Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
What retirees commonly miss about work

Thought posting this might help some families with planning for those golden years. Many of us here have an RV to help keep us busy.
You can only play so much golf.
Once you retire, you're likely to need something besides your hobbies to occupy your time. Unfortunately, many people enter their retirement years without determining what their next passion will be.
Things You May Miss After You Retire
from money.com

2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
I miss the phone calls at 2:00 AM telling me that a system is down and the on site techs can't get it fixed.
I miss the politics of work. Having to tell senior management "that's a good idea but perhaps we should try this first" instead of telling them "that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard"
I miss putting in 36 straight hours fixing something a consultant has tried to install and managed to take an entire system down.
Although it might sound like I hated my job, in reality I loved it and did miss it for awhile. After retirement I fixed everything on the house that could possibly be fixed and some things just because I needed something to do. That's when we decided to go full time. From that time on the focus was on everything we needed to do for that new goal.
Is been two months now and love it. There is always something to do, places to go, people to meet, and things to see. Every few weeks your scenery changes and it starts all over again. I would recommend this life style, whether full or part time, to anyone considering retireing.

Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Number one thing-NOTHING
2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
not a thing!
Roland & Jerri, with Maggie & Mollie, our Pups; '05 Fleetwood Providence, 39' DP; '08 Saturn. "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has it's limits" (Einstein)
gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not knowing what day of the week it is until Sunday ( the paper is larger )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Retirement isn't easy or fun for everyone. Many times I have done retirement planning for a couple only to be dealing with a widow two years later. My advice (which I plan on taking myself) is to do the following:

1. Find out what you like and then become passionate about it, but not stupid about it.
2. Make sure your better half is on the same page with you. It is amazing to me how many 30, 40, and even 50 year marriages I have seen end in divorce when one or the other retired and they suddenly had to spend too much time together.
3. Have fun, smile a lot, and get off your butt and do something. Boredom is a huge cause of death in seniors.
4. Get a part time job. Give yourself a reason to get up in the morning. I have an expression which I tell many of my retiring clients. "When you no longer have a reason to get up in the morning, eventually you don't!"

Am I looking forward to my own retirement? To be blunt, yes, sort of. When you have spent 35 years of your life building a professional practice, it's hard to change.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
I agree with the article in that:

I missed the social interaction with co-workers.

I miss 360 Assembly Language

I liked the work I was doing for many years, until the politics, product directions, and screwing the customers just got to be too much. So I don't miss that.

And now that I've gone through the ACA signup process, I miss the group insurance.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Not retired but forced to stop because of medical stuff but I miss working and wish I could again but won't.

You can only play so many games, watch tv, look so many things up on the net, etc.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Do not miss the day to day grind But miss the interaction with the People.
Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Cougar 292RKS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4
Kim98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
American Coach Owners Club
Retirees not having enough to do??? I'm thinking out of the three hundred surveyed, not many owned a RV...
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Retirees not having enough to do??? I'm thinking out of the three hundred surveyed, not many owned a RV...
Amen!! What do we miss, we're too busy enjoying our retirement to miss anything.
Paul & Martha
Live so you can say "remember when" not "I wish I had".
Easy Living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm, I guess I am different...........cause I miss the PAY CHECK!!!
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been retired for 12 years and I still don't miss a thing!!!
Travel 6 months a year, fish and hunt the rest !!!
Gil and Amy Mullen
Central Illinois
2014 Tuscany 44MT
gmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Miss the company perks. Car, fuel track card, electronics, access to restricted website databases and information, lunch with coworkers, good feeling after helping someone in a new or difficult task.
I love retirement but would like a part time job.

2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote