Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #113
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Our previous house, we lived across the street from the boat launch. My wife actually saw the same thing. An Asian fellow with his family launched the boat and trailer together. Wife phoned me a work and gave me a play by play. I told her to get the video camera out, however, had't used it for quite a while and battery was dead.

Another weird one was a live mortar shell was found in the lake not far from the launch.
Our area lake used to be used by the DND for mortar practice way back. Not sure how the shell was found but glad I didn't hit it with my prop. They closed off his end of the lake and Divers came and set a charge to blow it up.

Regular activity for us was watching people's launch and dock procedures. Some, I'm sure ended in divorce, some in insurance claims, some in fist fights. The whole gambit. Some people just shouldn't own things that move!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #114

I'm sure I happens quite often with newbies. Just sayin' I've also gotten it in an email.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srzak View Post
You want a fun day go to a boat ramp.
How true!

This goes back a number of years but I was waiting to launch at a local lake from a ramp with VERY tight, single lane access. Several of us were backed up waiting to launch while a 20 something couple tried to launch their new 19' Jet Boat with the 390 HP Olds V8. This was their maiden trip and the boat/trailer still had the temporary numbers on it from the dealer.

Since both were rookies, they first had to decide who would get in the boat and who would push the boat off and park the trailer. I guess the DW didn't want to park the trailer so she said she'd get in the boat.

DH pushes the boat off without a bow line attached so DW is free floating away. He tells her to start the engine and slowly pull forward to the shore.

She was obviously confused as she had to look for a while to find the ignition. When she turned the key, all heck broke loose.

Jet boats will start even when they are "in gear" and apparently in the final detail the dealer had done, they had snagged the throttle cable so it was stuck wide open.

That boat came at us like a rocket and launched itself 20' inland... spewing debris everywhere. DW was screaming and wouldn't stop.

We were able to laugh once we found out she was OK. It took about 10 of us to muscle that boat back to the water and back on their trailer. I think they had lost their taste for boating on that particular day.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #116

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Would she be a good contestant for the People of Walmart?
OMG! I can't believe that you wrote that because while I was reading slickest1's reply I thought the exact same thing, and I was going to say something similar to what you wrote but you beat me to it!
I take it you get those "People of Wal-Mart emails too. They never cease to amuse me. I just hope that I don't encounter any of them on my first, highly anticipated overnight stay at Wal-Mart!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #117

So what did mythbusters come up with?
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #118

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
So what did mythbusters come up with?
MythBusters 3x09 Son of a Gun 4 - YouTube

Skip in about 1:30 and see for yourself
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #119

Wow! So were the people really that dumb or intoxicated?
Old 07-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #120

Since I've enjoyed this thread I'll throw in. Although I'm still in the process of choosing our first RV I do have a book's worth of boating blunders.

Many, many moons ago during an early spring fishing trip, it was a cool drizzly morning & I couldn't get the motor started. I sat in the boat at dock while my friend ran to town to get the part. We were at the main ramp so it was wide & long. There was no one else at the ramp or in sight for that matter. Here comes a lone gentleman in a brand new 1ton towing an equally new fully decked out 27' Boston Whaler CC with twin Honda's. As he spun around I was treated to a 20min show of the worst trailer backing skills I had ever witnessed. Primary thought going thru my head was he must have just won the lottery or sold his bean counting business (he had that look). After finally burying boat & trailer in the water he jumps into the boat & fires it up. Man what a beautiful boat I thought. He then jumps back in the truck & pulls up a few dozen feet. During all of this I notice the boat is backing up. Still trying not to bust out load laughing I noticed the boat was circling props first in a wide circle that looked to intersect rather closely to where I was tied off. I concluded that the boats arch would miss me by several feet but not the concrete ramp.

My mind quickly started to calculate options. For all the disdain I held for this chump I surely didn't want to see his props & outdrives sustain what would be substantial damage. Gunnels being too high & prop first attitude kept me in my seat as a spectator. I really don't know how he did it. Last I recall he was knee deep on the ramp waiting for an act of god, or as later disclosed - me to do something, but he was able to save it just a couple feet from contact.

Now here's the funny part. Remember it's a brisk morning with light drizzle so I'm bundled up tightly this whole time, about 45min, I never moved - not even a facial expression. After putting the throttles in neutral he looks down at me in my little 20' lake boat tied to dock & screams at me for not saving his boat for him. I just sat there blank staring at him in true fisherman fashion.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #121

Once while shark fishing off Sanibel island here in Fl. a bunch of us had chum in the water and were catching sharks. Some guy pulls up on a sand bar not 50' from us and gets out of the boat to scrape the bottom off.

We yelled at him to get back into the boat but he gave us the finger. We watched as 10' - 13' sharks circled around him. Finally his wife saw the sharks and told him. I never saw anyone move that fast. He got back in the boat, gave us the finger again and sped off only to hit a big sand bar and got stuck. Then he starts yelling for us to help him.... ya, sure....
Old 07-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post

Skip in about 1:30 and see for yourself
With my browser, it's about 6 minutes to the start of the trailer speed test.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #123

Yah, it was a bit off, but I watched the whole thing anyways. Nothing better to do.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #124

What could be better than harassing Dunner?
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #125

hmmm... besides harrassing dunner while out camping? NADA
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #126

campground fun

About 20 years ago, friends were camping in a remote CG, and a late 70's Chevy van pulls in dragging a well kept, but well used tent trailer. The van stops, mom and dad pile out, three young (under 10) kids pile out, they unload bikes, set up their charcoal grill, chairs, coolers, etc. and the kids get on the bikes and go around the loops, you know, regular camping stuff.
Anyway, the kids are gone for about ten minutes, and mom and dad decide to sneak into the trailer for a little 'afternoon delight'. A few minutes pass, the trailer is moving enough so everybody knows what is going on inside, suddenly,
the support bar holding up the bed gives, it drops out from under them, the mattress and blankets, pillows, and mom and dad roll out naked in flagrante delicto!!!! They got the whole shooting match packed up and were gone in a cloud of dust in record time. I apologize in advance if the victims are on this forum, and are now reading this. Sorry.

Regards