Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #29
Fleetwood Owners Club
I worked in a small company (6 people). I bought 5 old fashioned rubber drain plugs, wrote my name and retirement date on each one, rolled up a short retirement notice, stuck in in the wire loop and gave one to everyone, officially 'pulling the plug'.

Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
On the Go - One of These Days...
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #30
iRV2 No Limits Club
After three years of being sick my wifes company sent her a letter 6 days before the end of the month saying they were terminating her employment. No good luck on her health problems (liver cancer) nor even enough info to make an informed decision on health insurance. Due to that we have several $1,000's of bills to pay.
She basically worked for the same company (it was sold several times) for 33 years. They also didn't pay her a bonus she was legally entitled to, but it would cost too much to take them to court.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have now completed a little over a week since my retirement went into effect. I gave a 2-week notice. They actually want me to come back to work part time. I will consider it, but not until February when Social Security kicks in.

I just sent the boss an email giving notice and that was that.

By the way, I am still waiting for my gold watch. All I got was a headcold from the guy I was training to take over my job.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #32
Your laid off effective immediately!
Oh thats right, thats how I retired Jan 31,2009
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #33
Mine, to Boeing, read "Because of the cheap-**** travel arrangement those bastards from McDonnell-Douglas stuck us with after the merger, I'm outta here at 59. No way in hell am I going to travel in the back of the bus on 25+ hour, 2-flight trips to the Middle East. Stick it where the sun don't shine. Sayonara."
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:05 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Interesting reading all of these. I have 3 yrs. till that time. The first part of the plan took place two weeks ago when we sold our boat after 11yrs. Now we have most of the money to do some serious shopping for our MH. Wife is retired 6 yrs older than me I need to go at 62 get my pension have some 401k but want to try this all out while working to see what we expect to spend doing some modest traveling. Wanting to hold off till 661/2 for ss but won't be caught up doing that money wise till I'm 80. Planner suggests waiting but I can turn it on earlier if need be.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Sorry this was actually not on topic.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #35
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine resulted in a past supervisor taking a cut in pay and rank.. If that gives you any idea.. It charged him with conduct unbecoming a State Police Lt. (At least it did not include a subpoena.. It should have).

Of course only HIS boss saw that letter. As I handed it to him personally, I did not send it via the interdepartmental mail.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #36
Fleetwood Owners Club
When my wife and I retired 9 years ago, we gave our employers a three month notice as we felt this would be a courteous thing to do. What we both found out was that there were many other employees that were more concerned about how our retirement was going to affect them and their work personally. Most were really not concerned about us. We both lost well over 480 hours of sick leave because fortunately we were hardly ever sick. I worked for my employer for over 27 years and my wife was at her employer for over 32 years. When I walked out the door I left the watch that they gave for 25 years of service (after they asked me if I had ever received it) and that was actually engraved on the back for 15 years of service. That certainly made me feel important and needed. Yeah don't burn any bridges, keep it simple and to the point! We both decided if we had to do it again TWO WEEKS notice is plenty. Two weeks after my wife retired a Doctor came to the door asking her to come to work for him. She professionally declined his offer. Good luck in your process and enjoy the day when it comes.
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:35 PM   #37
Retired after working 36 years for the U.S. Army. I loved it and actually had a mandatory retirement date. Had a great retirement ceremony and party afterward. The wife and I enjoy retirement a lot and also running around the country in our vintage RV. Good luck to all in your retirement and God Bless.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #38
I worked for a company called Leica (Danaher)
After 37 years and many changes, I gave them a month notice. They never reply and thanks me for so many years. What a cheap company. And I was among one of their best employees as far as sales,
As you understand, there is not one item at home that have a Leica name on it.
And when I see a name of competitors n products they use , I smile.
laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #39
After working for a technology company for 40 years they told me my job was moving to India without me. I asked what they would offer for me to retire. They came back with the offer and I accepted it. In the exit interview I turned in my badge and my public transportation pass and walked out the door. This was in Feb 2011.

There was no termination letter on my part or any thank you for your service from the company.
tmoore2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #40
Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Skeetobite View Post
I left a publicly traded company as a VP about 16 years ago. Great company, great relationships, but was leaving to start my own business. Wrote a short, complimentary resignation letter indicating I will be leaving in 90 days. One week later the SVP showed up with a check for the pay covering the 90 days notice and showed me the door. Ha ha, I still laugh about it, but they didn't believe in "long goodbyes". In hind sight, I completely agree given the size of the portfolio I managed.

I think the idea is to give the notice, express gratitude and well wishes where they apply and then move down the road.
That was good. I recommend everybody give notice. If you give two weeks and they want you gone they have to pay to get rid of you. A nice chunk of change for a well deserved vacation.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #41
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired in 1999 (at 51) after 30 years with the DOT. Got passed over for promotion to head of the IT dept (illegally under state law) and my 30 years was up anyway. Gave them 2 weeks notice. My boss (who was in on the promotion setup and got his promotion out of it) scheduled my going away party on a Friday when most people were off and "forgot" to tell most people about it anyway. Am still getting paid 60% of my old salary for life in addition to what I earn working or collect from SS. No love lost there at all.
Should add: the "genetleman" that got the promotion was the son in law of one of the big wigs in the dept. Very few people knew of the connection and I was sick of the place anyway so I just let it go rather than file a complaint. Got better jobs anyway.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #42
Jayco Owners Club
342 days for me... and I'll have to start my retirement paperwork 90 days before leaving. I have a bit of a colorful past in this company, and they're good about doing a nice retirement party on your last day... or is it a roast? Well, with my past, it'll probably be the latter... It's been a great company, but there are a few egos I could have lived without. I will miss my time here... like a wart, or a sore toe... but I'll miss it, in a sick, festering sort of way... Not really. I have had a lot of great experiences, and a lot of friends, but plenty away from work, too. That and my hobbies and travel will make it all worthwhile. I'm 64 and have been employed or self-employed for 55 years if you count paper routes and lawn mowing... It's time to quit and just play. Well... I'm married... and she does a great job with honey-do lists... so maybe it won't be all it's chalked up to be. I'm ready to find out...

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote