

Not impressed with hotels for above mentioned reasons. Like my own bed, toilet, kitchen, and outside grill. There are so many beautiful places to see in this country. Just want to see a few and travel at my own pace.

Whatever that makes me I don't care. Family visitor, traveler, enjoyer, whatever. Just my plan and I will adjust it as we see fit.

Have a great time whatever your plans. Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
You sum it up nicely for us as well. We love to tour but have settled for a month or two in Yuma a few times. It is nice to talk to different folks along the way but we can take it or leave it. We have made some new friends along the way as well.
I have some serious dietary needs and my wife has COPD so we like to sleep in our own bed and prepare our own meals in our own kitchen.
I used to drive for a living so I am used to driving and maintaining our coach, and know the difference of what is needed and all the hype about what others think you need to do. Get in it and drive it and enjoy it, and do what is necessary to maintain it.

All in all we like doing our own thing, on our own schedule,where we want to go, and answerable to no one.
That does not really fit with club life.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
It's hard to classify us. We are very social and make friends almost everywhere we go. We love to travel and see our great country. Trying local food dishes, and learning the life traits of those we meet along the way. We believe there is too much to this country to be seen from a plane. Give us the open air, and the freedom, and time to travel.

That's what ?I'm talking about!
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #23

We lived in the city before fulltiming, so we enjoy our urban exploration as much as boondocking our camping. We try to split 50/50 but sometimes it's so easy to hop from one city to the next (example: Tucson to Phoenix and soon to be San Diego). It's expensive, and I don't recommend it, but damn we have fun.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired from the Air Force and tried the airlines for a while, went back to school got an RN and after 7 months wasn't for me. Went to Sturgis and after going through YNP and the Teton's I started asking the older folks how they got their jobs. I applied on line and the next year I was in the Teton's managing gift stores at a resort and had a dorm to myself. I did that for 3 seasons but started looking at RV's months into my first season--I anticipated traveling and seeing the country, especially the west (saw a lot of overseas in 27 years active duty flying vip's) and an rv would mean no sharing rooms and hopefully not having to be management and work the long hours. Spent last year in the Teton's in management (seems rv spots for a single have caveats like single dorm rooms). Spending the winter on a base in FL (getting some surgery--my chassis needs as much or more maintenance than the coach) and near my son a deputy sheriff in the next county. Hoping to head for NY and a part-time campground job an hour from my daughter and the grandkids for a long summer before coming back to FL. Out west next summer! Love moving with my house! Not into groups--being a single you really stand out as a 5th wheel. I don't mind being alone, I can find things to do. I really love driving the back roads and seeing America--not the interstates with all their typical interchanges, restaurants etc. I like look at people's yards and porches--may just see something I have to make an offer for.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, our story is pretty dull compared to some of yours!

I grew up tent camping, mostly with the Boy Scouts, first as a Scout, then as a Scoutmaster. Had all the usual bad experiences such as leaking air mattresses, rain running through the tent, wet firewood, etc. Of course, nobody wanted to admit that wasn't much fun! We just laughed it off, trying to prove how tough we were!

Then the kids came along, and we did a lot of tent camping, canoeing, etc. This was just the kids and myself, Annette didn't want anything to do with it! By the time they discovered that boys and girls are made different, it was time to give up the tent camping. My rear end and back wasn't nearly as tough by then anyway!

There was no camping for many years. Then after the kids were grown and married, we discovered RV'ing! My Sunday School teacher was an avid camper and kept telling me about how much fun they had at the local COE CG.

I started working on Annette and at first she only associated the word "camping" with sleeping in tents on the ground, so needless to say she was not very receptive to the idea.

Finally she agreed to accompany me to a local RV dealership to check it out. At this point neither of us had ever been inside an RV! We had a Ford Explorer at the time. I called the dealer and asked them if they had anything that could be pulled behind the Explorer. They assured me that it would not be a problem, so away we go!

They showed us a TT, probably around 20' long. Since we had no idea what to look for, we were impressed! We decided to go home and think about it. After a couple of days, we decided to give it a try. We went back to the dealer to pick up the TT. I told the salesman I wanted to take one more look at it before signing the papers. We went out to the lot and there was a 28' Jayco Eagle 5th wheel sitting next to the TT, with the door open and it's one slide extended. We stepped inside and were blown away! That thing was HUGE (at least compared to the 20' TT).

We go back inside and I tell the salesman I want that 5th wheel! Only problem was, a 5th wheel and a Ford Explorer don't work well together!
I sign the papers and he promises to keep it until I can find a truck.

About a week later I find a Ford F250 PSD, crew-cab, with 8' bed, complete with 5th wheel hitch and towing package!

We go back, pick up the 5er, and head for the local CG. It took one night to find out we had made a big mistake! We couldn't stand up in the bedroom, couldn't see the TV from the chairs, and several other things that we didn't feel we could live with!

Next day I'm calling the dealer back, telling him I can't live with this RV! So back we go to the dealership, and come back home with a 32' Jayco Eagle 5er. We really liked that one! That was in 2001.

In 2002 we decided to go to the Atlanta RV Show, just to have fun, with NO intention of buying anything! Again, we were totally amazed at all the RV's! Just for fun we started comparing the features of a 36' Cedar Creek 5er and a 36' Cardinal 5er. After spending a full day doing this we were hooked!

You know, the Lord promises He will not allow us to be tempted beyond that which we're able to withstand, but He forgot about RV shows!

We ended up putting in a factory order for a 36' Cedar Creek that arrived 6 weeks later! It was pretty near perfect for our wants and needs! We kept it for 10 years, totally happy with our decision!

We sold our business that we had run for 37 years, retired, and wanted to start traveling, seeing parts of this country that we had not been able to visit because of the demands of the business. We both decided that extended traveling would be more fun in a MH, so we ended up buying the Windsor and selling the 5er and the truck.

We love traveling in the MH, but we sometimes miss all the good times we had just "camping". We're trying to get some medical problems resolved now, after which we plan to rent the house for a year and try fulltiming. If we still like it at the end of the year, we will sell the house and all the stuff and "keep on trucking".

It's been a great ride so far! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I just realized that after giving my life history I didn't really answer the OP's question!

We don't belong to any RV clubs and don't caravan with others, just because we like to be free to do our own thing without worrying about others. That may sound selfish, but at our age that's the way we feel!

We love to meet other people at campgrounds, have coffee and maybe go out for a burger. We make new friends at just about every CG we stay at!

I always try to help others at the campground any way I can. I'm a pretty good handyman and have a lifetime of electronics experience, so that comes in handy sometimes!

We don't go for the fine dining, concerts, opera, etc. Nothing wrong with that, just not our thing. We love the outdoors, especially out west!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We hard to classify as well. We're still fairly young (at least to some here)! We are intensely private folks in a friendly way. We are quick with a hello and a helping hand if need be, but prefer to spend our time to ourselves. We, like so many with no kids around anymore, just have that strong desire to get out and be free. So we are!
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:31 AM   #28

We haven't retired yet so we tow our trailer where we go. Usually 3 weeks solid and a bunch of weekends. We live to travel and so donor kids and dog. We like hiking and kayaking and fishing etc... All the outdoorsy stuff. Not to say we don't like fine dining and shows too. We usually camp alone but do 1 week a year with extended family in a different locale every year so far.

Our long term plans for when we retire include a bigger trailer and more time on the road. I don't see clubs or caravans in our future. Maybe some longer trips with friends or family but not a heck of a lot of that.
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote