Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
First of all AARP is not an insurance company...Their Medicare Supplement and Medicare Advantage is written by United Healthcare and AARP receives a "fee" from United Healthcare for AARP's endorsment.

Also, a plan F coverage is the same no matter what company you go with. The only difference is the price that the company charges and how good their service is after the sale, and your agent has a lot to do with that....

Another thing to think about is that a Medicare Supplement will be good anywhere in the US that you travel to, and a Plan F will have some limited foreign travel benefits to it....

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #16

If your turning 65 is your insurance part of your retirement? Mine was the main insurance and then when I went to Medicare it became my secondary.

Speaking of drug plans, anybody ponie up for Walgreen's drug club? I just found out they changed there club and now they have tiered rates. Just picked up my heart medicine and it is 80% more than it was three months ago. Switching to Wal-Mart. There's are still $9/three months.(And it is free, no club rate)

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Perry White, my current compsny insurance ends when I turn 65 and Medicare kicks in. Even though I would like to keep it, that is not and option. I will have to find a Plan F and drug plan for sure. It would be nice if the "government" knew how to keep things simple instead of making a monster that is to deal with. Right now Im just trying to research all I can and come up with what is best for my situation. Thanks to everyone that has offered advice and direction.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
First of all, you have to decide if you want to pay deductibles on the suppliment plan. I chose not to take that chance. If you choose the
Plan F suppliment there will never be any deductible! They will pay everything that Medicare does not pay. The doctor or hospital writes off all that Medicare and Plan F do not pay. Yes, the Plan F is more expensive but unless you are and remain in perfect health I believe it will always be much less expensive in the long run. My wife has had four back operations in the last two years which probably totaled well over $100,000, and we have not paid one dime out-of-pocket!
You will have exactly the same coverage under Plan F no matter what company you choose to go with. Your main concern should be to select a company with the highest rating and the lowest cost. Also, have your agent check their rate increases over the previous 5 years or so.
Once you tell your agent that you want Plan F, then they can do all the legwork to find the best deal for you.
Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #19

Your going to be surprised to see the difference in what they bill Medicare and what they end up accepting. My sup insurance hardly has to pay anything. I can't believe the Govt beats them down like that.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #20

Unfortunately, this is a bad time to be deciding what to do as the whole ObamaCare thing is up in the air. The new rules have everybody subject to mandates for all sorts of things. Problems like AIDs, drug abuse, obesity, and all sorts of lifestyle problems will have to be covered which increases the costs. Half a $trillion is removed from Medicare under it. Advantage is going to go away. If ObamaCare is voted out the half $trillion remains and all of the plans will be more "cafateria" style where you chose what you want. I will be on my own for drug abuse counciling, but I won't need it. This is a real bad time to be deciding on plans. Not what you wanted to hear I am sure.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Obamacare ... Half a $trillion is removed from Medicare under it.
This isn't the place for a political debate, but that statement simply isn't true, as has been explained many times.

It is true that the Affordable Care Act (or as you call it, Obamacare) will have implications for health care finances for everyone -- that, after all, was the point. Each person should research what the impact will be on their individual situation.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just a note...The name is NOT Obamacare. It is actually The Affordable Care Act. Now back to the thread.

As noted, Plane F, H or what ever provides the exact same benefits from all providers. We found after talking to our primary care provider, some plans are much easier for them to deal with than others.

Ken

Ken
Old 08-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #23

NO NO he started it The name sticks. Because I don't think affordable applies to it.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
@Linsey richards, I agree it is a bad time to have to do this but I had no say in when I was brought into this world. Had I been given a choice in that, I would have opted for a time long ago when America was young. And I sure didnt mean to start a problem or discussion about obamacare. We all have opinions on that subject. I simply need information that I can use to make an informed decision. But, I do appreciate the advise I have been given here and will use it to assist with that decision. But I cringe everytime I think about the "government" handling my healthcare.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #25

I remember when my son was born in 1965. Had no insurance and the hospital bill for "5" days for my wife and him was a total of $125. And it wasn't that low because I was poor, well, I was, but that was the average bill. The good old days.

I would have gotten a vasectomy when I was 8 years old if I new what I do now.

Probably wouldn't of done any good. He still looks like the guy down the street . HA
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #26

medicare decisions

I'll try to simplify.

First you have two options. Standard Medicare or Medicare Advantage.

Standard Medicare pays appx 80% of charges, you pay the 20% balance. You can purchase a medicare supplement plan that covers that 20%. Price will vary by state of residence, and plan options that you choose (f is the most popular). Supplement policy will run around $120 to $160 per month. (you also pay the appx $110 that is held out of your check.)

Medicare Advantage is a PPO or HMO plan (and is very limited in coverage oitside of your immediate local area, in spite of what their reps will tell you on the phone). It can be at no additional fee (above that $110 that is held out of your check) or can be substantially more, depending on choices you make.

Then, there is part D. Drugs. Many options, choices, and prices.

My advice would be to talk to an independent agent, who represents several companies, and he (she) will be happy to assist you. No obligation.

And keep asking questions. It can be a lot of money and a lot of responsibility.

GL Arnold
Old 08-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #27

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post

I would have gotten a vasectomy when I was 8 years old if I new what I do now.

Probably wouldn't of done any good. He still looks like the guy down the street . HA
LOL.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #28

The Advantage Plans will be going away when the new whatever you wish to call it goes into affect and the money that wasn't taken out of Medicare starts getting taken out of Medicare. Gym memberships (with Dr's recomendation) will be eliminated and lots of folks at my gym are complaining about this. Our gym memberships total (for 2 of us) $57/month at Anytime Fitness and I highly recommend doing such a thing. Amazing how much better you feel. Helps a lot after my heart bypass. They are good at any of them and they have them all over the US.