Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
What not to take Canada trip

We are leaving for Canada on Thursday morning. I have heard there are things that you can not bring to Canada such as red meat, wood, and fruit. Can anyone let me know what we can not take and if there is a limit on some of the stuff we can take.
Thank You Chris

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:56 AM   #2

This site will answer all your questions.
Canada Welcomes You!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
We are leaving for Canada on Thursday morning. I have heard there are things that you can not bring to Canada such as red meat, wood, and fruit. Can anyone let me know what we can not take and if there is a limit on some of the stuff we can take.
Thank You Chris
Guns. Do not try to take any guns into Canada.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

Best to check the website that "lostagain" posted. It's a multitude of items and it changes. The people manning the Canada booth at "The Rally" advised as much.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
No hand guns, long guns are OK for hunting.
J
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What not to bring into Canada

We have crossed into Canada many times in automobiles, private aircraft, fifth wheels, and long haul commercial vehicles. The information offered by lostagain was about what you need. One thing I might mention is that Canada has rules but the individual officer may have his own version of what the rules are. At times one may feel guilty until proven innocent. We remove our dark glasses, look right at the officer, answer the questions truthfully and don't fudge on the truth at all. If they ask if you have a certain item and you suddenly realize you have this item and forgot about it. Tell them what you have if they ask. Chances are they will let you bring it in. We have never had any of our vehicles searched. We have crossed into Canada at perhaps 6 or 7 border crossings. Our trips have included en route trips to Alaska, thru British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatewan for pleasure, business, and shopping.
Have Fun
Milt
Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsuscdds View Post
We have crossed into Canada many times in automobiles, private aircraft, fifth wheels, and long haul commercial vehicles. The information offered by lostagain was about what you need. One thing I might mention is that Canada has rules but the individual officer may have his own version of what the rules are. At times one may feel guilty until proven innocent. We remove our dark glasses, look right at the officer, answer the questions truthfully and don't fudge on the truth at all. If they ask if you have a certain item and you suddenly realize you have this item and forgot about it. Tell them what you have if they ask. Chances are they will let you bring it in. We have never had any of our vehicles searched. We have crossed into Canada at perhaps 6 or 7 border crossings. Our trips have included en route trips to Alaska, thru British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatewan for pleasure, business, and shopping.
Have Fun
Milt
We crossed into New Brunswick from I 95 a few years ago and they thoroughly searched our MH. They found some alcohol we forgot we had and confiscated it. I guess it was a random search.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Please don't bring a "bad attitude" as we get enough home grown ones already. I never travel with a bad attitude because it spoils all the fun and adventure of exploring North America.

I can't fathom why a customs agent would confiscate an American citizen's booze unless of course there was an after work party that night.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #9

Had the booze been declared prior then it probably would not have been confisticated unless was a larger qantity than allowed
Old 08-14-2010, 05:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Had the booze been declared prior then it probably would not have been confisticated unless was a larger qantity than allowed
As I said we forgot we had it on board. We declared what we thought we had then they pulled us off to the side beside a building with a overhang. Made us park there for awhile then they came out went into the MH and went straight to the alcohol that was in a back bedroom cabinet. I have a feeling they had some type of x ray equipment in that building. They gave us a receipt for it and told us we could pick it up on the way out. Only problem was we were exiting Canada at Calais. So bye bye booze
Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Unlike Mexico, there ARE *some* firearms that you can take into Canada with the proper permits.

To find out which firearms can and cannot cross the border and for the proper permits, go to: Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu
Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't forget proof of Canadian insurance coverage

I've crossed the border in B.C and Alberta several times. One thing I did not expect. You may be requested to have proof of Canadian insurance. My U.S. insurance company provided me with a yellow card showing my MH insurance applied in Canada.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #13

Also, if you or anyone in your party have a record of a DUI or similar misdemeanor, you will be denied entry.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Heck our premiere (governor) pulled that one off a few years ago while vacationing in Hawaii and still was allowed back.

I believe that the DUI thing can be gotten around I hear if you have a good lawyer before you leave for Canada. An acquaintance of mine from Michigan needed to get this done because he was required by work to enter Canada on occasion.