Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #1

What would you do

I took my vehicle in to the shop to have the AC repaired; (didn't cool).
First thing they did was evacuate and recharge the system. $130.
Two days later, no cool air.
Back in shop; they said that it needs a new compressor; .Evacuate and charge system; and replace compressor, $650.
Had new compressor installed.
Five days later; no cool air, back in shop.
Was told compressor they put in was leaking; and needed to be replaced.
They replaced compressor for free but charged me to evavuate and charge system; $135. I thought I was getting a new compressor, they installed a remanufactured compressor.
Two days later, cool air should be according to specs 38 to 44 degrees; was 55 degrees.
Back in shop
They said that I needed a new condenser; this one pluged up; cost $$325.

At this point I"m looking for advice.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #2

Advoce? You dont need advice, you need a small claims court.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I'm experiencing A/C problems also and the techs want to just throw parts at it.
If (they say) the condensor is "plugged" internally affecting 134a flow your pressures should be off specs.
If (they say) your cond is plugged with dirt and debris it can be washed out. A good test you can do is spray cool water on it with A/C running and see if vent temp drops.
If the unit is blowing cold temps when you pick it up then warming up after a few days I'd suspect a leak. As the vent temps heat up do you hear the compressor cycling on and off?
The shop should not charge you to evacuate and recharge if their parts are defective.
I'd try to find another shop and spend a few $$$ for a second opinion. Sounds like these guys are just throwing parts without a clue.
You might ask them if the cond. is plugged how come it works
for a couple days?
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Advoce? You dont need advice, you need a small claims court.
And a new shop. I have managed a repair shop for the past 7 yrs.

We are experienced. We would have know on the first trip if the compressor was bad, and the condensor was plugged. We ONLY would have charged you the service fee once. We would NOT have let you leave the shop with freon in the system if it wasn't gonna work for you.

That being said....there are more than a few shops around here that will STEAL your $$$ as fast as they can.

My shop has been in business for 27 yrs, word of mouth advertisement works for us.

Call your states BAR office and file a complaint. NOT the BBB as they actually have NO power, and only try to mediate a compromise.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #5

I went through the same thing with my MH. Every week it was back to have it "Checked and repaired". Wound up replacing everything and it still didn't work right.

Took it to another shop and they spent all of 10 minutes to tell me it was a bad dash control! $57 later it was working just fine. You get caught up in it and they take you for a ride. There is probably not much you can do about it except bad mouth them all over town. Bad word of mouth goes a long ways too....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

Would calling the credit card company and denying the charges be an option?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would echo the others on going to a new shop. I'm no expert on aircons but the back/forth and extra $$ just doesn't sound professional to me. Sorry you had such a rotten experience ...
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
...NOT the BBB as they actually have NO power, and only try to mediate a compromise.
While it's true the BBB has no legal power, the threat of having their rating of a business lowered can have some leverage. I've had some luck using the BBB to get satisfaction. In the past in AZ, certain agencies, such as the State Attorney General General Consumer Fraud Division wouldn't accept a complaint unless one had already tried the BBB.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Melvonnar,

I would give the credit card company a call. Never know it may work.

Mike
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Call the credit card company and dispute ALL the charges by this shop...

Call lawyer and talk about possibility of having a case...

Find a different shop that is willing to actually troubleshoot the problem. Then use their info as evidence against first shop...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #11

I think lawyers are a money pit; even if you win the case, you lose; the lawyer wins even if you lose.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #12

It's in the shop now; they promised to replace compressor with a new on; I called them and told them to replace compressor evacuate and refill with freon; no charge and to not replace condenser; I'll pick it up. I'm going to ask for a copy of the recept showing that I have a new compressor.

Then I think I will call credit card company and see what they have to say.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If they do that work at no charge, then you will have been compensated for at least the $650... You might be able to dispute the last $135 charge (which was BS IMO since they are replacing a bad compressor they installed), but prolly not the first $130.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First thing they should have done is check for leaks, but it's too late now. I would look in the yellow pages and find a small claims court and sue the bastards. You usually don't need a lawyer in small claims court. Check with your local justice of the peace, if you have one.