Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
100% American and nothing more to say about it except I am Damn proud of it. I have visited a lot of countries from Sweden and Norway to South America, Mexico and Canada and most everything in between and I always kiss the ground when I get back to the good old USA. My heritage is Scotch/Irish with a taste of German and a dab of Cherokee Indian in the mix of the past but I just consider myself AMERICAN, nothing more.....

Veterans day is May 30. Honor the people that gave us this freedom....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #30

Nor'easters Club
I'm half & half - as in half Irish and half Italian, born and raised in southeastern New York State, As far as the DW goes, it's half Dutch the rest split between German, English and French. But as stated several times in this thread we are both 100% proud Americans, and feel the history of this country is our history even though a lot of it happened before our families arrived here.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
As stated before most of us are Americans, but our heritage make us who we are. I think looking to the roots of our family is a great way to keep this country interesting. The festivals all across the country are a great way to meld with our fellow Americans, the traditions they bring from the old country ground us. I love going to the Greek, Polish,and German,fests for the great food.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
As stated before most of us are Americans, but our heritage make us who we are.
Couldn't agree more. The USA is entirely comprised of heritages and cultures form elsewhere, truly a "melting pot". This is what makes the USA unique and amazing, and why we love to "celebrate" our unique and diverse cultures.

While those of us who were born here have parents who are, or have been naturalized are "Citizens of the United States of America"...There is no such thing as an "American"..The "political" boundaries of the countries of Canada, the United States of America, Greenland, Mexico, and the other countries north of the Panama Canal are considered the "continent" of North America.

The only people who can lay claim to the title "American" are those indigenous peoples inhabiting the land prior to the "invasion" and subsequent "occupation" of the north american continent by conquering Europeans. (Inuit, Aleut, Comanche. Iroquois, Aztecs, Cheyenne, Olmec, Toltec, Tenochtitlan, Crow, Zapotec, Métis, Mixtec, Aztec, Maya Blackfoot, etc..)

The United States of America is a solely a philosophical and political construct started by an armed rebellion of 13 British colonies in the late 18th century AD.

The history of the last 5000 years is littered with "memories" of similar political and philosophical constructs. The Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Roman, Portuguese, and British Empires are similar examples that no longer exist.

The USA is different in one aspect from all these previous "Empires" in that unlike those other empires that "forced" the destruction of those individual cultural norms to integrate the people into their empire, the USA does not "require" the integration and obliteration of these diverse cultural backgrounds, but instead embraces and celebrates the unique diversity of our cultural differences. IMO this fact is one of the cornerstones that makes this country great!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:39 PM   #33

i am strootch on my dads side that is part stray and part pooch and Hungarian and German on my moms side
the better half is Irish and Cherokee which is the proper name for red headed and mean lol
pwf16129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #34

Ima red neck, my daddy isa red neck, my gran daddy was a red neck an de wife is a full blood cherokee. I call her yes deer.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #35

I am German and Norwegian on my mothers side. I know little about my father but believe he was of Norwegian descent.
My mother's parents were American, he was born in South Dakota and she in Iowa. He came to Canada working for the railroad. Her family migrated to central Idaho where she was born, her parents farmed in Alberta for a few years then returned to Idaho. She stayed behind and married.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I AM USA american and vet both by choice
i beat the draft by enlisting in 1967 and arrived in the US in 1958 at 13 yo
I was born in canada and would never go back except to visit
brianj
Old 05-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
American - need a DNA test to know my ancestry for sure. German, English, French, Irish, Scotch (for drinking), etc.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Scottish, English and Cherokee Indian, u-tlv-quo-di American.

I was raised near Jonesboro, AR and have lived the last 27 years in Orange Beach, AL.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
The Family has been here in the USA since the early 1800's from Ireland [deck hands for the British Navy] abandon ship in the New York City area.
We have been here on my Fathers side over 200 years My Grand Mother came to the USA less than 1 year old from Ireland in 1876.
I consider myself 100% American.
Ireland is the Country of our relatives of the past.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #40

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
The Family has been here in the USA since the early 1800's from Ireland [deck hands for the British Navy] abandon ship in the New York City area......
"Abandon Ship! Did the ship sink in NY harbor??
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:58 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wish you'd put a poll at the top of this post, would be fun to find which nationality bred the most campers. I think Germany is winning so far. I'm German, Irish, Chickisaw indian on one side. German, French, and English on the other. A Mutt for sure.
I was born and raised in Florida, moved to New York 10 years ago and love it. Funny story, met a woman in a bar and after chatting for a while she asked "So what are you?". I had no idea what she wanted to know. Obviously I was a woman. Did she want my job title? She finally clarified that it was my nationality she was interested in. I'd lived 40 years and had never been asked that question. She was then dissapointed that I wasn't Italian. Must be a New York thing, I've been asked the same question at least 50 times since then.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #42

Scottish/German born in "Da Bronx" Raised in Queens, NY, and now I live in Eastern Long Island. I'm a first Generation American.

Husband is 100% Irish, born and raised in Brooklyn. He's a 3rd generation American.
Coleman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote