Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Retirement may not be everyone, but it is just right for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sure glad I hear 99% of you retired folks, didn't look back....Myself, I have a little under 2-1/2 years...But will only be 53...I figured that will give me a good 15 - 20 years to hike, swim, ski, golf just about when I want....where I want. I think most of the posters here on this thread are coming more from the professional side of employment...I'm just your run of the mill laborer .... working stiff...

The last 5 years I have been really watching how I protect my body from this job that can wear you down physically, especially knees and hips. I'm working on the mental part now....I can't get myself worked up over stupid stuff...just have to walk away. Let the young pups fight it out.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would have to say the paycheck. Not to be full of myself but I always liked solving problems that my boss never seemed to be able to.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Good thread!

What do I miss? I retired in 2003 and have had time to think about it.

I miss my really cool big Ford Super Duty 4x4 company vehicle and the credit card assigned to it. If I had to choose just one to get back, it would be the credit card.

That is it.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A week after I retired I called in sick one morning. Just for fun you know.

There is a govt study published in a book called "The Governmental Grid". We had to read it in Management School. What it details is what happens to folks when they retire with no clear path or plans, or what happens if one spouse dies unexpectedly. I have thought about that now for twenty or more years and I believe the findings were accurate.

If you retire with no hobby or plan you will live on an average of two to four years before you have a life threatening event such as a heart attack or cancer. If a spouse dies within two years the surviving spouse will also suffer some serious malady. These aren't predictions, they are facts taken from the govt monitoring their retiring employees. They could do this because of the retirement system.

The key is have something that turns you on before you retire. Doesn't matter if it's panning for gold or knitting scarves. Just have something to keep you interested.

Another problem is that for a lot of people their job is their identity, ie. "Joe the Plumber", "Edward the Doctor", Emily the Accountant". Then when they retire they don't know who they are anymore. Whatever you choose, just choose something. You can always find something else later.

The best medicine is to be happy!

Signed from Jim the Skeet Shooter, VFW Officer, Gardener, Rver, Bird Watcher, Grandpa, Fisherman, Computer Guru.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
There are only two things I miss, some of the people I had worked with that were friends and the MONEY.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Really liked my work doing system software and hardware support. Hated my job at the end when management seemed to become more and more ridiculous.

I love not working. Am getting better at procrastinating. Seriously, I can always find something to do. When I get tired of this I will find a job bagging groceries or something.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #36

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Ha! I wrote 1401 assembler so I got you beat. And no, I don't miss it one little bit!
I used to operate one of those doggone boat anchors! Lemme see, now... Press A, press B, flip toggle switch, or was it press B first,? Hmmm. Can't remember, that's a long time ago.
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #37

Retired USAF 1972 and I don;t miss a damn thing....I'll be 80 next year..Worked as a theater mgr for 18 years and dont miss that either. I love laying around and doing nothing (er very little) Dont work on my rv anymore because I can afford to have someone else do it. And over the years it has been a good unit.. (96 Damon Intruder) very little maint required, Nothing broke.. (yeah really !) Even that notorious in tank fuel pump still working (knock on wood) and the "god awful" transmission still working just fine..Life is good..Exercise and walk a mile every day. Have some aching joints but who the hell doesnt at almost 80. You folks have a nice day and dont worry too much about not doing anything and stay away from Doctors them guys will kill ya...
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I'm sure glad I hear 99% of you retired folks, didn't look back....Myself, I have a little under 2-1/2 years...But will only be 53...I figured that will give me a good 15 - 20 years to hike, swim, ski, golf just about when I want....where I want. I think most of the posters here on this thread are coming more from the professional side of employment...I'm just your run of the mill laborer .... working stiff...

The last 5 years I have been really watching how I protect my body from this job that can wear you down physically, especially knees and hips. I'm working on the mental part now....I can't get myself worked up over stupid stuff...just have to walk away. Let the young pups fight it out.
Do not hesitate to retire early. I did at 55 and spent 10 good winters somewhere warm, but yesterday I had to cancel 3 months reservations for a park in Fl. the doc says I need 7 to 8 weeks of radiation. figure I better not delay, so I can have many more.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #39

I have been retired for 2 years and I still don't miss a thing.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
I don't miss getting up at 4 AM, the 35 mile each way commute that on average took 1 hour each way. Don't miss dealing with personnel issues. Don't miss getting a call at 3:50 PM when quiting time is 4 PM that a piece field equipment is down that has to be running that night and finding out the operator knew about it since 10 AM. Don't miss getting a call at 1 AM that an engine or generator is down. I have plenty to keep me busy around the house and working on the MH.

Chuck
Just thought I would add a little. Don't get me wrong, I had a good job and liked it, working as a mechanical maintenance supervisor at public agency in S. CA. Had very good guy's working for me and very supportive manager. I still keep in contact with them and meet them for lunch occasionally.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #41

Been 4 years now. Don't miss the pressure and daily crisis. All my family and friends were horrified what might become of me after retirement. Did I thrive on crisis? Would I turn the mundane into crisis? Well guess what. No hobbies, no crisis, no worries. Amazingly, nothing even gets started before 11am! Once it does, the day is 2/3 over. Where does the time go. The first year I was mad because I couldn't sleep past 5:30am! As time went on, It's rare if I open my eyes before 8am! Yeah!
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:52 AM   #42

Interesting read ....

I suppose we all can relate to almost everything mentioned in these posts.

In my case, I really do NOT miss a darn thing. Well, let me take that back. I retired from the Air Force in 1991 after 26 years and, believe it or not, I still miss the military. Every time I go onto a military base somewhere I get those pleasant feelings of belonging and satisfaction in my job.

After that I spent almost 20 years in another career but took an early retirement, mainly because I saw the writing on the wall prior to our current administration. I'm not trying to make this political but I really did fear the future. I sold the sticks and bricks before the crash. I pulled my money out of the 401K before the crash. I settled into the RV lifestyle back then and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Some mentioned missing a paycheck. Funny, but with my pensions, savings from the 401K and Social Security I make more in retirement then I did when working ... or it seems so as I have a lot more free money.

Many mentioned missing the interaction with other people. That's hard to do when you travel in an RV. If you are the least bit outgoing, you meet and interact with people constantly. That is unless you go to one site and stay in the RV.

All in all, I think these retirement years are the best years of my life. I'm not getting shot at, I'm not getting blamed for stuff I didn't do just so the boss can get out of trouble with his boss. I don't have any sort of daily "grind."

And in closing ... to reemphasize what many others have said .... The key is to STAY ACTIVE. How can you help not to ... when you travel in an RV!?!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote