Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
The Advantage Plans will be going away when the new whatever you wish to call it goes into affect and the money that wasn't taken out of Medicare starts getting taken out of Medicare. Gym memberships (with Dr's recomendation) will be eliminated and lots of folks at my gym are complaining about this.
I don't know where you're getting your info (nor do I claim to know all the facts) but, so far as I know, Medicare Advantage plans are not going away, though government payments to them are being reduced. The oft-quoted $500 million is not being "taken out" of Medicare; it is an estimate of how much less will be spent on Medicare in the next 10 years than was expected to be spent before the ACA changes to the program. Medicare costs won't drop, they will still rise over the 10-year period, but are expected to rise by that much less than they would have.

I've also seen nothing to indicate that the plans that offer gym memberships will drop that benefit. Undoubtedly, though, some people are likely to suffer from changes in health insurance and Medicare benefits, while others will certainly gain. The elimination of the "donut hole" is a good example of the gains, along with the end of companies denying coverage due to "pre-existing conditions." I personally like the requirement that companies spend at least 80% of their premium income on actual care -- we just got a year-end rebate on my daughter's college health insurance policy.

The ACA certainly isn't perfect, because like all legislation, it represented a compromise. But health care finance in this country was on the road to ruin, and something had to be done. I only hope that some spirit of compromise returns to our political system, so that it can be made better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #30

ObamaCare is cutting $125 BILLION (over a decade) from Medicare Advantage to fund the presently uninsured. This has been widely publicized. The purpose is to make the expendature of for Advantage to equal that of regular Medicare and Part D (which is part of Mediare Advantage). The gym memberships cuts (which I kinda agree with since it is so widely abused) are just one of many things that are going to be cut to make this happen. There has been a lot of flap over the 6 week "demonstration project" to extend the program past the elections. I might add that the elimination of the "donut hole" is also done over a decade and initial changes are minimal. I was in the donut hole myself last year due to my open heart surgery and associated drug costs. The whole way the "donut" hole was arrived at. It was a compromise between the Repubs who wanted to cap the benefits at current level and the Democrats who wanted it to be higher, Now somehow it is the Rep's fault. With the pre-existing conditions, there is really no gains, there is just a shifting of costs from the sick to the healthy. If I have a prexisting condition (as we both do), rather than paying more for it, me and all policy holders pay more for their policy. Costs are just shifted. There is no free lunch. The Doctors and Nurses still get paid. The drug companies still get paid. They are now just getting paid by everybody rather than the people who have the illness. Even though I have diabetes, (a preexisitng condition), I don't feel right having my friends and neighbors pay for my misfortune or possibly my lifestyle choices. When somebody has conditions from smoking or from being obese, their friends and neighbors have to pay for the extra cost instead of the overeater or smoker. To me, not what the founders intended. The 80/20 thing should and used to be taken care of by the free market principles on which the country was founded.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #31

Thor Owners Club
$500 billion, not million -- sorry, my typo.

I still see no evidence that Advantage or gym memberships are going away ... I guess only time will tell.

I don't give credit or blame to either side alone for the mess that is U.S. health care financing either before or after ACA. I just think it's inexcusable that, while we in this country have the greatest health care in the world available to us, many of us can't afford it.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #32

If you do any international traveling you need to know the Medicare coverage stops at the US shoreline and you would need to buy separate insurance when traveling overseas. I would keep this in mind when you are looking so you can have this coverage included or available for purchase when needed.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Standard Medicare pays appx 80% of charges, you pay the 20% balance. You can purchase a medicare supplement plan that covers that 20%. Price will vary by state of residence, and plan options that you choose (f is the most popular). Supplement policy will run around $120 to $160 per month. (you also pay the appx $110 that is held out of your check.)
Medicare only pay 80% of charges they approve. Dr may bill $220 and Medicare may only approve of $95 and pay 80% of the $95 and supplemental pays the other 20%.

My F supplemental runs $292 a month. Sure would like to pay the $120-160 you say.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #34

Florida Cooters Club
Thumbs up Medicare Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
I will soon hit the 65 year mark. When this happens I will then loose my company insurance and must rely on Medicare. What would anyone recommend as the best supplemental policy? I live in Georgia if it matters where one lives. I am in good physical condition overall but if I live, I know this is subject to drastic change. I have looked at the government website but it was not much help. I have a couple of friends in the insurance business that I could ask, but they would try to sell me a policy. Any help greatly appreciate.
I have used a Medicare Advantage plan since day one in place of Midicare and it is really great. My DW & I have Humana Gold Plus and love it. We pay no "CO-PAY" for generic meds, doctor visits, get free glasses every 2 years and much more. There is no additional cost beyond the regular cost taken from our SS checks. GO to "Medicare.gov" for more info.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeobumm View Post
I have used a Medicare Advantage plan since day one in place of Midicare and it is really great. My DW & I have Humana Gold Plus and love it. We pay no "CO-PAY" for generic meds, doctor visits, get free glasses every 2 years and much more. There is no additional cost beyond the regular cost taken from our SS checks. GO to "Medicare.gov" for more info.

Rodeobum, we are on the same plan as you and it is much better than what I had as private insurance and it is cheaper for us.

All of the negative people on the Affordable care Act, are only getting the negative info fed to us by certain government officials. Set down and read the read paperwork and not the negative garbage....get the good as well as the bad.

Ken
Old 08-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
If you do any international traveling you need to know the Medicare coverage stops at the US shoreline and you would need to buy separate insurance when traveling overseas. I would keep this in mind when you are looking so you can have this coverage included or available for purchase when needed.
Medicare may stop, however, if you have a "Plan F" then you will have "limited benefits" while overseas.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Medicare only pay 80% of charges they approve. Dr may bill $220 and Medicare may only approve of $95 and pay 80% of the $95 and supplemental pays the other 20%.

My F supplemental runs $292 a month. Sure would like to pay the $120-160 you say.
What company are you with??? What state are you in??? Here in VA (depending on your zipcode and what company you choose) plan F starts around $102.00 and some change/mo.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #38
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not eligible yet but attended a meeting last year and in Fl the plan f was also about the same $292. I believe it was United Healthcare.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,
Guess I wil put my 2 cents in although I haven't read all the posts.

We are on AARP's supplement program using Plan F and it runs about $352 a month for the 2 of us. This coverage pays for everything including the deductible and since I have had it I haven't paid a nickel. It also alows you to go to any doctor or any hospital whereas Medicare Advantage does not and they have a list of doctors you can go to. For Prescription my wife has Humana from Wal-mart and I go to the VA for my prescriptions.

All in all we are happy with Medicare and AARP supplemental including Gym usage which AARP pays for.

Good luck in making your decision.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you decide to full time, or travel extensively, that will really limit your choices. That is probably the first thing that should be on your checklist. It will narrow your choices and make everything easier.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #41

Quote:
f you decide to full time, or travel extensively, that will really limit your choices. That is probably the first thing that should be on your checklist. It will narrow your choices and make everything easier.
This was certainly the case with us when we decided. You can't have anything that has a network unless it is going to be in your expected travel area. Remember that your supplemental and your part D can be with different companies. If you travel a lot the ones that accept nationwide like Wal-Mart or Wallgreens are great. Some of the 90 day supply mail pharmacies are cheap, but don't work well if you travel a lot.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
What company are you with??? What state are you in??? Here in VA (depending on your zipcode and what company you choose) plan F starts around $102.00 and some change/mo.
State of Florida have F with United Healthcare $292 month.
Age also has a bearing on price of F.

So far for 2012(through May) United Healthcare have paid out $5,885.16 for their 20%. And I still have more bills coming in.
My out of pocket has only been the premium payments.
That will total around $6,758.40 plus all Co-Payments on Prescriptions that Total $1,128 is so far in 2012.

For D I have Humana at $41.50 a month. And probably will reach the bubble in 2-3 months from now.

Above doesn't include what I pay Medicare every month.
I had a 7% annuity end last year that put me in Medicare's higher rate of paying this year.
Pay Medicare $199.80 and Part D $29.90 a month.

Next Jan. it will go back down to no extra for D and B will be 1/2.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote