Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #15

What do you do to protect yourself and rv when hurricanes or tornadoes come in the gulf area?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Million View Post
What do you do to protect yourself and rv when hurricanes or tornadoes come in the gulf area?
I 'm not so worried about hurricanes,, although I know what they can do..... Here, we have tornado's,,, if lucky you have a minute or two notice,,, Maybe... At least with a hurricane you have several days notice...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Million View Post
Leave and come back when it is over. That is one reason we have a motorhome.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
We are native New Yawkers but we bought a vacation home on Lake Hartwell in S.C. 8 years ago when I retired from NYPD. We still get four seasons but almost never any snow as winter weather is usually tolerable. The summers a quite nice since we are in a higher elevation. The lake never freezes, the taxes are low except for that damned ad-velorum tax. But insurance is cheap so it evens out.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajd33 View Post
I am all in on South Carolina. You have the ocean, lakes, temperate climate, lots of activities within a few hours. I am moving as soon as its feasible.
This is a complex answer.. I happen to be in SC as well.. Only the Upstate area (3 miles from GA on I-85) Love the state, love the church I belong to here, Just got "home" from the choir party (not yet fully hooked up in fact. Did only the essentials this evening).

But .. if it were not for the church, and the folks there and here in the CG, who make it a bit hard.. I'd choose Georgia.. Home of my Darling Daughter (And that, by the way, is why).

Also, though it's not there yet, Georgia, per one review, is fast becomeing one of the 10 best retirement states.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #20

Lots of great info ! Thanks everybody !!! When I win the hgtv dream home, we'll move to SC !!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another vote for Upstate SC!! Been here since 1982, working thru the SE one area that impressed me was outside of Valdosta, GA and Lake Marion in SC. However here in Fair Play area close enough to Mountains and Oceans. Lots of campgrounds within an hour and lots of history. BTW 2 of the posters are within 3 miles of me right now!! Great minds think alike.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would move to the Texas Gulf coast. From the Louisiana state line to Corpus Christi.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #23

I do like Texas,, for several reasons... But SC is sounding good too. Can't move right now as I'm still working,,, unless I could transfer ...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
I would move to the Texas Gulf coast. From the Louisiana state line to Corpus Christi.
I spent 3 weeks in the summer 4-5 years and honestly, the heat and humidity are so onerous that it was pure pleasure to return to warm, dry Arizona. If I couldn't live here, I would live in TEXAS, mainly due to the people.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #25

I've been to a lot of states in this great land and they all have their pluses and minuses. Could be low taxes versus hurricanes. Could be frozen winters versus hotter than heck summers.

What I do like about where I live in SC is the weather is tolerable most of the year, play golf 12 months out of the year, I can drive a couple of hours to the great beaches and seafood or drive the other direction to the upstate, mountains, and cooler climes. I'm not a fan of our personal property tax but it's what it is...

I can drive 20 minutes to a great state park on a wonderful lake, extra large campsites. Return home to my log cabin on a fishing pond. No need to go elsewhere.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I've been to a lot of states in this great land and they all have their pluses and minuses. Could be low taxes versus hurricanes. Could be frozen winters versus hotter than heck summers.

What I do like about where I live in SC is the weather is tolerable most of the year, play golf 12 months out of the year, I can drive a couple of hours to the great beaches and seafood or drive the other direction to the upstate, mountains, and cooler climes. I'm not a fan of our personal property tax but it's what it is...

I can drive 20 minutes to a great state park on a wonderful lake, extra large campsites. Return home to my log cabin on a fishing pond. No need to go elsewhere.
Geez, that sounds Great !!!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I have lived all over the world. I live in Las Cruces by choice, been here for 30 yrs. All in all the weather is livable and the cost of living is a little above average. If it gets too cold here I jump in the MH and head to AZ. When it is too hot I just go toward the mountains. Lots of beach but little ocean.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
There are many good choices in the area you are looking at. Assuming you'll live there in the winter and travel in the summer, consider staying in the area of your top pick for part, it not all of a winter. You'll get a much better feel for the temp/humidity/wind, etc.

I live in south Florida. We chose this area because of the warm winters. Warm winters are at the top of our priority list. Depending on where you choose to live the price of housing/taxes/insurance can vary greatly. It all depends on the zip code you choose. Florida requires no special license to drive a coach of any size. There are no personal property taxes on your vehicles. Registration of vehicles is low. Medical services are plentiful. The different kinds of housing are quite varied.

As you look, you'll need to prioritize your requirements.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote