Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #1

What to avoid!

Hi all,

Very new to the forum so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. My DW and I have been tent campers for years and have decided to start thinking seriously about upgrading to probably a Class C RV.

With such a vast number to choose from, I was wondering if you had any advice on which manufacturers or models you've had experience with which you wouldn't recommend or buy again. Have you had problems with after sales service, that kind of thing. I know no RV is going to be perfect, but which were less desirable, so I can concentrate on looking at better manufacturers.

I'm currently considering RV's similar to the Jayco Greyhawk 31ds to give you an idea where I'm coming from.

Please just message me if you prefer not to say anything directly on the forum.

Thanks so much for your help in this mystifying process. Just trying to get it right first time if I can and not make any expensive mistakes.

Caspian.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think a good way to go about it is to select a few models and then do a search here at IRV2 or google. Our members aren't shy and you will get some useful input.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
srh

Monaco Owners Club
In Class C, I would recommend the Jayco Seneca. I had 2006, 3 slide outs, Duramax FRED, had it for five years with no problems.
Good luck with your search and selection!
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One other thing to check on is what kind of tech support the manufacturer offers and are they easy to reach. This pertains to the selling dealer as well.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
In Class C, I would recommend the Jayco Seneca. I had 2006, 3 slide outs, Duramax FRED, had it for five years with no problems.
Good luck with your search and selection!
Thanks SRH. Love the look of the Seneca. Great to know you've had no problems.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

We were in the same boat last year going from tent to RV. Grey hawk was high on the list but went with the Seneca for more space and diesel power. Jayco has good build quality.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
We were in the same boat last year going from tent to RV. Grey hawk was high on the list but went with the Seneca for more space and diesel power. Jayco has good build quality.
That will be a very nice upgrade from your tent. I think I'm almost at the stage where I'm getting too old that lark!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Your're Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
Thanks SRH. Love the look of the Seneca. Great to know you've had no problems.
Caspian,

I bought it actually on eBay when it was a year old and only had 3K mi on it. The best part was that five years later I sold it for $18K less than what I had paid for. That is roughly $3.5K depreciation per year which for a motorhome is great, I think!
All the best!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Caspian,

I bought it actually on eBay when it was a year old and only had 3K mi on it. The best part was that five years later I sold it for $18K less than what I had paid for. That is roughly $3.5K depreciation per year which for a motorhome is great, I think!
All the best!
That was an awesome deal, SRH, and exactly the kind of mileage we are looking for in a pre owned. As we say in Ireland though, Ebay scares the bejabbers outta me! Maybe I should take a look though.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Not every offer on eBay is a good deal, but are some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
That was an awesome deal, SRH, and exactly the kind of mileage we are looking for in a pre owned. As we say in Ireland though, Ebay scares the bejabbers outta me! Maybe I should take a look though.
I have purchased three of my four coaches on eBay - two on bidding process and one negotiating with the seller after. In some ways, I find it safer to buy on eBay as the down payment is via Pay Pal and everything after is done in person. So you can have the coach checked as usual either yourself or via a third party. You can make that as a part of your bid/offer.
Take care and best of luck!