Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What's your average speed while traveling?
Under 50 mph 0 0%
50-54 mph 3 1.32%
55-59 mph 19 8.33%
60-64 mph 141 61.84%
65-69 mph 52 22.81%
70-74 mph 9 3.95%
75-79 mph 4 1.75%
80-84 mph 0 0%
85+ mph 0 0%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 AM   #71

Excel Owners Club
About the tire speed rating. A tire speed rating is the certified speed for that model of tire. As for my Michelin trailer tires, speed rating 'J', my trailer tires are certified to 62 mph as they sit new on the tire rack. Once on your vehicle, everything affects that certified speed rating: age; road temperature; if a puncture has been repaired; that last pothole you hit; over-inflated/under-inflated; etc.

Tire manufacturers set a target speed for each tire model determined by the tire's design and construction. During lab tests, the tire is mounted to a machine that simulates the max load on the tire. The tire spins at ever increasing speed for a specified interval until the target speed is reached. If the target speed is reached before the tire fails, the tire is certified for that speed.

Some manufacturers will continue the test performing a 'Step-up speed' test. The speed is increased at intervals until the tire fails. This information is not normally published.

Will my tires fail at 75 mph. Not likely. Tire manufacturers factor in a buffer for heavy-footed drivers. The load on my Michelin's is only 78% of the max load, about 1,100 lbs shy of the max for each tire. I try to limit my speed to 70 mph but will inch up to 75 mph at times, depending on how far to the next rest stop.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 AM   #72

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To each their own...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks to those who contributed to the polling. With over 200 votes, net result is a little over 25% of folks drive faster than the rest. I thought that number would have been higher but then again, this is all non-scientific and only reflects what folks contributed.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #74

In my Dutch Star/Spartan, I cruise on the highway at 65-66 MPH, on cruise control, because it makes the most sense. At this speed, my Cummins engine is producing right at 1,000 lbs/ft of torque. At this level of forward force, whenever a front tire suddenly fails (blowout) I don't have to "step on the gas". The most effective tool you have for handling a front tire blowout,...is already in your hands. The power steering, commanded by the steering wheel, which is commanded by the driver, can easily counter the frictional force and rolling resistance of the blown out tire. Keep in mind that the cruise control has NOT reduced power, AND if the motorhome slows down a little bit, the cruise control will add power. It does all I need to do automatically, while my feet stay planted on the floor (while I give it he!! with the steering wheel), UNTIL the "decider" (ME) makes the decision to slow down. In this case, staying in my lane assures me the most safety. Therefore, I cruise at the fastest safe speed,..FOR ME. (IMO)
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #75

You will have 1,000 ft lbs of torque available at that RPM. Its not there cruising down the road. How quick it will develop is another thing.

First the throttle needs to open fully and then the boost has to develop. There is a thing called turbo lag.

If you start up a upgrade, does the cruise control pull the pedal right to the floor ?

If you floor the pedal, does the boost gauge quickly jump up to your maximum pressure ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max speed while towing CRV

My speed limitations are set by my toad - max 55MPH
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #77

twinboat,
My cruise control is designed to do everything that it can in order to maintain the selected speed, even full throttle if needed. And, the transmission will automatically shift into the most appropriate gear. However, I do not use the cruise control to climb a grade. For that I have my own method.
The cruise speed momentum and inertia and energy, on a level highway, is nicely maintained by the cruise control, at the speed at which I normally cruise. And, all of that is what I need to make my method work for me. I'm not recommending it to anyone else. I explained why I select MY cruising speed, in the context of this thread.
If you want to chat about it, it'll have to be by private message. Thanks
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote