Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

What to choose?

We are looking to retire in 2 years and want to RV America. I just don't know what to RV in. I've been looking at Trailermanor to tow behind a Tacoma. What are the down sides to that?
Maewest527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

This is a great place to learn

Are you going to full time in this? If so, I personally wouldn't. They are good starter units essentially, but definitely not meant for hard full time use.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My advice would be to go rent some stuff. Travel Trailer, Class C, Class A. Try them out to see what you like and don't like. What works and what doesn't work. You are about to spend some serious dollars. Spend just a few more to get yourselves acclimated to the lifestyle so you can end up with something as close to what will work for you as you can.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

I agree with Oldrtrct, we rented class c and class a's before we bought. Ended up with a class a and then with the dogs had to move on. It is a learning thing and what works for you.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Maewest527,
Welcome to iRV2. Be it towable or motorized, the questions are the same. Whatever you buy, make sure:
1. Floor plan sells the RV. Look at quite a variety of RVs. Make sure the floor plan fits your requirements.
2. Will the RV carry you and all your stuff? This is a weight question. Determine the CCC (cargo carrying capacity of the RV).
3. Will you be able to tow (for a towable RV) what you need? For motorized, will you be able to tow the vehicle you want to tow? This is a weight question. For motorized, take the GCWR minus the GVWR. That is the weight one can tow. Then check the receiver/hitch. Make sure it is rated for the weight you want to tow.

After these items are okay, one can make the decision as complicated as one wants.

Renting first is an interesting idea. The RVs that are for rent are usually the basic models with the basic floor plans. Renting might provide an idea of what it is like to travel in/with an RV, finding CGs to stay at, setting up and tearing down the camp site, etc. Keep in mind the floor plan, vehicle condition and vehicle performance may be horrible for you. This will have an impact on the view of the entire experience.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
paz

I suppose you could full-time in a Trail Manor, but I recommend against it for the following reasons:

1. Trail Manor and many regular travel trailers are designed and built for weekend use. The furnishings and flooring are not as durable, and the appliances and holding tanks are smaller than those in many 5th wheels and motorhomes.

2. In addition, you will need more cargo carrying capacity (IMO, 1000 lb minimum per person) and more elbow room than you will find in most travel trailers.

3. Finally, you will get tired of the extra work required to set up something like a Trail Manor every time you change campsites when you're doing it day in and day out.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #7

Ok, we started with the pull behind (TT) and then moved up to the 5th wheel, that was nice, but not big enough so next came the 5th wheel with 3 slides and a 4 season unit, ready for anything. Very nice oppted to swap out the washer/dryer for a small freezer, worked out great. Well finally traded off the last 5er for a Class A Motor home, Much easier to just stop most anywhere you want and have evrything you need right there with you, Genny will run it all where as a TT and/or 5ht wheel, most don't have, Plus the fresh water tanks aren't that big as they are in a MH. Just MOHopinion, don't mess around with the pull behinds, find a nice floor plan in a Class A and a nice toad to drag behind the MH so you can go and site see or chase food. Much more fun in a Motor Home/Coach.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rent. While you are using the rental, think about all the things you like and don't like about each type of unit. Then, if you decide you like the lifestyle, go out and check floor plans, to find something that will fit your particular needs. Read the stuff folks comment on, but take our actual recommendations with a grain of salt. What works for us, may be just awful for you. Just as an example of this - we were very satisfied with our paid for class c, but just thought we had to have a larger class a. Worst decision of our 40 years of camping. So, do you research before you jump - this stuff ain't cheap and the chances of getting of getting out with your shirt are slim should you not like the whole idea, or get the wrong unit.
Please - we are not trying to discourage you, we still love camping, but just urging you to really take your time and get it close to right.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I recommend going to rv shows. You get to look at lots of different types and brands of rvs all in one spot. I am retiring in August this year and will be doing exactly what you are planning on doing. I started researching 2 years out like you are doing. Although there are people fulltiming in TT's, I recommend narrowing down your choices to Class C, Class A and 5ers. The RV shows are great for helping with this decision since you will be able to see all 3 types in one place. I estimate I went to 15 shows over the past 2-3 years before making my final decision. Also, I recommend looking periodically at the Peoples website. Unlike most dealers, the listed RVs always have a floorplan, photos, and price (no "call for price" crap). This allows you to easily "shop" and see what is available around in your price range. I fake shopped for 2 years on Peoples and learned a lot from the site. And finally, read everything you can on IRV2! The people here are awesome!
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote