Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #1

Question What states are most friendly financially to retirees?

I’ve been working/living here in the Phoenix Metro area for 20 years. The land of fried eggs on the pavement and all of the jokes about “It is a Dry Heat”. I learned to adjust to the summer extremes while I was still in my late 40s and through my 50s and yep, right up to 65ish.

3 years ago, my “perfect health” and stamina took a side step to having a semi-truck make an unscheduled left turn in the freeway and try to go through the center median concrete barrier. That suddenly put a solid barrier between my big Goldwing motorcycle and making my way home.
I was in the HOV lane which is verboten territory for big trucks. The truck was in the next lane and made a 90 degree left..... The why’s of the accident I can’t reveal, it is in litigation.

Right in the middle of this, 2 years ago, my lifetime partner and mommy to our kids, looses her right leg and is medically forced to retire and went on disability. That put a huge crimp in our plans. Now she has to have wheelchair accessibility.

Here I am, at 68 and forced into retirement by not being able to do my job. I was not ready to go, but “it is what it is”.
Learn to adjust or you will never overcome it. So, I am trying.

That brings me up to the topic for the thread.

Severely reduced income is making me rethink my situation and where I want to live. I’m being advised by nearly everyone to just walk away from my home and let the bank have it. I have to down size and a lot. The litigation will provide enough to let me get a couple of smaller homes to use for winter and summer.

So, here is the question:

What is/are the most friendly (cheapest) states for retirees financially?

When we lived in Texas, I don’t recall any state income tax. Arizona loves me. But that doesn't catch it all. Other taxes can make up the difference or more.

So, it is beautiful here in the winter months, but I don’t think I can stay here anymore. Too expensive.

Opinions out there?
Oh, we thought about renting, but that is sort of ruled out by having to make things wheelchair accessible. Land lords hate it when you widen doors and build ramps.
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:54 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Try the link.

50 States Facts
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

I lived in Ct where they have income tax, 6% sales tax and the property tax on my 1100 square foot condo is $5800 . My daughter has an 1800 square foot home four blocks from the water and pays over $9000.Would you like to buy a nice waterfront condo?
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
When we lived in Texas, I don’t recall any state income tax.
Texas has no state income tax, and no personal property tax. As a result, sales taxes are up to 8.25% (6.25% state and up to 2% local), and real property taxes are, well, judge for yourself - we pay ~$4,000/year for a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 3 car garage 3,300 sq ft home in NW Harris county (northwest of Houston) - higher than some places, but lower than others, I guess. Having said that, they'll drop and then be frozen (sort of) once I turn 65 in less than 2 years. Yeah, we need to look at downsizing, too.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
I’ve been working/living here in the Phoenix Metro area for 20 years. The land of fried eggs on the pavement and all of the jokes about “It is a Dry Heat”. I learned to adjust to the summer extremes while I was still in my late 40s and through my 50s and yep, right up to 65ish.

3 years ago, my “perfect health” and stamina took a side step to having a semi-truck make an unscheduled left turn in the freeway and try to go through the center median concrete barrier. That suddenly put a solid barrier between my big Goldwing motorcycle and making my way home.
I was in the HOV lane which is verboten territory for big trucks. The truck was in the next lane and made a 90 degree left..... The why’s of the accident I can’t reveal, it is in litigation.

Right in the middle of this, 2 years ago, my lifetime partner and mommy to our kids, looses her right leg and is medically forced to retire and went on disability. That put a huge crimp in our plans. Now she has to have wheelchair accessibility.

Here I am, at 68 and forced into retirement by not being able to do my job. I was not ready to go, but “it is what it is”.
Learn to adjust or you will never overcome it. So, I am trying.

That brings me up to the topic for the thread.

Severely reduced income is making me rethink my situation and where I want to live. I’m being advised by nearly everyone to just walk away from my home and let the bank have it. I have to down size and a lot. The litigation will provide enough to let me get a couple of smaller homes to use for winter and summer.

So, here is the question:

What is/are the most friendly (cheapest) states for retirees financially?

When we lived in Texas, I don’t recall any state income tax. Arizona loves me. But that doesn't catch it all. Other taxes can make up the difference or more.

So, it is beautiful here in the winter months, but I don’t think I can stay here anymore. Too expensive.

Opinions out there?
Oh, we thought about renting, but that is sort of ruled out by having to make things wheelchair accessible. Land lords hate it when you widen doors and build ramps.
Move to Mississippi
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

After a divorce & retiring on a fixed income 15 yrs. ago I also felt it necessary to downsize. Moved to NJ & altho in all honesty I can say living here is not my #1 choice, I own my own home in a Sr. co-op community & pay $328/mo. including real estate taxes, maintenance, lawn care, snow removal & more.

The reduced cost of living has enabled me to pursue the RV lifestyle, enjoy dining out, take in a show (season subscriber) & even save some 'bucks' each month. All in all, a good move on my (our) part. Life is good!! jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Here in Minnesota we have both income tax and a sales tax (6+% with local addons). Property taxes (ours went down to around $1500 for 2011) are "OK". Lovely to visit during the warm months. Up here we have 6 months of winter and 6 months of road construction. I'd look closely at South Dakota for low taxes. You could have a house in the Black Hills and one in Mesa.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

Florida has no state income tax and real estate is going the same way here as it is in Az. Down. Taxes are based on the value of the home. You also have to consider home owners insurance which will be higher than your taxes. You can get into a 1st floor condo in south florida for 30 to $50,000 for you an your wife. Condo fees will be around $400 a month. Electricity and water tend to be more than AZ but everything else is the same. However, that said, you have to have a reason for living wherever you live. Don't move away from family or friends just to save money. I love Florida because my daughters live here and my DW and I will never get far away from them no matter how green the grass is on the next hill. If nothing is keeping you in place I would look at some of the RV resorts around Sebring and Lake Josephine.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Come to California...we need your money...income tax 9%, sales tax 9.25%, property tax based on value 2100 sq ft $3800/yr, auto license MH $1900, but no personal property tax. LOL
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
You'll need to keep in mind that most states are suffering financial problems at this point in time and many will have to reduce services meaning what you see now as a benefit in any particular state could change as states reduce expenses. Sorry that doesn't help with your decision but it is another thing to consider.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't move to Denmark.

Income tax based on earnings - average about 50% or slightly below. Sales tax 25% on everything - nothing is exempt. Property tax based on value but it's no joke - I can tell you that much.

Tax on cars is 180% (yes - 180%) and gas is currently $8,25 per gallon.

Tax-wise anywhere is better than Denmark.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Life Would Be OK, Were it Not For All Those Curveballs...

Quote:
my “perfect health” and stamina took a side step to having a semi-truck make an unscheduled ... my lifetime partner and mommy to our kids, loses her right leg and is medically forced to retire and went on disability. That put a huge crimp in our plans. Now she has to have wheelchair accessibility...
I gotta tell you about a buddy who'd just gotten a thumbs-up from wife, following in Ruidoso during Bike Week on her own bike. There was a flash, Ronnie thought it was sunlight reflecting off her mirror. A pickup driver had had a coronary event, hit Sue head-on at 40mph. The paramedics let him kiss her before he put her leg into the bag with the rest of her, zip it up. That sad culmination of 24 years' of sharing, dining together, traveling ect. was a while back, he's doing better; but, of course, it will never be the same.

Anyway, having our wives alongside us trumps all else, in the big scheme; that is from one barely put to the test, I admit. A terrible ordeal for both of you, but you're together. My buddy would give anything for that.

Texas is indeed income tax free, but they whack us with 6.25% sales tax, if you buy a new rig. Many owners pursue the Montana corporation shelter; but, my atty wife refused to do that on the grounds it could endanger her law license.

I would imagine more and more rental properties are wheelchair-friendly, given landlords' increasing compliance with ADA, even in the Lone Star State.

Best wishes, hug DW for all of us!!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas
phxmtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Anyway, having our wives alongside us trumps all else, in the big scheme; that is from one barely put to the test, I admit. A terrible ordeal for both of you, but you're together. My buddy would give anything for that.us!!
Thank you for this post. Having lost my husband to sudden death six years ago, I couldn't agree more. I would give up everything and live in the streets if he were by my side. Life changes, for all time, in a second. You're picked up turned over and emptied out.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote