Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Got out of the rat race in 1996 and retired after 30 years, they've been paying me 60% of my working wage ever since.
Went to IT jobs and consulting then that dried up with the downturn.
Now I work evening security in a retirement center 4 days a week. Actually I need the job to get out of the house!
Well done.

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Retired USAF 1972 and I don;t miss a damn thing....I'll be 80 next year..Worked as a theater mgr for 18 years and dont miss that either. I love laying around and doing nothing (er very little) Dont work on my rv anymore because I can afford to have someone else do it. And over the years it has been a good unit.. (96 Damon Intruder) very little maint required, Nothing broke.. (yeah really !) Even that notorious in tank fuel pump still working (knock on wood) and the "god awful" transmission still working just fine..Life is good..Exercise and walk a mile every day. Have some aching joints but who the hell doesnt at almost 80. You folks have a nice day and dont worry too much about not doing anything and stay away from Doctors them guys will kill ya...
Hey Don what type of tranny?

Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm lots of aside comments about the "boss". I was the boss. I wonder?

Well anyway for clarification I do not "miss" any of my employees. I think of them many fondly. I do stay in contact with one or two and they me.

But I am eternally grateful as I was then for the fine job they did on behalf of a wonderful organization. I hope I said it enough then as I am willing to acknowledge now. I believe I did but it only matters if they do as well. They were part and parcel to my own success.

Although I do not miss it per se one of my great joys while "the boss" was to mentor people into positions of greater authority and with it all the benefits that accrue.
Many are now "the boss". I hope is is all they hoped it would be.

Miss it, nope, but I enjoyed it while I was:"the boss".
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
A week after I retired I called in sick one morning. Just for fun you know.
I think I'm going to do that too....That would be a hoot.

I can picture my supervisor now (she)...But then again she is praying for a "but-out" herself...I hope to go in 2.5 years, too bad buy-outs are never offered to us guys working on the floor.

Quote:
Another problem is that for a lot of people their job is their identity, ie. "Joe the Plumber", "Edward the Doctor", Emily the Accountant". Then when they retire they don't know who they are anymore. Whatever you choose, just choose something. You can always find something else later.
Yup a lot of that happens at my place..guys pushing 45+ years...there, with no plans to retire...work is their entertainment. sad.

I remember this one guy..I said Donny why don't you retire, your single, I know you have to be well off, go buy yourself a Harley Davidson and tour the country. What, I'd kill myself...Well one day the the big boss called Donny and his co-worker in the office and said Boys, were going to be changing the way you do your job, everything you have been doing is now going to be switched over to a new computer system...were going "paper-less" Donny was old school...That was all it took. Donny announced right there, Boss I'm done, I'm retiring and walked out...I mean walked out of the building period...never came back...Guys on the floor said where is Donny going...he walked...didn't even say good bye...just left. I saw him about a year later at a high school football game. WOW he must have gained 75 pounds...I couldn't believe it...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #47
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a guy working for me as an Air Traffic Controller. He retired and then came back a month later as what they called a rehired annuitant. Double dipping.

One day I gave him a break and he stayed out for a long time. I finally started paging him back to the Control Room and he still didn't come back. Finally the Personal Dept called me at the desk and said you can quit paging him, he retired again and left an hour ago.

I happened to run into him a couple weeks later at a Mall. He told me it was nothing personal, he just said to himself "what the heck and I doing here", and left. Still friends today.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I had a guy working for me as an Air Traffic Controller. He retired and then came back a month later as what they called a rehired annuitant. Double dipping.
Yes, we have DD'ing too, but you only get what you earned in pension credits before 1999, and have to be 62 years old to start to double dip. So in another 15 , 20 years DDing will be gone.

Since this thread has started I have reevaluated why I see so many of my co-workers staying 40+ years... In the last 10 years I can recall only one person retiring at his 30 and out date...( at 50 years old) The others all were 35 to 45 years of service and mid to late 60's.

I asked my one buddy last night Elmer "how come you are still working, your still doing the work the 20 year olds are doing". He said "I have nothing to do" Even his wife who we know said his doctor says his body is shot: back, knees...40 years of physical labor has reduce a 65 year old to much older looking. I think he is afraid to let go. I think he enjoys seeing his name as the top seniority guy on 2nd shift.

I'm just so glad I hear all of you retired RVers here on this site say "Nope don't miss the grind". Rving is a lifestyle change...90% of people don't have a clue what the freedom RVing can bring...We all do our own thing: Full-timers, week-enders, extended stays....The important thing is you are spending time together, doing what you choose to do and where...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, what great thread. I would like to retire, (I'm almost 60) to travel and play with my toys, but I know ultimately that I will need to work part time doing something, doesn't matter what. I know I will need to have some focus beyond hobbies, at least for a while.
Where I work, in an academic setting, people retire and then come back and teach a few classes, or fill in staff positions as needed. Funny, they do this for a year or two and then they leave for good. It's almost as if they can't quite let go and have to ease into the transition.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #50
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm, got riffed when I was 51 in 1989. Took a year off and ended up starting my own consulting business in a database language. My son came on board after he got an IT degree. He did software design on a product. 5 years later the contracts dried up and ended up dissolving the company. Worked for Northwest Airlines for a year as a temporary employee. They didn't renew and I decided to have a "sugar mommy" for a while. We both retired at 64. Went full timing for a year and a half but ended up building a stix-brics 5 miles from the grand kids.

Don't miss working in the IT field at all. I dabble with web sites for the church and motor home club. Several years after retiring I was diagnosed with a lung disease (not cancer - IPF) that now has me on oxygen 24/7. Eventually I'll be "pushing posies." Had to create a much smaller "bucket list" as traveling has really been curtailed.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
Hmm, got riffed when I was 51 in 1989. Took a year off and ended up starting my own consulting business in a database language. My son came on board after he got an IT degree. He did software design on a product. 5 years later the contracts dried up and ended up dissolving the company. Worked for Northwest Airlines for a year as a temporary employee. They didn't renew and I decided to have a "sugar mommy" for a while. We both retired at 64. Went full timing for a year and a half but ended up building a stix-brics 5 miles from the grand kids. Don't miss working in the IT field at all. I dabble with web sites for the church and motor home club. Several years after retiring I was diagnosed with a lung disease (not cancer - IPF) that now has me on oxygen 24/7. Eventually I'll be "pushing posies." Had to create a much smaller "bucket list" as traveling has really been curtailed.
You hang in man and tag along with someone!
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
I retired from the VA Hospital here where we live. The ONLY thing I miss about that job is helping my fellow veterans.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What do I miss since retirement

Company Politics
Male Bovine Produced Organic Ferterlizer

How much do I miss it..

NOT ONE BIT

It's why I retired early.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #54

When I retired I was not ready, but in the military 60 is the 'normal' age that you need to leave. I was one of those that was happy in the mid level NCO ranks, but I kept messing up and getting promoted to higher positions. When I reached the rank of 'Command Sergeant Major' I then realized that I was now in a position to work on all of the times I felt were wrong. While I had several assignments that were well worth doing I did have some that were not too much fun. I enjoyed most of the people, the training that I did and those that I taught, the missions and the support that I received during my time. Yes I had disagreements with those above me, but officers can be that way.
What do I not miss, sending troops on missions outside the 'wire' that got put in harms way, having troops getting injured and killed. I do not miss the funerals, the heart broken families and telling their co-workers what happened.
Now I am able to relax, enjoy life and reflect on what I had accomplished.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for you sacrifices and your service.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
The tall blonde down on the fourth floor accounting department!

bertman is offline   Reply With Quote