Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What Medicare Supplement to get?

I will soon hit the 65 year mark. When this happens I will then loose my company insurance and must rely on Medicare. What would anyone recommend as the best supplemental policy? I live in Georgia if it matters where one lives. I am in good physical condition overall but if I live, I know this is subject to drastic change. I have looked at the government website but it was not much help. I have a couple of friends in the insurance business that I could ask, but they would try to sell me a policy. Any help greatly appreciate.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

This is a very individual question and pretty much depends on your own situation (and spouces). You need to do your home work. Each company has multiple plans and then you also have Part D which is seperate. You have only 6 weeks in the year to decide and change also. Medical Adavatage is the best value as it is heavily subsidized, but is due to change for 2013. It has been extended for 6 weeks until after the election, so we don't know the extent of the changes yet. We study it every year and have gone with AARP although I dislike their politics. I have friends who have others and have been generally satisifed. The plans have become simpler in the last few years. If you take a lot of medicine you will have worry about the "donut hole". Under Obama Care, it is scheduled to be phased out over 10 years. There are brokers who will look at your situation and give recomemdations.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for responding. I have looked at and read a good many sites with information regarding this matter but most seem more confusing than anything else. I have a few months before I hit 65 so I have been trying to gather all the information I could as early as I could so I can make an informed decision. I have looked at AARP and I know my parents had this when they were living. Like you, I dont care for their politics but if they are the best for me, then so be it. Again thank you.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I understand your confusion on the best way to go for a supplement; I was in the insurance business for about 5 years and I was totally confused. We wound up going with AARP plans mainly because we are full-timers and travel out of state much of the year. Some plans have reduced coverage if you are not in their network. So for us Medicare Part B and Plan F supplement and a drug plan all from AARP. Good luck on your decision.
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Just be sure it's a company that offers coverage when out of your state of residence. For me, Blue Cross filled that bill. / Larry
Lowhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #6

We also went with AARP in inspit of their politics. It is actually thru United Healthcare. We also have them for Part D. We got into the donut hole last year and it was expensive. We also pay cash for some drugs as places have specials. If you buy a drug called XXX and it costs $50 and you have to pay $7. The $100 goes toward your donut total. Sometimes places will sell it without insurance for say $15. We do that to save the space on the donut hole. When you reach the donut hole, Part D pays nothing. I wish they would make it all simpler. Competion between various company is suppoed to keep the prices lower.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Politics or not, AARP's plans are simply group plans through major insurers that they contract for -- but they are very big groups, which provides some buying power.

We are both still under 65, but use their non-Medicare plan, which is through Aetna. Seems expensive to me, and goes up every year, but when we first shopped around when we retired, it was as good a deal as any.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I narrowed mine and DWs down to BC/BS, $153 @ month. Recent heart attack, air ambulance, and open heart surgery generated a $100,000+ bill, cost me $500.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #9

John, your mail box will soon fill up with companies wanting you business. I was also confused until I called AT&T, who I retired from after 31 years. When I asked what I needed to do, the agent said: "Nothing". Now, my garbage can was full of offers.

I did have three plans to chose from and went with the free one. Minor differences between them. You'll just have to wade through all the different company offers.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be very careful. A lot of the programs are only for use in specific area. As RVers, we wanted coverage away from home. Humanna worked for us. Good all over the USA.

But you need to get a knowledgable agent to work with you and decide the coverage you need and what deductibles and which drug plan.

The mess is as complicated as it looks.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #11

Blue Cross offered a Plan F that covers me in ANY State anywhere I travel. Because of AARP's politics I never considered them. Look at CVS Etna for a really good Prescription Plan as well. I dont use any at this point in time but you never know.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Blue Cross filled the bill for us.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
We looked into several companies and finally found a company who will work for you and not the insurance companies. After requesting a meeting with their representative, we were actually impressed with him and what the company had to offer. They compare different supplement policies and prices and recommend the best fit for you. I am not affiliated in any way with this company, but impressed enough to recommend them as an additional resource. They were able to save us significant money and still allow us to get a very acceptable supplement.

www.medigap360.com

Bruce
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Blue Cross filled the bill for us.
And for me, however my wife, who turned 65 later chose mutul of omaha, one I think would also be good. As for me, i did not consider aarp because of their "politics" nor humana due to their close connects to walmart. I think you will find most companies will be simular in price and if getting F plan coupled with Med B, u will probably have all you need. Drug plan is more complicated and should be taylored to ones drug needs. If you have a favored pharmacy, the pharm tech there should help you and the medicare site is very good....just take your time and enter your drugs then try different plans seeing how the gap will flow. In my case, I take little med of expense so chose plan of low deductable and low monthy expense. IMO (as a pharmacist) , if you do not take much in drugs you still should consider having some sort of drug plan.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote