Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Hmm... I'm about 3 yrs. I hope from the big R and am trying to do some planning. I'll be checking in on this this thread often to hear from all you experts. I have been a boater for about 40 yrs. 15 of which with larger boats with similar systems to maintain found on most larger RV's. I'm enjoying searching the ads and learning as I go. We went to our first RV show this weekend to get a little fix and ask questions, touch and feel fabric and construction. Same but different to boats.

tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I liked the work I was doing for many years, until the politics, product directions
Same here...In the day to day work day, I'm not really sure what seems to be more important. The actual job at hand or all the politics & gaming going on.

I have about 525 work days left....I would go right now...fact I would probably give them money for a "buy-out". Too bad our company would never offer a buy out...Too many people well past their retirement age...I'm guessing they are too afraid to actually retire or have nothing to do. I just don't understand it..I'm I missing something? I would say maybe 5-10% of employees there retire under the age of 60, most go 65+ or pass away.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #17
Nothing, Nothing, Nothing. I'm so busy with the MH, house, cars, fishing, hunting, relaxing, smiling and then just general BS. I will never forget the 24/7 in the Army and then 24/7 in the oil patch drilling wells. How can you miss 24/7 work schedule.

: dance:
2016 Dutch Star 4369
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I agree with the article in that: I missed the social interaction with co-workers. I miss 360 Assembly Language I liked the work I was doing for many years, until the politics, product directions, and screwing the customers just got to be too much. So I don't miss that. And now that I've gone through the ACA signup process, I miss the group insurance.
Ha! I wrote 1401 assembler so I got you beat. And no, I don't miss it one little bit!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #20
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I miss the phone calls at 2:00 AM telling me that a system is down and the on site techs can't get it fixed.
I miss the politics of work. Having to tell senior management "that's a good idea but perhaps we should try this first" instead of telling them "that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard"
I miss putting in 36 straight hours fixing something a consultant has tried to install and managed to take an entire system down.
Although it might sound like I hated my job, in reality I loved it and did miss it for awhile. After retirement I fixed everything on the house that could possibly be fixed and some things just because I needed something to do. That's when we decided to go full time. From that time on the focus was on everything we needed to do for that new goal.
Is been two months now and love it. There is always something to do, places to go, people to meet, and things to see. Every few weeks your scenery changes and it starts all over again. I would recommend this life style, whether full or part time, to anyone considering retireing.
You too huh?
On mine I had to stay late or come in early to work with the IT managers in Hong Kong.
Then I went to consulting for Freightliner and set up their SAN and managed an Oracle Financials at Freightliner HQ in Portland OR. 25 million cut back in IT funding so they cut the project, no project, no need for a project manager.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Miss the company perks. Car, fuel track card, electronics, access to restricted website databases and information, lunch with coworkers, good feeling after helping someone in a new or difficult task.
I love retirement but would like a part time job.
Got out of the rat race in 1996 and retired after 30 years, they've been paying me 60% of my working wage ever since.
Went to IT jobs and consulting then that dried up with the downturn.
Now I work evening security in a retirement center 4 days a week. Actually I need the job to get out of the house!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am about 4 months away from retiring from 39 years in the health care/hospital administration field and looking forward to getting out. I know I will miss some of the absolutely wonderful and dedicated people I have been blessed to work with. I will not miss the ever increasing complexity and pressure associated with health care and the doctor politics (and ego's).

I get bored easily and my plan is to mix as much RV travel as we can afford with fishing and other outdoor activities, volunteering in my community, and maybe part time seasonal work in the lake community where we currently live.

Also, as already noted in this thread, don't many of us who own these RV beasts have a part time job keeping them running and fixing stuff that breaks?

Oh, and I am sure I will miss the paycheck .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #23
Lets see,
I miss walking on a concrete floor 10-11 hours a day
I miss laying awake at night trying to solve the next days production issues
I miss being responsible for highly flammable chemicals
I miss customers calling and complaining about what a crappy product we built for them, when they refuse to learn how to use the crappy product they fully spec'd out
I miss the alarm clock going off at 5am
Wait a minute,
I don't miss anything of the above..
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #24
Thanks for reminding of the good 'ol working days:

The on-going 60+ hours a week. The constant deadlines. The never-ending stress. Almost never being able to take holidays. The responsibility. Demanding clients. Not being able to spend enough time with family. No time for hobbies and leisure activities.

You could never pay me enough to go back to that...

Funny, when you're younger and looking forward to retirement some day, you think of all the wonderful things you'll be able to do when you get there.

But when you are there, your body slows down and there's just never enough time in a day to get even 1/2 of what you thought you'd be able to. Pffft... Always time for the new-found hobby though - RV-ing.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't miss getting up at 4 AM, the 35 mile each way commute that on average took 1 hour each way. Don't miss dealing with personnel issues. Don't miss getting a call at 3:50 PM when quiting time is 4 PM that a piece field equipment is down that has to be running that night and finding out the operator knew about it since 10 AM. Don't miss getting a call at 1 AM that an engine or generator is down. I have plenty to keep me busy around the house and working on the MH.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I don't miss much, just a few folks I worked with for a few years...

Nine heart surgeries in the nineties eventually led to a decision to give up my high pressure job. Guess I wasn't quite smart enough to get out of that position before it contributed so much to my health challenges. That department hired 4 people to take over my work assignments, first guy was a gent with 30+ years as a professional engineer.

A year or so after my retirement, had an interesting discussion with my cardiologist, about my 'difficulty' letting go of a working life.. His reply was along the lines of having never heard anyone on their deathbed complain about not having 'worked enough'. Usual deathbed regrets were about more important things than work. Not enough time with family, loved ones, and friends. Or about not having traveled enough, or done more interesting things with their lives. His reply really opened my eyes, particularly since he was/is a cancer survivor. That discussion marked the spot where I embraced what I had and let go of the past. At the conclusion of my last heart surgery, my wife was informed that I had a 50% chance of survival past three days...and if I survived, a 90% chance of permanent brain damage. Fifteen and a half years later, still here, and seem to be doing okay on 10% brain power. At least, so far...

So do I miss much about work?

Oh, HELL no!!!
SeabeckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #27
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP ask what we miss about work. I interpret that to mean employment. I do not miss employment in the slightest.

I do not miss work either because I work, I work a lot in my retirement but I am not employed. It makes a huge difference to me.

I traded my employment perks for T-shirt and shorts and sandals. I did my time made my contribution and turned it over to younger folks with new and different ideas. The adjustment to retirement took about three minutes. I haven't the faintest idea if the younger folks had better ideas because I have not paid any attention to their job.

I work at exactly what I want to when I want. I pick jobs, big jobs of my own design and do them, for whom ever I want, when ever I want. It keeps me vital and interested and challenged and busy. I never accept money. Employment takes the fun out of it. Mostly I make furniture or things from wood, a hobby becoming my volunteer avocation.

Right now we are helping a member of our family through a health crisis. It is work. I am the driver for two pre school grand kids, I'm changing diapers, doing laundry, shopping, cooking, washing dishes and cleaning house cajoling a two and four year old into eating their broccoli and I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time. Same with my wife. It is exhausting and stimulating. Our MH is right outside their home making this possible.

We do not miss our former associations from work. We stay in touch with a few but now we have an entirely new set of friends we have met as a result of spending the winter in our motor home usually in the southwest.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:23 AM   #28
New Horizons Owners Club
I retired last week and only miss seeing friends at work everyday. Can't say there is anything else that I miss. I did like many aspects of my job, but I am definitely ready to do something different. I suspect the paycheck will be missed as we adjust to our new budget.

2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote