Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #1

What southern state would you move to ?

Ok, If you were going to move permanently, OR if you already live there, what state on the southern coast of the US would it be and why ? The reason I'm asking, is we would like a warmer climate than Arkansas, and would love to be on or near the ocean or Gulf. I'm thinking from Texas to South Carolina . We would be buying a stick/brick house, but I'm sure willing to hear from full timers too. First things that come to mind would be home prices, taxes, even attitude of the people. Not interested in living "in" a big city, as we like the country feel of this place, but we are just 5 minutes from town. Just wondering, not moving next week or such. Thanks bunches !!
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #2

I am all in on South Carolina. You have the ocean, lakes, temperate climate, lots of activities within a few hours. I am moving as soon as its feasible.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Moving southern states

Monkey
I read yesterdays posts with interest and was wondering if the Night Screams are chasing you out of Arkensas?
Just curious
lyledavid
lyledavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The 'forgotten Coast' eastern panhandle of Fl. Love it.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyledavid View Post
Monkey
I read yesterdays posts with interest and was wondering if the Night Screams are chasing you out of Arkensas?
Just curious
lyledavid
Well,,,,, Naw, not really... Been thinking about it for a while...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #6

Quote:
The 'forgotten Coast' eastern panhandle of Fl. Love it.
Except for the weather being a bit cold in winter, I agree. We have not moved our winter home here only because DW has to be near a major airport.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Temperate climate and ocean sounds perfect
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Texas has no income tax and no ad valorem (personal property) tax. As a result, real estate taxes tend to be higher, but they're based on a percentage of assessed value, and real estate/housing prices away from the cities tend to be quite reasonable. Exceptions would be resort areas such as the Hill Country and areas affected by the shale play oil/natural gas booms where severe housing shortages exist.

We've been looking in some rural areas of central Texas that are near but not considered part of the Hill Country, and real estate prices are very reasonable. If you want tropical conditions in the winter, though, you'll be looking closer to the Rio Grande Valley (RGV).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #9

We almost moved to NE Alabama to live near family, but things changed. We are also looking at South Carolina with family there. I also have family a few hours north of that. I spent my entire life in the PNW and love the beauty of it, but the weather has gotten to me the last couple of winter. Don't like cold and wet. Cost of living is low (much like rural Washington State and the weather is mild. Plus I have a career that can move easily.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

There are sooooo many.

SC. Edisto beach. Crashing waves!
FL. Only the gulf coast for me. Emerald Beach Rv Resort

But i love AZ more.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We are just back from a few weeks in Florida in the Fort Meyers area. I would not want to live there, the humidity (even in January) is way to high for me, If we would move, it has to be dry. Two years ago we were at our nice for Christmas. This was in Chico in California, I liked their weather a lot. it gets hot in the summer, but the low humidity allows for cool nights, just what I want!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #12

The one without , hurricanes,droughts, floods and tornados, summer temps no hotter than 90f, winter temps in the 50s, .... hang on I think I just eliminated them all.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes skip, you did.

They do all have their weather problems. We live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, Texas City to be exact. It made All American City several years ago. It is a refinery town. We survived Ike because of the storm wall surrounding the city. We were virtually an Island. However, with that said I would prefer being inland about 90-100 miles just to be on the downside of the storms. Even then, the inland areas have their problems also. And, right now, January 20, 2013 at 1:30 p.m. it is 63 degrees outside. The doors and windows to the sticks and bricks are open, just airing things out.

We are 1 mile from the water, Galveston bay, 14 miles from Galveston Seawall, 40 miles from downtown Houston, and all kinds of other amenities in the area. If you are into indoor exercise, the Lowery Center is a full fledged facility including indoor pool and senior residency rates are $50 A YEAR.

People are nice, this is Texas, and housing is not that expensive. Recently our next door neighbor had to move to "senior living," and put her 2100 sq foot house on the market. The Economy has taken it's toll. This house with detached two car garage was listed for $139K, and finally sold for $94K so housing is extremely reasonable.

Good luck.

Oh! We have become Summer birds. That is we leave the area to get away from the heat in the summer.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

We have lived in SC all of our lives, DW and I. My step dad lives in Little Rock, AR. The two have similar climates.
We live in the upstate, near Greenville. I have lived in Sumter and farther south, near Charleston.
SC has varied climate zones and elevations.
We have a beautiful state, lower cost of living and lower taxes. There are many beautiful places and lots of friendly folks. I love SC and plan to stay close to here for a long while!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote