Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #99

I work for a company you may have heard of called Caterpillar. Lol. My husband works for a gear plant. Gotta love manufacturing.
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #100

We install splashpads or water parks as some people call them. Travel all over the USA and install them. We are 44 and have been married 25 of those yrs. Two kids-girl (16) and boy (6). Have the best time in the MH. Hope to be out on the road soon after this long winter in the snow.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #101

What a fun thread! We are new to the forum, because we've finally just started to realize that life is too short and we need to have some fun now! My husband is a large animal veterinarian (dairy cows, beef cows, some horses) and I am a veterinarn who works as an epidemiologist. We both work TOO much but in early 50's and too young to retire, but we do enjoy our jobs, just looking to get away when we can!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #102

My wife and I have been married 9 years, second marriage for both. I am retired, disabled, from NW airlines. (not a pilot) Got beat out of most of our pension, wife never worked outside home. I never say she never worked, being a home maker is full time work. I am drawing disability and a small pension, she just finished her Medical Assistant training and is looking for work. We are re-building the burned out Jayco we bought and are looking forward to traveling, hopefully some soon. I would love to live in a Class A, she won't budge. We are trying to hold our heads above water in this economy; we realize though that we are really blessed. My 68 year old brother is in his last days, now in hospice care from raging cancer. I am learning to seize the moment.Jerry
travlinjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
I am retired from 25 years with the federal government. 5 years as professional field interviewer with US Census Bureau(there is a book in that) and 20 years with U.S. Forest Service (Labor Relations and Personnel). My husband retired 38 years U.S.Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management. Last 7 years of his career part of National Incident Team, (wild fires and national incidents). He worked at Ground Zero, Katria, Space Shuttle Recovery,etc
We worked hard and made alot of sacrifices to retire early and travel.
We live on an acre in the woods in central Oregon and have a view of the Cascade Mountains from our home. Its amazing.
We travel about seven months of the year with a small dog and two senior cats!
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 PM   #104

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Work in a food warehouse (laborer ), wife is a homemaker (EBay). Plan to retire in about 5 years at age 53...See too many fellow workers work till they can no longer work because of health issues. And then pass-a-way shortly after they retire with 40 - 45 years of service. I want to walk out with a good back and healthy...

Life is not meant to work...... get out and see the country.

I'm blessed to get 6 weeks of vacation a year. It's been 15 years since we stayed home...on vacation...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #105

Nothing. Caterpillar pays me to stay home after 40 years of designing big boy toys. Best Job I ever Had, Retirement.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #106

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, in times gone by I got paid to tell cops where to go

now i get paid to not tell cops where to go.

Retired Police Dispatcher
Old 03-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #107

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
USN Retired Officer in 87 after 21 years, Retired Nuclear Health Physicist / Consultant and Training Program Developer after 11 years, forced to retire from Child Care Center Owner/Operator... still look for nuclear Teaching or Program Development contracts. The Better-Half is Retired Special Education Teacher, now works (12+yrs) as Travelling Critical Care RN. We have been RV'ers for last 42 years and soon, we hope in 2 years, will be Real FT'ers. No house, no pool, no grass... just trout that swin and elk that graze, a deer here and there... two small dogs Italian Greyhound and Chihuahua/Jack Russel Mix.

Hope to pass on in a trout stream in Yellowstone and simply float away... or maybe sittin next to a big oak tree waiting for a blind deer to stumble past... lol

Our kids wont have much to squabble over, just memories of Mom & Dad pullin to the drive and asking "When is Dinner"? Or searching for us wherever we are, and often hiding out where "Hmmmmm... no cell service" Bummer.
MegaRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #108

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm retired. Then I started working again because SS just doesn't pay the bills. So I'm a 68 YO cabinetmaker and make signs with a small CNC machine. I do 3-4 kitchens a year and sometimes help other RVer's with their interior projects.
Handcrafted Wood Design
pkunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:51 AM   #109

Mental Health nurse. Run a community mental health team, we outreach into community Started full time work when I was 16. Little over 3 yrs and I am 60. 6 months after that I qualify for long service leave(3 months on full pay)... taking that at half pay and not going back to full time work. Will travel a little work a little and travel a little more
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #110

48 devorced work on helecopter jet engines pay is good get 5 weeks vacation a year i stay in the texas hill country and the coast fishing when in the rv
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #111

Texas Boomers Club
Love This Post

From babysitting other folks kiddos I graduated to car-hopping at an A&W. It has been uphill from there.

Receptionist at an HVAC, working for a CPA doing bookkeeping, part of the office force at Sealy Mattress manufacturing plant, Jewelry sales clerk, cross country truck driver, owner of a gift wrapping and stroller rental kiosk in a mall, owner of 2 antique stores, owner of air dispensing machines, professional organizer, owner of a home staging business, wife, mom, grandma.

Through most of it I've kept a journal. I'm passionate about being sure that my generation and the ones to follow do not lose one of our most precious arts - which is writing individual histories destined to enrich many futures. As a sideline and a way to fuel my passion (getting others to journal) I design and produce prompted journals. Even have one developed just for the RV crowd.

Because of our visits with RV folks at the recent RV shows we've attended we came up with a Teen Journal Challenge designed for parents and grandparents of teens which works well for RV people and stay at home people too. Interested folk can check it out here.

What a fantastic post! I've enjoyed reading each and every entry and have learned a lot along the way. Way to go!
BacktoRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I am retired from the military, (Navy and Coast Guard). I am also retired after 21 years as a combination building inspector and I draw SS and 2 other pensions. I have done car and RV detailing for about 11 years part time and I also work 3 days a week doing maintenance at an upscale apartment community. My wife is an RN, and she said that she is close to retiring after 37 years of it. When she does, I am quitting my part time job too. We are going traveling.