Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What region do you feel has the friendliest people ?
Pacific 8 9.88%
Mountain 6 7.41%
West North Central 6 7.41%
West South Central 23 28.40%
East North Central 6 7.41%
East South Central 10 12.35%
Northeast 5 6.17%
Mid-Atlantic 1 1.23%
South Atlantic 16 19.75%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
What region do you feel has the friendliest people ?

Using this map as a reference:

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #2

Lexington, Tx is the friendliest town I have ever been in. I ask the Lady at the post office to forward a general delivery letter to Mo. She not only forwarded the letter but when it came back 3 days latter she called me and then forwarded the letter again. Then called to make sure I received the letter. Just an example.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't vote as there was a not all button. Having traveled most of this great country, I have met many good and a few not so good people and have made many friends all over. I will not rate one group of people over another.

To me, one good apple does not spoil the barrel, if you sort them out.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Lou & Cheri:

Ya know, we find that "friendliness" characteristics of people don't relate to geographical boundaries. We understand what you're looking for, but there's a disconnect between assigning a certain general level of "friendliness" to some prescribed region, AND, actually interacting with folks in such a prescribed region. For example, many ascribe a GENERALLY unfriendly characteristic/trait to folks from, say....New York City. Truth is,......taint true when directly interacting with New Yorkers as a GENERAL rule!! Likewise, many ascribe a VERY friendly characteristic/trait to folks from, say..... Minnesota (as in "Minnesota Nice"), Truth is,...taint true when directly interacting with with Minnesotans as a GENERAL rule!!

There are friendly and (seemingly, to the observer) unfriendly folks EVERYWHERE. Interpersonal Relations just AIN'T geographic specific....EVEN in general. Ya think??

Steve & Lynette
Old 04-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I gave this some thought and decided I could not place a vote. Like the others above, I do not think one area has much of an edge on another.

What I have noticed is a difference around some busy cities and tourist trap areas. There seems to me to be a somewhat less friendly atmosphere during their busy times.

But I don't hold that against them, after all, they are busy!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to be in the minority here but we do think there is a significant difference in the "friendliness" of people in different parts of the country. Being from the west coast, we were used to a "laid back... hey, how are you doing" kind of atmosphere. Superficial? Probably but the general feeling was one of friendly.

In the east, we saw a very distinct change in how we percieved people interact. Little things like eye contact, or saying hello to strangers while walking the dog at the CG were different. People didn't seem to make eye contact and if we said hello we were often looked at suspiciously. In the mid west there was also a sense of being an "outsider".

Without a doubt Texas is different. A short version of our story is that we locked our keys in our car with our three dogs trapped inside on Galveston Island. Two young ladies from a local store tried helping get us in using slim jims they had behind the counter while the owner of the shop got us both something cold to drink. The ladies couldn't get in our car so one called her husband who had just gotten home from work. While we were waiting by our car, a 40 something lady in a black Lexus stopped to ask if she could help. We told her help was on the way and she asked if we'd like to come to her house for something cold to drink while we waited. When the other lady's husband arrived he had tools to get into our car. I asked what I owed him and he said $5 for gas... I gave him $30.

So, I've heard all the jokes people sometimes tell about Texas but when it comes to hospitality I haven't seen any other area come close.

JMHO

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The other country 'canada'

The most friendly, fun loving, down to earth, people are in the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. The scenery in that part of Canada is spectacular.

Oh by the way, I am prejudice.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think people react to the way they percive you. I smile alot and like complementing people if they look nice or are smiling and allways get the same in return. I think it catches them off guard and they can't help but smile and be friendly. In all of my years of RVing I can recall only one incident of unfriendly and downright nasty behavior. These are the best years of my life and I think it shows.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
The most friendly, fun loving, down to earth, people are in the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. The scenery in that part of Canada is spectacular.

Pretty accurate list, but I would add Newfoundland.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
As we also travel around this Great Country we find that most of the time we are in contact with with people who are doing the same as us. Who are we in contact with are people from all over North America in the RV Resorts [campgrounds].
Many of the stores we go to have Temporary workers, who are from all over North America.
We have also met people from all the areas who feel we are pain n the A**es. We were in one area in early October before most of the snow-bird got there and the owner of the local Auction told everyone there that as of the first Auction in November that all the thieves would be back and that before you could remove anything from the building it had to be paid for and upon buying something to not leave it sitting by itself as if it was stolen you would still have to pay for it.
Local guy told me what happen, guy picked up whole bunch of thing he bid on and by accident pick up something that was not his, next day went back to closed auction told owner what happen with item, owner still made a big deal out of it and still told everyone the guy was a crook, never told what the guy did the next day. Local who told me doesn't work for him no more.
We have met wonderful people from all over and one jerk like this makes it bad for all the good ones.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #11

Parts of our great country are definitely friendlier than others. Anybody says any different has not done much traveling. Not talking about RVers or RV parks...they (we) are different...I'm talking about the natives. I'll keep MHO to myself so as not to start World War III.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without a doubt, wherever a group of campers have gotten together is where you will find the friendliest people! I've camped most of my lifetime starting at an early age going with my parents in a tent, and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've seen unfriendly people while camping. I think it's just plain too hard to be unfriendly while camping and most people can't do it!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Texans are the friendliest and most fun loving....end of discussion.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to mariogeneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase

Let's not forget Quebec!