Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 AM   #57
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too funny.

Trashman 1998 winnebago adventurer 33ft. f 53 460 7.5 16in. Wheels. 2005 Harley Davidson duece
trashman1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #58
I really liked my jobs while in the work force. Spent half of my career on the drill rigs. (Young mans job) The second half was managing 7 dams. Over the span of 35 years, I had some really good crews working for me.

I really don't miss the work, but I do miss some of the people. Being full timers is a very good occupation, and I'll sure miss this when we can no longer be on the road.

Rocky, Anniey, and Joy (Our Toy Poodle)
2006 Bounder Diesel 38L
Rockbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #59
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What do I miss.. Well as it turns out I miss a lot of tension, stress, frustration and attempts to get me fired by folks who did not like the fact that I was not a "party person" so never went out drinking with them, just did my job, better than they could imagine.

I sort of miss the bi-weekly treasurer's warrant (paycheck) But the monthly one is dang close to the same size..

So most of what I miss is.. Well.. Male Bovine produced organic fertilizer. (If you do not understand that try BS).

And to be honest,, I rather enjoy missing that.

I will say that from time to time the job involved playing a bit of a game.. the old "I'm smarter than you" game, between a person out on the street who was suspected of wrongdoing and the Law Enforcement Officer who was detaining and questioning him backed up by his dispatcher (That would be me).. And I rather enjoied winning that game.

However... Seriously not much of a contest.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #60
This is an aging, but timely posting. And a lot of wisdom has been exchanged.

After working in a high stress working environment for 36 1/2 years, my company called and said tomorrow's your last day of work. They essentially retired everyone in the company over 55 years of age in 3 waves. Thank you, as I never intended to work any longer anyway.

I just don't know how a $15 billion sales company can operate with 1/3 less people when everyone at full employment levels was worked to the max.

Many have said here that they're seeing so many people working until older. I'm the opposite, as I don't know very many people working even into their 60's.

Thankfully, I have prepared myself mentally to do what the hell I want. I never stop constructing--either for myself or on mission projects with our church. (We build a house per year for the needy and give it away.)

It's great to be able to sleep in, but you really do best if you live by a set schedule--and get out of the house.

And travel is a great thing to have, because everyone needs to have something to look forward to. And the RV lifestyle will certainly keep you busy--either traveling or getting ready to hit the road again.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #61
Winnebago Owners Club
Before I retired at 55, over 10 years ago, I asked a friend who I really respected about retirement. He had retired earlier and his reply was "You can truly retire once you get past the need for professional recognition".

I planned for retirement and left the workforce with very few regrets. I miss the interaction I had with the owner of the company. We used to golf quite often and with his busy schedule and our travel it has been hard to get together.

We snowbird and in the RV resort we stay at there are a number of retired folks who have been going there for years. Of all of the talks I have had with them none of them has said "I wish I would have worked longer".

I am still healthy enough to have a really active life. Many small projects (and some large) of my choice keep me busy. I start when I want, work as hard as I feel like, and quit when I want. I work harder physically than I did when I worked, the only difference being is the size of the paycheck - I don't get paid. I now can demand that my pay be doubled and easily get the raise!

When asked how I keep occupied I like to say "I start every day with lots of nothing to do. I do nothing all day long so really get a lot of nothing done. So tomorrow I still have lots of nothing to do".

My only regret - I could have retired 5 years earlier.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #62
DW asks me "what did you do today?", I say "nothing". She says you did nothing yesterday also. I say, "I know, I wasn't done yet".
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #63
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
DW asks me "what did you do today?", I say "nothing". She says you did nothing yesterday also. I say, "I know, I wasn't done yet".
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #64

Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
Just buy an Old Class A Motorhome and your schedule is full.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #65
For a few weeks I missed being "large and in charge" but it didn't take long for my wife to knock the wind out of my ego. Now I take pride in the fact that nobody gives a hoot about what I used to do for a living.

> My motto: I like breathing. It gives me something to do ....
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #66
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	63960
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #67
I am only 40. I work on a family farm. I already know I will never retire fully. Just let the next generation step up so I can take it easy and travel.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired 2 years ago at the ripe old age of 45. The only thing I miss are some of the great people I worked with. We still keep in touch with Facebook and the occasional phone call, but it's not the same. I sure don't miss being gone from home for weeks at a time, office politics, etc. loving life and trying to convince the wife to retire in 3 years and go full time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #69
MMMMMMM, nothing!
John and Susan 2013 Winnebago Journey 40U-41'.
2011 Honda CRV Toad Our rescue dog Annie.Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #70
I still have a few years til retirement so I envy y'all that have cut the cord and made your break! Being one of the last Mainframe Programmers here, with several old legacy applications still on it, they tell me "You can't retire, who'll take care of the mainframe jobs?" Well, they are trying to convert the stuff over to a server system, so I tell folks I will be retired when they retire the machine! Nice thing is, the sharp young programmers want nothing to do with the things I do. ;-)

Dodge 2005 Grand Caravan - minicamper at times.
Ford 1988 E150 Action Conversion Van - camper conversion in progress.
Kawasaki 2005 KLR-650 - excursion vehicle.
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote