Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi,
There are many good choices in the area you are looking at. Assuming you'll live there in the winter and travel in the summer, consider staying in the area of your top pick for part, it not all of a winter. You'll get a much better feel for the temp/humidity/wind, etc.

I live in south Florida. We chose this area because of the warm winters. Warm winters are at the top of our priority list. Depending on where you choose to live the price of housing/taxes/insurance can vary greatly. It all depends on the zip code you choose. Florida requires no special license to drive a coach of any size. There are no personal property taxes on your vehicles. Registration of vehicles is low. Medical services are plentiful. The different kinds of housing are quite varied.

As you look, you'll need to prioritize your requirements.
Great info on Florida.. Thanks Gary !! I had sort of discounted there due to what "I Thought" would be Very high housing prices..Nice to know maybe not so much . I'd sure like the weather though !!!
Darel
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Great info on Florida.. Thanks Gary !! I had sort of discounted there due to what "I Thought" would be Very high housing prices..Nice to know maybe not so much . I'd sure like the weather though !!!
Darel
Sounds good, but what about insurance both for house and vehicles? Is it hard to get? Are the premiums high?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gadget63,
For home owners insurance, it is always available. The price depends on the zip code one chooses to live. For auto insurance, there is no problem. All the companies are advertising for one's business. I have very high limits on these policies. My house is worth quite a bit. It would not provide any useful information for me to post what I pay for insurance. I do not know how much people pay for basic insurance or moderate limits.

It is best for folks to determine where they would like to live and contact an agent who can discuss their individual needs.

I have not mentioned this, thinking everyone knows already, Florida has no state income tax and sales tax averages 6.5%. Some counties are lower.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #32

Many places about 5 to 10 miles east of most parts of the Oregon Coast fits every thing you have mentioned as long as you pick a property out of the flood plane. I have lived just east of Winchester Bay and now in Tigard, Ore. Came from the Deserts of s. Calif where I almost fried or freezed running equipment for 25 years or more. 2012 winnie view and no toad.
Jay Million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Gadget63,
For home owners insurance, it is always available. The price depends on the zip code one chooses to live. For auto insurance, there is no problem. All the companies are advertising for one's business. I have very high limits on these policies. My house is worth quite a bit. It would not provide any useful information for me to post what I pay for insurance. I do not know how much people pay for basic insurance or moderate limits.

It is best for folks to determine where they would like to live and contact an agent who can discuss their individual needs.

I have not mentioned this, thinking everyone knows already, Florida has no state income tax and sales tax averages 6.5%. Some counties are lower.
Thanks Gary. I once heard that house insurance was next to impossible to get and the premiums were astronomical, but I doubt any more then what we pay in NYC. My daughter and her hubby will be moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area and we may look down there too for a winter dwelling then do our traveling in the summer months.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
N.C. or S.C.(I live in Western N,C--born in Greenville S.C with family there))---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #35

Thank you jzick, That would have been my guess but wondered if if there was safe inside storage for rv's or you just had to make a decision on each storm from the news on staying or leaving. My 2012 winnie view does have a emerg radio that automaticaly comes on with warnings which I am thankful for. Thanks again, your area is beautiful, I love my Oregon summers but would like to try your winters.
Jay Million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #36

South Carolina for sure!! Mountains on the west, ocean on the east, warm but not too hot temps, plenty of places to ride my motorcycle and camp!!
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Texas, but I am allready there. I like every state have I have visited. Spent 2 years in Seattle, loved it except it rained every day (well almost every day). Spent 2 years in Florida, loved it except for the bugs and it rained a lot. Every place has it's good points and bad points. Life is to short to dwell on the bad, enjoy the good.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #38

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I may be biased here, I love SC, the home of "Smiling Faces and Beautiful Places". I live close enough to the beach to be able to go pretty much in the drop of a hat, the mountains in about three hours, the lake in minutes. I have friends and family all around me, and some of the best seafood, BBQ and soul food that I know of. The weather is pretty tolerable year around too, Yep I'm biased.
booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #39

To me, Florida is paradise. Hot in the summers ? yep for sure. Thats what the MH is for. Travel to cooler places if they can be found. Last summer Florida had some of the coolest temps.Got to The Soo Locks and it was 92. What's up with that ?
The hurricanes only exist in the weather procrastinators minds.They have a quota to hit every year and they won't stop creating them until its met.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #40

As a native of Florida, I am sorry to say that Florida is no longer a Southern state. It may be in latitude, but not in attitude.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #41

I moved to south Florida from Minnesota 33 years ago and have not regretted it for a moment. I met my Cuban wife down there and absolutely love not only the Cuban culture, but the entire dynamic of this vibrant, cosmopolitan metropolis. The climate is fantastic, there is so much to see and do, the waters of Biscayne Bay and the nearby gulfstream provide the best boating and fishing anywhere. The city is alive and thriving, not like some podunk hillbilly out of the way place where a bunch of old fuddy-duddies want to go and wait to die. There, I said it. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #42

We are originally from Ohio and now in Florida. We were on the east coast in Port St. Lucie. Now we are in central Florida somewhat away from any hurricanes and a lot less traffic than you will find on either coast. If we were to move again, and we are not, we would go to the west coast where the gulf is warmer and calmer. But one can still get a hurricane there. Also insurance is cheaper in the center of the state.