Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martino78 View Post
Gouging at its best! Supply and demand my arse!!
Their wholesale cost is determined by supply and demand, and has a direct effect on the lowest price they can charge. The selling price at the pump is determined by their local competition, their desire to sell gas, and numerous other factors. If they have no competition, they can charge whatever the market will bear.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #30

I don't know what to believe. Some ppl say supply and demand, others say what their distributor tells them to charge, now you're saying they can set the price to whatever they can get away with. You see stations near the interstate with higher prices than ones 1/2 mile away, and they claim delivery costs. Refineries shut down to jack prices up when there is plenty of gas and oil in storage. Call it what you want, it all spells gouging. Maybe if I owned oil stock, I would defend the oil companies.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sitting under the awning, drinking a cold one, and tending my bbq grill at the WalMart parking lot I was camping at, I noticed a state maintenance crew working in the median strip of the nearby road. They had the yellow truck with the shovels and rakes on the side.

One guy would hop out, grab a shovel from his side of the truck, go to the back and dig a hole, then get back in. A few minutes later, another guy would hop out, grab a rake from his side, rake the dirt back into the hole, tamp it down nice and neat, and get back in. They'd move the truck up 10 feet or so, and do the whole routene again, over and over.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I grabbed a couple of cold sodas from the cooler, and walked over to ask them what they were doing. I said: "Looks like you guys are just digging a hole, and filling it back in! What's up with that?"

They took the sodas from me and said: "Guy who puts the trees in the hole called in sick today."

(DISCLAIMER: Not a true story. For entertainment purposes only. Void where prohibited. Your mileage may vary. Do not fold spindle or mutilate.)
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #32

Day-ja voo...doo.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I don't know what to believe. Some ppl say supply and demand, others say what their distributor tells them to charge, now you're saying they can set the price to whatever they can get away with. You see stations near the interstate with higher prices than ones 1/2 mile away, and they claim delivery costs. Refineries shut down to jack prices up when there is plenty of gas and oil in storage. Call it what you want, it all spells gouging. Maybe if I owned oil stock, I would defend the oil companies.

Off topic for this thread, but if what you say is true (Refineries shut down to jack prices up, Gas stations involved in price fixing, etc), then there are crimes being committed. My example was for a pure wholesale/retail, sole proprieter gas station scenario.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #34

I asked the owner of a gas station and he told me the distributor faxes him every day as to what he should charge/gal.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I asked the owner of a gas station and he told me the distributor faxes him every day as to what he should charge/gal.
Then the distributor owns the pumps and, essentially, the gas business at that store. The store owner needed to offer fuel to be competetive, and the distributor came in with a turn-key solution.

A similar situation got a local (to me) gas distributor in trouble in my home town:

State Sues Mebane Gas Supplier
Old 05-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #36

Thx Ramblin.

Back on topic.

On the way to Sam's Club, I saw a woman walking down the street with a Clear umbrella. Maybe it provided UV protection. Not a cloud in the sky and no prediction of rain in the near future.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #37

The umbrella is for the chemtrail fallout
Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thx Ramblin.

Back on topic.

On the way to Sam's Club, I saw a woman walking down the street with a Clear umbrella. Maybe it provided UV protection. Not a cloud in the sky and no prediction of rain in the near future.
Well I saw a 70 year old fella in clear plastic see through shorts. But then again it was in Hollywood
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #39

Once when I drove semi I was going through a construction site and had a construction truck in front of me putting down cones. The cones were only about 1" wider than my rig so I started hitting them and knocking them over. The truck kept going and finally the guy putting down the cones gave me a "look" and just threw them over the side... Never once thinking to place them wider apart...

And they pay these guys!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
A couple of years ago we were camped at the Chilkoot Lake State Park, just outside of Haines, AK. It was spring and we had been warned of extensive early season bear problems in the park. While sitting down for lunch in the rig, the RV began rocking and moving while parked with the jacks down and the engine unpowered. Thinking a bear might be trying to get into the basement or had smelled lunch being prepared I rushed outside clanging some pans and an axe, making all sorts of noise while yelling fiercely to chase the creature off before too much damage was done to our new rig. Went down the side, across the rear, up the other size, and around the front and found or saw NOTHING. Not a mark on the rig, and no sign of a bear.

Wasn't till the next day that we found we were about 10 miles from the epicenter of a 6.0 earthquake that had hit the previous noon. At least there were few campers in the park to view my ridiculous antics. ---Oh well, ---
Now that made my day.........The wife and I hade a good giggle at your very funny post. Thanks for the laugh, I realy needed it today...
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #41

Quote:
So, was this the only woman to ever fly out of Cancun wearing an underwire bra?
Next time I'll check them all! Thanks for the idea.

She was the only one we saw having trouble.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago now When I was hauling logs in B.C. I came down off the mountain to get on the Coquihalla Hwy. I had to go under the underpass under the highway to gain access to the highway and there was a camper van parked there. I am guessing these people thought they were in a desolated place where nobody would come along. The man in his sixties was standing in front of the van having a pee. As I was coming past them their little poodle dog ran out in front of my truck and was dancing around barking. Not wanting to run over their little dog I stopped . There was the wife squatting behind the van. She was screaming at the dog with a very red face and the husband was laughing so hard he almost fell over. He finally retrieved the dog and I went on my way. I don't think that dog got any treats for a while.