Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Texas is indeed income tax free, but they whack us with 6.25% sales tax,

I can't believe you consider 6.25% as getting whacked. I think you should send your state a thank you note. We pay 10.35% here.

Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
try Tennessee 8.25 sales tax on first 1300.oo of a purchase ,prop tax very reazsonable WE live on a water front community across from the lake w/lake access very few HOA restrictions 1800 sq ft about 960 a year,lic plates 24.50 cars,mh,t think trailers are less good weather great recreation areas and great infrastructure
WAIT ITS ALL A LIE STAY AWAY I WANT TO KEEP IT FOR MYSELF
brianj

Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Florida, Florida, Florida.
Everything in the earlier thread about Florida +:
1. no special license to drive an RV
2. Constitution requires a balanced budget
3. Constitution says no income tax
4. If you purchase a coach and do not want to pay the sales tax, obeying Florida law while you do the Montana LLC thing is quite easy.
5. Plenty of medical facilities
6. Plenty of choices and climate where to live. The state is over 500 miles long. Key West to Jacksonville or Pensacola and everything in between.
7. So much to see and so, it will be difficult to know what to do first.
8. Reasonable tag fees. Coach costs $80/year. Wife's Caddy $42/year, and my GMC $83/year. The coach and GMC have specialty tag. Standard tag is the Caddy price.
9. Our only bad weather are hurricanes. They provide plenty of warning and are quite predictable as to which way they will go.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What I see some people do is have a RV or park model in two locations. Say one in the summer in one of the northern states and another in the south for the winter. My parents have wintered in all the southern hot spots. The last 10 or so they have stayed in South Texas (Mission) because it is very cheap ($340 a month) lot rent. Here in northern Ohio I have seen campgrounds charge anywhere from $1100 to $3000 for the summer season (late April till Oct).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #19

Stay away from Phoenix. We just "won" the number 1 for most miserable; Phoenix Most "Miserable" City in U.S., According to Wall Street Journal - Phoenix News - Valley Fever
Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #20

Thanks to all the commentors so far. Yeah, Mesa AZ is where we are, know about the latest horror stories here.

Just in a quandary as to what to do. So much to adjust to, and so much "life junk" to dispose of around here. No family here, just 20 years of friendships here and there, but even those are changing since I retired.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Stay away from Phoenix. We just "won" the number 1 for most miserable; Phoenix Most "Miserable" City in U.S., According to Wall Street Journal - Phoenix News - Valley Fever
I give that NO creds at all. It is a direct (and misinformed) retaliation to 1070. It is so sad that the major media has NO idea about the true situation on the border. To have Nappy say the border is secure is an absolute LIE. My daughter's FIL works for ICE on the border and he says they have been ORDERED to let illegals pass through w/o interference. They have hundreds of illegals a day taking advantage of the government's gift.

And they (MSM) refuse to see for themselves.

Those of you that buy this fodder from the MSM will pay the price.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
We moved to Albuquerque six years ago when I retired and find everything a lot less expensive. Real Estate is about 1/3 the cost and holding its value pretty well in this mess were in, at least in Albuquerque, and the taxes are reasonable. In New Mexico you have the choice of Mountains or Desert like AZ and if it's at all believable they even acknowledge Veterans with a $4,000 property tax credit on your primary home.

We do a lot of shopping at Amazon for the big things and don't pay sales tax but that is possible in almost any state.

It's worth looking into, you can find a location very similar to where you are now and probably at considerable less costs.

We have enjoyed the folks here and haven't regretted moving for one moment.

Dick
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
You didn't say what your financial situation is: If a little down in the dough, Las Vegas, NV has condo style apartments that are quite comfortable. They are operated by the city and state. They still have free bus service and are ADA compliant.
While eating out is actually cheap, the price of vehicle license plates are extremely high, similiar to Kalifornia.
The weather is close to what Phoenix endures.

I have lived in all of the sections in the USA and think Las Vegas is the best. Just my opinion.

Kerry
Old 04-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Texas. No income tax on wages. Register the MH and any other vehicles in wife's name as she is disabled. It will cost approximately $4 a vehicle. A 30,000 pound MH will be about $125 if you are not disabled. Cars are typically around $65 per year.

Taxes in this city for our 1750 sq ft house are $735 per year, based on assessment value not market value. Insurances eat us up, to include flood insurance, to the tune of about $3500 a year. You know what insurances are on MH's.

I would not walk away from a present house. Get a fair value for it. You may need that credit report further down the line, even if just for a portion of your mortgage and keep the litigation money for "other" things besides buying a new home.

There but for the grace of God, go I. I was doing 50 mph on a motorcycle and a pickup truck pulled out and broadsided me. I went 130 feet (according to police report) on the pavement. Skid mark scars for sure. Texas has a no helmet law. I was wearing one. I felt and heard my helmet on the pavement for the entire slide. Long story, I'll stop there.

There is life after amputation, and I hope you and your wife have a very good remaining time in it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Greenland 2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Don't move to Denmark.

Henry, how about moving to Greenland. Do those rules apply there too?

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:15 AM   #26

Many thanks for the replies so far. We are listening and learning.
Lived in Cedar Crest, NM on Hwy 14 on the east side of Sandia Crest from '82 to '91 and really enjoyed it there. That is still one spot we are looking into.

We have family in Missoula, MT and I have sent my cousin there an email asking for some facts and would they object to intruders getting too close to them

We have good friends in Cabot, AR just north of Little Rock, but the summers there are too humid, and the winters too cold for my wife.

Finances will support two smaller homes of less then $100k each snow bird style. Somewhere north and somewhere south for the winter. We are looking locally for something we can steal from a bank repo but nothing that grabs us just yet.

If the two homes are free and clear, monthly income will be enough to let us do some minor RV exploring for a few weeks at a time around the country. The truck is paid for long ago, and obviously the '78 Avion is decades ago paid off. Neither cost us anything except for tags/insurance/maintenance. However, we need to see if getting a loan at the current low interest rates would make more sense than paying cash from my small crash & burn inheritance. That thump on the noggin when the semi truck hit my Goldwing has left me with memory issues and body temperature control problems. hence, I no longer can handle real hot weather.

Our son lives in San Marcos, CA just 20 minutes from Oceanside, CA where he has a 27' wind sloop in a slip there. He enjoys wind sailing out to Catalina and back for the weekends if he can get a long weekend off. Living in the year around mild coastal area there would be super nice, but more costly than we can afford.

Our daughter lives with us here in Mesa AZ, but is looking to get back to Oklahoma City as she has strong ties there with friends and a women's choir of international fame. She went with them to sing for Queen Elizabeth, we so wish we could have gone with her. I still have family there also, but we are all "of age" now , I lived there from '46 to '69

I'm trying to decide how to do all of this with the least damage possible to finances/credit. I talked with my litigation lawyer and he says letting the house go would severely effect my credit as you all have mentioned. Been there, done that 30 years ago. Hated it as the effect lingers on for 10 years and more, effecting my insurance rates and finance rates on loans.

We have a lot of exploring/shopping around to do, but with the wonderful info here from this forum, we feel better informed to do the looking.

We really appreciate the helpful people of this RV family type community. it is wonderful.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 AM   #27

Check your local library for a quarterly magazine called "Where to Retire." Each edition gives profiles of several different -- and usually lovely -- options, including lots of information on taxes, cost of living, things to do, crime rates,etc. I know there are also books that give tons of data on great numbers of locations, usually in chart form. But I can't recall titles. Librarian could help, I'm sure. If you can pull it off, y a bit of traveling to personally check out the top places on your list. Good luck. It is a hard decision.
SF Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Taxes in this city for our 1750 sq ft house are $735 per year, based on assessment value not market value.
Here in a suburb of Cleveland, my property tax when we bought (1991) were $800 a year. Now 20 years later they are pushing $3000. And with the housing bubble being burst, my homes value is about what I paid for it back in 91' Yes, for the most part prices are very cheap for the square footage, but insurance, sewer, water and property taxes are out of control. County just announced they want to quadruple the sewer rate over the next 20 years, Also last week they also want a 50-100% increase in the water rates.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote