Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Every discussion with a salesman is an experience worth forgetting.

My favorite question is always: "What issues does this coach have?" Amazingly, they are all in perfect condition - every one of them.

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #16
WDW

We were offered an incredible finance rate, quoted from a dealer for a credit union. We lived 90 miles from the CU. When asking how we would qualify for CU membership (we did not live, work, worship or attend school in their charter area) we were told that the dealer would open a savings account with a $5.00 deposit an we cold just say we " drop off our payment on the way to church" if anyone asked. We took our deposit and left.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York

WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Walking a lot in Monroe LA looking at small tts. Opened one and went in. Sleeping bag on bed, food wrappers and go-boxes on the floor, personal items like razor and soap in bathroom, human waste stacked up in toilet. The place stunk terrible. Apparently someone was living in this brand new unit. It was outside the main fence in a row with many other new ones.
They were just getting the bugs out
Old 09-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 1988 DW and I were looking at a new Accord, nice black one, slightly lowered and Enki wheels. Wife was put off by the price so we drove over to the Toyota dealer. Walked in and ALL of the salespeople were in the back room and none would come out and talk to us.
We left and crossed Toyota off our list forever, and we've never been back nor looked at another Toyota.
Went back and bought the Accord.
Went looking at MH's with the DW. One salesman would only talk to me even when the DW asked him a specific question. Never went back.
Went to an RV show some miles away, got a ride out to the back lot to look at a DP there and saw an Alpine there. Looked in the window and saw what we liked. Asked the salesman to take a look. He said that was a $200,000 MH and refused to let us in. You can probably guess that we didn't buy from them!!
Been "profiled" by salesman who seem to think we don't look "rich enough" I guess! Their loss!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In 1988 DW and I were looking at a new Accord, nice black one, slightly lowered and Enki wheels. Wife was put off by the price so we drove over to the Toyota dealer. Walked in and ALL of the salespeople were in the back room and none would come out and talk to us.
We left and crossed Toyota off our list forever, and we've never been back nor looked at another Toyota.
Went back and bought the Accord.
Went looking at MH's with the DW. One salesman would only talk to me even when the DW asked him a specific question. Never went back.
Went to an RV show some miles away, got a ride out to the back lot to look at a DP there and saw an Alpine there. Looked in the window and saw what we liked. Asked the salesman to take a look. He said that was a $200,000 MH and refused to let us in. You can probably guess that we didn't buy from them!!
Been "profiled" by salesman who seem to think we don't look "rich enough" I guess! Their loss!!
I really like going in looking "not rich enough". Most of the time they leave us alone and we browse at liesure. If we are interested my best question is "What is your best cash price?"
Old 09-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I'm not sure this fits in this thread, apologies if it does not...

I was watching some RV TV show the other day. A young-ish couple was looking to purchase a new class A for full-timing and had a $350k budget. That's all wonderful. The first rig the salesman took them to, they made the comment that this was the first RV they had ever been in.

Really!?!?
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I really like going in looking "not rich enough". Most of the time they leave us alone and we browse at liesure. If we are interested my best question is "What is your best cash price?"
Wife and I usually wear somewhat raggedy clothes to do this kind of shopping. Keeps the salesmen from leaning over your shoulders all the time.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:25 PM   #22

I have the "look" problem and love it. Shows what salesmen want to do their job and help a customer and which ones only want to help themselves to easy money. Also shows what dealership will be good going forward - if they don't help going in, they won't help on return trips.

Boat buying - First time in a dealership they told me the boats were out back. Second time in, they said they would get back to me on a price for a used boat. Third time in they said they could get me a new boat for a decent price but didn't have any in stock. I had it with them by then.

Buying Toyota Camry - Went to 3 or 4 dealerships looking for a specific setup. Dealerships kept saying they had what I wanted, but got there and they did not. Went to a dealership and they said they didn't have what I wanted and would not be ordering anything (no reason why - I didn't care). Went online and sent e-mails through Toyota corporate website - got a reply from the Scion dealership 30ft from the dealership that said they weren't ordering. Scion dealership ordered it for me.

Buying new Jayco - go to the local dealership. Guy shows me around. We go in to talk about price. He treats me like I am bothering him to do his job. I leave, e-mail the internet salesman (after getting the first salesman's price) and get the trailer for cheaper - which is what I wanted anyway. Go back to the dealer to pick up the trailer expecting to see the other salesman - he was no where to be found.

Not having the "look" doesn't bother me. Reminds me of what is real.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler to tow. Local dealer had a new one listed on the internet with a price we were willing to pay. When we went to the dealership they wouldn't sell it to us for the price listed on the internet even though we had the stock number. Sales manager started making all kind of excuses that we didn't qualify for the discount even though the ad on the internet didn't list the requirements.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:52 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This sounds all to familiar rather than strange :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
We were looking to purchase a Jeep Wrangler to tow. Local dealer had a new one listed on the internet with a price we were willing to pay. When we went to the dealership they wouldn't sell it to us for the price listed on the internet even though we had the stock number. Sales manager started making all kind of excuses that we didn't qualify for the discount even though the ad on the internet didn't list the requirements.

Jon

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #25

Not really a story that deals with a dealer but deals with a dealership. My wife had finally bought her dream Mercedes and had taken it to the dealer about an hour and a half away to get it serviced. I had been designated to go pick it up and my brother in law had been recruited to drive me over. As the day wore on, I realized that I would not make it to the dealership by closing so I called the service department and explained my predicament. I gave them my credit card number and told them to pull the vehicle where I could get it and lock the keys inside, I would bring the spare set. Since we had no deadline, we took our time and arrived at the dealer well after dark. I hop out of my old pickup, he switches to the drivers side and I jump in the Benz, which I had previously driven 2-3 times since we owned it. I crank up , flip the lights on, put it in gear and pull out behind him on a well lighted downtown four lane street. As we pull out we meet a cop, I notice that he does a u turn and follows me but at a distance. We go through a couple of red lights and I forget the cop behind me and then all of the sudden there are blue lights everywhere. There is a cop behind me, beside me and one coming from the other direction cuts across traffic and blocks me in front. Remember, I have only been in this vehicle a couple of times so as the cops are approaching cautiously, I am fumbling with everything trying to find the button to roll the window down. He is telling me to roll the window down and I don't have a clue where the switch is so I try to open the door, big mistake. I'm jerked out of the car and thrown across the hood, two cops with their guns drawn and one cuffing me. Apparently two guys driving a 15 year old pick up don't need to pick up a new Mercedes after hours especially when the supposed owner doesn't know how to turn the headlights on. I only made it to parking lights and didn't notice because the street was lighted so well. All this time my BIL who had saw the whole thing unfold in his rear view , was sitting in a parking lot across the street laughing his tail off.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Was at a local dealership on a Sunday looking a DP... First three we walked into had salesman inside sleeping.... On the fifth or sixth one we walked into had a salesman sitting on the toilet watching the game.... Didn't bother to keep looking ..who knows what else awaited us...lol
Old 10-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #27

Went to a consignment dealer looking a 5'ers and told the salesman I was looking for one to fulltime. He says 'what do you mean by 'fulltime'? I said 'I mean to live in it all the time, as in 'fulltime'. He said, 'people actually do that'? Uh....thanks, I'll be leaving now....
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #28

The strangest thing was when we caught a salesman actually telling the truth.