Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
Forget about NY, and out here in Suffolk half the houses are in foreclosure due to ridiculous taxes.
Name the tax, we pay it in spades.

Someday, my H and I want to retire to the Florida Keys and travel the US in our trailer. For now of course, we're just gonna keep quiet, pay our share, and not get the great education we moved to this town for. Gov Cuomo just cut us to the quick.

Your post really touched me, I know what it's like to have an injured S/O-my husband fell from a roof 4 years ago, and it took more than 3 years for him to get back to full duty at work. I almost lost him, and I consider myself blessed from head to toe that I didn't.

I hope for the best for you.

Coleman 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #30
Colorado's not too bad. 3.2% state sales tax. Up to first $24k of retirement income each person exempt from income tax. Reasonable property tax ($2000 for our 1900 ft. $265k value townhouse). Vehicle taxes are high, based on value, but decrease over time.
Disregard the Colorado Springs-Denver-Ft. Collins front range metroplex as more congested, higher prices, added local taxes, and emission requirements. Pueblo has all the amenities and a good climate overall. Just sayin'.

'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #31
Monaco Owners Club
We had the choice to make several years ago and decided on Florida.

No income tax
Reasonable sale tax (6-7.5%)
Reasonable vehicle registration and insurance
Reasonable real estate tax and is limited by law of amount it can increase also has homestead exemptions for seniors and disabled (good time to buy now).
Reasonable or low home prices (1 in every 4 homes are either forclosed, facing forclosure, or the owners are behind in payments)(we recently purchased multiple properties that sold for a total of $810K in 2006 for $318K this year)
Great Helathcare for Seniors
No Snow
No Snow
No Snow
Oh and finally, no Snow!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #32
AZgl1500, have you considered NV, Vegas maybe? No income tax here, weather in winter not quite as warm as in AZ lots of empty houses some good buys, check it out.

Good luck with your search for a new domicile....& keep that 2 wheeler upright

Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
It cost a lot of money to live in paradise! So look at places where others don't find ideal and the costs will be less. I live in a suburb of the largest city in the state. I pay way more in taxes than my brother who decided to move to small town America. He bought a house for $10,000 and the taxes reflect the cost of the house. He needs to drive to a neighboring town for shopping and will pay a bit more at times but Wally World makes things competitive. Why in the world would he decide to isolate himself to an area where everyone else is abandoning is easy! His grandkids are close! Where the family lives is quite often a deciding factor no matter what the cost! He goes to South Texas for 5 months in the winter and rents a trailer in an area that does not include a swimming pool, Tennis courts, or golf. Rent is reasonable and he is just around the corner from where others are calling a Tropical Paradise. There's a Wally World there too! I believe he brought along his fishing pole. His wife joined a local church choir and they are singing in the sunshine.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
Don't move to Denmark.

Income tax based on earnings - average about 50% or slightly below. Sales tax 25% on everything - nothing is exempt. Property tax based on value but it's no joke - I can tell you that much.

Tax on cars is 180% (yes - 180%) and gas is currently $8,25 per gallon.

Tax-wise anywhere is better than Denmark.
Now I know why my great grandparents emigrated from Copenhagen 100 years ago!!!

Sad thing is, we'll get there, eventually.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Workhorse Chassis Owner
how about more on Nevada. anybody?
thanks, dave
2007 NRV DOLPHIN LX 6342

cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
If you can put up with our climate (we can, being ex-pat Brits) NW Washington is pretty good, particularly the smaller towns.

No income tax, 8.3% sales tax, vehicle tags about $50 ($30 basic + a weight variable). In Anacortes, you can find 2br ramblers in decent neighborhoods for less than $200K.

Our home is across the street from a saltwater marina. It's 1700 square feet, 12 years old and currently worth just under $300K. Beaches within a 15-minute walk (but they're gritty, grey volcanic sand). Summertime high around 78F with 25% humidity wintertime high usually above freezing, but it can be 800 broken, 1500 overcast, 3/4 mile vis, rain and fog from mid November through to early April! The sea water here is very deep (over 100 ft just a couple of miles from shore), which has a major impact on summer heat.

We love it. We lived in Tidewater VA, with its 95 degrees/95% humidity summers for a while, but most of our 43 years since leaving England has been in WA.

If you want more details, send me a PM.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #37
Ford Super Duty Owner
David Savageau has written several editions of "Retirement Places Rated" can be bought from Amazon.com for less than $17.00. I have several editions and have used them to select my s&b areas as the time arises. I currently live in Saltillo, MS just outside of Tupelo, MS. One section on taxes lists several states that do not tax pensions and MS is one of them. There is a homestead law that reduces my assessed value $75,000 so my $250,000 market value home total tax is $1300 per year. I do not pay any state income tax.

Retirement Places Rated: What You Need to Know to Plan the Retirement You Deserve (Places Rated series) [Paperback]

David Savageau
David Savageau (Author)
Visit Amazon's David Savageau Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author
Are you an author? Learn about Author Central

Retired US Air Force and IBM
Sergeant80 is offline   Reply With Quote