Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
What's the old song?

Take this job and shove it
I ain't workin here no more!

Left my last job 5 or 6 years ago and haven't looked back
Every day is Saturday. BTW, what day is it today I lose track.

Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #16
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would try to exit in a grateful, respectful manner, without burning any bridges, one never knows what the future may hold.

dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
My job had dwindled to the point (economic downturn time) that I was going to give my resignation/retirement notice for about 6 weeks out. Instead I was called into the office, told that my job had been eliminated at the end of the week (that day!!). This meant that I would be sent out of the door with 26 weeks of unemployment checks and my company pension at age 67 plus SS which I had been collecting for almost 2 years. I had planned on working another year or so until my DW could retire, but 'things happened' and I found way mor things to do then ever expected. Today, looking back, might have sent them a less then complimentary letter
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #18
Told my boss two years ago I was retiring end of June. He asked me to stay till the end of August and I did. After nearly 40 years I was ready to do something fun. They have asked me back to as a consultant and I am currently doing that on my terms and schedule. Works well for me and they are glad to have me back.

Leaving on good terms may prove lucrative, you never can tell. I would not burn any bridges.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #19
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am one of those odd creatures that actually liked my job, but it was high stress and demanding. However, when I got really good news from my financial planner, I decided in early July to retire well ahead of plan. I went to my boss, and we jointly decided on a date 5 weeks away to give him time to plan my replacement. My official letter, addressed to my Vice President and HR, said only that I would be retiring on 21 August. My exit interview was focused on only administrative clean-up : when my insurance would lapse, what COBRA benefits I was entitled to, renewing my non-disclosure statement, and confirming my security clearance was appropriately terminated. Straightforward.

Now that I have been retired a few months, I am gradually getting my life ordered. Travel, catching up on reading and hobbies that have been put off for years, and just running at a slower pace have been the activities so far. Kind of nice!
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240 RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 AM   #20
One example is :"Ah sheet, ah queet!".
Tom & Jan ---- Westwing43
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Love these responses, Thank You!

I have been treated well. Work at a hospital in a Cardiac testing unit and no need for them to worry about me making mischief as my work record speaks for itself. I will be 64 when I retire so with SS, savings, and 401Ks will be fine. I don't dislike my job, but the stress is getting too much. Pay cobra for a few months and then move on to Medicare an supplemental.

I think it is different for each person as to wage and what they have saved, paid off , retirement, and SS payment. I don't need to work until 66 yrs so won't and no need for me to leave on anything but good terms so will leave on good terms. They have treated me well, paid me well, and I have been a good employee. Don't call in or cause problems, I know my job and do it.

I am curious to see other responses as they come. Lynne
Love the sunshine and warmer weather!
Lynne and Jerry RVM 105
2004 Winnebago Itasca Sunova / 2012 Toyota Prius / 2016 ACME EZE-Tow Dolly
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #22
Caterpillar gave me one month in DEC. 2008 to decide if I wanted to retire or not; retirement date would be 1 Feb 2009. My answer was where is the front door; I am out of here. I left after 40 years with a good pension and a buyout.

I would just go human service and put in your retirement papers one to two months before you plan on retiring. I believe that all that is needed.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #23
I have a pack of 3x5 index cards in my desk....after taking any sick days they owe me, I will probably take one and write "Bye, good luck" on it. I assume I won't have any vacation days left and absolutely will not go back to work after I retire the next time.

Seriously though, if retiring I will have to do some paperwork ahead of time and fill out a form or two, and I would have the decency to let my immediate supervisor know well ahead of time what my plans were. I already do my best to make sure there are at least one or two folks who can do my job in a pinch, because it is well understood that though I am very loyal I will take a better offer it it happens my way. If transferring, they will get a two weeks notice and a thank you, no letter required or expected. Usually an exit interview and regardless of reason for leaving I would speak my mind there, but I do the same any time they ask my opinion.
2016 Keystone Sprinter 334 FWFLS
2015 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7L CTD 4x4 with Curt Q16 Slider
Zigeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry, they wouldn't allow me to post it here!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #25
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Like many people, retirement is just around the corner for me. Somewhere in the next 14 to 16 months. I dream about it because I am SOOOO ready but due to the need for insurance, I will work a while longer.

When I do write that letter, it will go something like this:

Dear Employer,

After many years at this institution it is time for me to retire. I want to thank you for the many opportunities you have given me over the years and hope that the relationship has been as beneficial for you.

The future holds for both of us many opportunities, I think mine will be more fun as I travel this great country. Much success to you in the future.

Resignation effective June 10, 2017. Lynne

Yep, short and sweet, don't burn any bridges. What would yours sound like? Lynne
I would keep the letter really simple. I believe in saying as little as possible to clearly convey the intention. If you want to thank them for the employment and wish them well in the future do it verbally at your retirement party.

I would give them notice well in advance so all of the retirement paperwork can be completed by your retirement date. You might as will fill out the required forms on their dime when possible.

"This letter is notice of my intention to retire effective June 10, 2107."
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Interesting reading all of these. I have 3 yrs. till that time. The first part of the plan took place two weeks ago when we sold our boat after 11yrs. Now we have most of the money to do some serious shopping for our MH. Wife is retired 6 yrs older than me I need to go at 62 get my pension have some 401k but want to try this all out while working to see what we expect to spend doing some modest traveling. Wanting to hold off till 661/2 for ss but won't be caught up doing that money wise till I'm 80. Planner suggests waiting but I can turn it on earlier if need be.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #27
Ford Super Duty Owner
After about 11 years at a company who's policies kept changing, I went to the terminal managers office and gave him a letter that went like this:

July 03, 2015

[First Name]

It is my intention that on July 31, 2015 at the end of my shift I intend to resign my position at [Company Name] and retire.

[My Name]

The TM was shocked as most who have been leaving burned vacation and sick pay and forgot to come back.

At 0809 August 1, I dropped my badge on the office managers desk and walked out. (Saturday morning, no one around.)

Every night I take my brain out and wash it in muriatic acid and rinse it with Jim Beam trying to memory out. And every month they send me some POS BS in the mail and bring back the misery.

I liked my job and co-workers but owners...I won't go there.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #28

Location: RV currently under construction near Elkhart Indiana
Great idea

As I am a couple of months away, I'm surprised I haven't looked for help on this. Great idea!

RVstudent is offline   Reply With Quote