Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What Would You Do?
Sit and Wait 6 16.67%
Drive On (next entrance is many blocks away) 7 19.44%
Start the turn and try to get the car to backup 23 63.89%
Blast the air horn in frustration. 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put a cable in my MH to take care of an engine shut down due to exhaust brake solenoid noise. Yesterday, I wanted to test the EB to make sure that everything was working fine. On the way back, I had to turn into our street - and that is where the problem occured.

I was turning off of a 6 lane (3 each direction) 45mph road onto a small 2 lane road. The turn is a very hard right and there was no way for me to make it in the MH without taking part of the other lane. A car came up to the stop sign in that lane and wanted to turn left. Now, we are blocking one another - I cannot turn and he cannot see around me to make his turn. I'm dead stopped on the road and waiting for the thunk announcing that some idiot had run into the back of me. The next turn for me is a 1/2 mile away and will require me to thread my way through a narrow streeted neighborhood.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:38 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I put a cable in my MH to take care of an engine shut down due to exhaust brake solenoid noise. Yesterday, I wanted to test the EB to make sure that everything was working fine. On the way back, I had to turn into our street - and that is where the problem occured.

I was turning off of a 6 lane (3 each direction) 45mph road onto a small 2 lane road. The turn is a very hard right and there was no way for me to make it in the MH without taking part of the other lane. A car came up to the stop sign in that lane and wanted to turn left. Now, we are blocking one another - I cannot turn and he cannot see around me to make his turn. I'm dead stopped on the road and waiting for the thunk announcing that some idiot had run into the back of me. The next turn for me is a 1/2 mile away and will require me to thread my way through a narrow streeted neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #3

You're missing one response, Size Rules. If I was driving the smaller more agile vehicle, I would "make room" and maybe wave at you with 20% of my fingers. Then again, you could push him out of the way.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:57 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Erich, I sort of had your comments in mind for answer #3. It was a pretty small car and I was considering going to make my usual turn, hoping that he would panic and backup when he saw the mass of my front bumper coming at him.

I didn't want to taint the answers but most of us who use this road NEVER try the left turn. The traffic is paced in a way that makes getting across at least 4 lanes difficult and somewhat dangerous. Many who do try the left turn will pull across the first two lanes and block the 3rd lane, waiting for the other side to clear. The screeching brakes and horn blowing that often results from that can be heard a long ways away. As it turns out, he was one of those. Imagine coming down that road in the fastest of 3 lanes only to find, on extremely short notice, that there is nothing to do but T-bone the fool who stopped in your lane.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:40 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Chas you forgot one ( give them the finger and point yer shotgun at them while motioning them to back up) !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #6

My question to you chasfm11 is, who arrived in the intersection first, you or he? In California the first one into the intersection has the right-of-way. Of course, if the second guy is an idiot, that doesn't help much unless a collision occurs and a cop is there to write it up that he did not have the right-of-way.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps you've heard of RHIP (Rank Has Its Privileges) well in this case I would go with SHIP.

S = size.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure about the "right of way" aspect. Technically, I was at the intersection first and, since I did not have a stop sign, should have had the right of way. Since I had to cross hard into his lane to complete my turn, however, I'm not sure that I have a legal point to stand on.

We have all experienced the siutation where the passenger vehicle makes no attempt to consider the size and space requirements (and sometimes even stopping distance) of our RVs and simply pulls into a position because they can.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #9

I would have went ahead and started the turn just like any 18 wheeler would have and do.

Many times I have done this, with our larger RV's one really doesn't have a choice. Most smaller vehicle drivers will back up or move over to give us room.

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:27 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If Texas road laws are as most states, it is illegal to back into an intersection. Since the rear of your rv was still in the road you were leaving you could not back up and the car approaching the intersection should have stopped far enough back to allow you to complete your turn.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #11

I have had this same senario with a trucker just recently. I was already into the turn when he pulled into the interesection. I couldn't back up due to a toad on back. He wouldn't back up but could. I continued to inch towards his cab, just about the time we would have touched, he backed his rig up, cussing his head off. We would have tied that intersection up for a long time had he not moved, because I couldn't. I am certain he knew better than to proceed into the intersection and did so anyway.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A point of clarification seems in order. This "intersection" is really more like a "Y". I was coming down one leg of the top and trying to turn back up the other leg, it is just about that sharp a turn. I was still in the right most lane of 3 and since I hadn't turned the wheel yet, was still physically pointing straight ahead (which is why going on was still an option). My nose was past the edge of the offshooting 2 lane but if I turned at that moment, I would have put the rear tires in a culvert. I had to move forward more before turning and car was blocking that space.

I concur that we could have tied up the intersection a long time. I couldn't turn because I didn't have the room. He couldn't turn because the traffic on the far three lanes was "wall to wall". After I was there for a minute or so, I was actually afraid to try to go forward instead of turning for fear that he would try to get across in front of me. I felt that it was a no win situation for me, which is why I thought I'd try to poll to see what others might have done.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #13

OK, first, if I was the little car, I would have stopped far enough back to give your you to turn. Assuming you had your turn signal on so I knew what you were doing. If I didn't and then noticed you were turning, I would have backed up. If I could not back up, I would have gone ahead and turned right so you could turn.

Now, being in the bigger vehicle, and taking that I am a very stubborn woman, I would have sat there until the cows came home waiting for him to do something. If it took long enough, I would have either gotten out and given him a lesson in driving an RV and let him know that I can't turn with him there so that he either move or we can wait a little longer. Now, if I were PMSing, I would have laid on my horn until he moved. I also probably would have prayed that he dart out and get nailed. (OK, I would have repented for the prayer for physical injury eventually, but hey when I am PMSing, you really don't want to tick me off, ask dh, when he comes out of hiding! )

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #14

I agree with the others, I was committed to making the turn and would have proceeded toward the car, forcing him to back up to give me room. Now you have given us several options, which did you pick?

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote