Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Sit and Wait 6 16.67%
Drive On (next entrance is many blocks away) 7 19.44%
Start the turn and try to get the car to backup 23 63.89%
Blast the air horn in frustration. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
I heard somewhere, all other things being equal, that the vehicle on the primary road has a right of way preference over the vehicle on a secondary road. I would have committed to the turn and waited for him to get out of the way. After you stoped and waited, I think the rule that the car on the right has the right-of-way might come into play. If you go down the road, you either have the narrow road to navigate or turn around and turn left accross 3 lanes of heavy traffic. I think you have the right-of-way as long as you proceed to make your turn. The option of how to get out of your way is his. Even if there is a couple cars behind him, as soon as you commit to the turn, they need to give way so you can complete it.

That's just my opinion, not based on any written rules that I know of. If I'm bigger, I take the right-of-way; if I'm smaller, I yield.

Bicycles and pedestrians best stay on the sidewalk. (not really, I share the road with them when I'm not using it) [no, not really, I give them all the room I can, if they aren't in my way] {no, no, not that either: I try to be considerate, but I don't yield when I have the right-of-way} Oh, that's not right either. Let's just say; I try to be considerate of all vehicles and pedestrians, stay out of the way of vehicles bigger than me and not impede the flow of traffic more than necessary.

1998 Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4 K2500

2003 PT Cruiser
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Common courtesy would have me backing up in the little car if I was day dreaming. Otherwise I would stop well back like I do for trucks. Problem is some people have no idea what it takes to drive and manuever a larger vehicle. I would NEVER pull into an intersection blind.

So like 68% answered, I'd pull, ahead force the car to backup with a smile and shrug, and save them from being T-boned.

If they wanted to wait me out..I'd make a sandwich, get a soda, some chips, and turn on the TV. Then post a note; had to use the restroom. BRB

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #17
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Someone asked what I did. I waited, jestering with a pair of upraised palms and a shrug of my shoulders. The car inched forward and when the first three lanes where clear, pulled across (after 3-4 minutes)and temporarily stopped in the inner of the 3 lanes that I was in, completely blocking it. People who are willing to do that seem so self-centered that it was unlikely that he would have backed up under any circumstances but I had no way of knowing that at the time.

My general comment is that there seem to be a lot of people that act like they hate RVs. Whether it is home owners associations who hound RV owners (whether they have the CCR right to do so or not) or drivers who simply refuse to give an RV room to turn or stop. There was thread on another site about a driver who "tapped" the back of trailer who didn't pull out fast enough for him. I think I would have probably lost it if that had happened to me. For this one, I just kept my cool and continued on my way. My DW is always reminding me about FIDO - Forget It, Drive On. Most of the time I listen
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 04:46 AM   #18
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If they wanted to wait me out..I'd make a sandwich, get a soda, some chips, and turn on the TV. Then post a note; had to use the restroom. BRB </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best answer yet!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #19
I saw a Greyhound bus try to make the same type of righthand turn. The car would not budge.
The bus slowly crept toward the car, inch by inch until they almost touched.

The the car decided to back up. As he did so the bus proceeded to move forward, BUT, instead of pulling to the right into the right lane the bus proceeded to move ahead in the cars lane anD BACKED THE CAR ALL THE WAY TO THE NEXT BLOCK.

All the while the was driver was laughing hysterically and had the expression of a crazy person and waving his arms wildely. The bus had no passengers except for me
[another bus driver]. I laughed till I had tears in my eyes.

This was the same bus driver who forced a car off the road and then went after the car driver with a fire ax. Reason: Car pull in too close while passing. Bus caught up with car and, well, you know what happened.

Buses no longer are allowed to have an ax on board.

AMERICA, you got to love it!
No more RV'ing. Sold it.
lwmuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 AM   #20
Mid Atlantic Campers
Yup, the crazy Bast--- usually gets his way. like the guy waving a shotgun and throwing you the bird, ya better gey outa his way, and quick.

Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote