Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not RV shopping but,

Stopped at the local Chrysler dealer looking to buy the DW a new truck. Salesman approaches us and the first words out of his mouth are "we close in 1/2 an hour"
I wonder if they closed on time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #30

Unfortunately my first purchasing experience hasn't happened yet. I emailed the dealership on Sunday about seeing a particular model. Talked to someone from sales on Monday to make sure someone would be available to go through it on Saturday. My wife noticed a sales pending tag on the web site on Thursday and I got a reply from my email about that on Friday saying that they had sold it. I can understand bird in hand and all that but I am sure disappointed with the situation and they have probably lost a customer for life. I'll have to keep looking...
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Went to a rv show recently and was looking at a high end fleetwood DP. Asked the salesman if you could fuel up from both sides and he didn't even know where the fuel fill-up was.😱
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasamski View Post
The strangest thing was when we caught a salesman actually telling the truth.

I have heard of that happening. I understand it's very rare. I have not experienced it myself. Much rather buy from s private seller.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
?... Asked the salesman to take a look. He said that was a $200,000 MH and refused to let us in. You can probably guess that we didn't buy from them!!
Been "profiled" by salesman who seem to think we don't look "rich enough" I guess! Their loss!!
When I go MH shopping I usually dress down (more than I usually do). Shorts, flip flops, my curious George tee shirt. Sales people usually take us seriously though.

Of course that might be because my wife always looks classy. They probably feel sorry for her
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsHisName View Post
Unfortunately my first purchasing experience hasn't happened yet. I emailed the dealership on Sunday about seeing a particular model. Talked to someone from sales on Monday to make sure someone would be available to go through it on Saturday. My wife noticed a sales pending tag on the web site on Thursday and I got a reply from my email about that on Friday saying that they had sold it. I can understand bird in hand and all that but I am sure disappointed with the situation and they have probably lost a customer for life. I'll have to keep looking...
You have to admit it was pretty classy of them to tell you it was sold. Not let you drive over and then tell you on site. I would never expect anyone to put something on hold just because I expressed an interest in looking at it. Now - if I had put down a deposit - that would be different.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #35

A salesman at Mike Thompson in Cathedral City Ca pointed at the entrance and told us, yelled actually, "get off the lot" when we told him we wanted to take a quick look and see if the inventory had changed since our last visit and didn't want to waste his time having him follow us around. He was outright belligerent and was yelling at my wife. We told him we would come get him if we found anything of interest. The manager was no help at all.

Needless to say we will NEVER set foot in a Mike Thompson lot again. We did end up buying, we drove to Idaho.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While my old RV was broken down, I decided to go look at newer DP's at a local dealership. Since I had been doing some cleaning and work on my other one, I was dressed in shorts, sneakers, and a stained t-shirt. My hands were admittedly blackened from working in the fuse box.

I asked about a new Entegra on his lot and he said in a gentle voice, "You know, those rigs are pretty pricey." I was a little shocked and proceeded to ask if he could unlock the door so I could look at the floor plan. He then said, "You have to have a pretty good job to afford something this nice." By now, I was insulted. I started walking back to the showroom, unlocked my 5-series BMW, grabbed a business card out of my console, handed it to the salesman and pointed out my director title. I simply said, "I hope I qualify for something like that one day."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Here's our experience when we bought our DP in 2004 at Beaudry RV in Tucson, AZ. I was wearing shorts, tee shirt and a hat, my wife was dressed the same. My wife is Hispanic and everyone takes me for Hispanic. We walked out of CW at Beaudry and was looking at MH's. There were younger salesmen all around, no one approached us until an older gentleman named Bob did. He asked us what we were interested in. We bought the second MH he showed us. The inexperienced salesmen are too quick to judge based on looks. But I kinda like that because usually no one bugs us when we look at newer MH's. We still have that MH.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #38

RV Trip Wizard
About a month ago I emailed a dealership about a used MH they had for sale. I asked them simply what their bottom line would be, no trade in, etc and when they emailed me back the price had gone UP by $600!

Dave N Monica
DavenMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #39

This is not a tale of RV purchases but they were vehicle salesmen.

#1 I was with my dad at a Chevy dealer and he was looking to buy a new PU truck. Mind you this was in 1954. The salesman and my dad went back and forth about the price and the salesman said the price was $1300. My dad wrote a check for $1100 and gave it to him. The salesman did the old maneuver, I'll have to take it to the boss to see if he will take it. Well, he came back and said they would not take the check, my dad said fine and tore up the check and put it in his waste basket and we left to go work at the farm. We lived in the city but had two farms to maintain. When we got home for supper the salesman was waiting in front of the house. He said we will take that check now. So my dad bought a truck.

#2 I was at a new car dealer about a mile from where I lived. I don't remember the exact circumstances but the salesman must have thought I was born the week before. I finally had enough and we got up. I put my arm around his shoulder and I took him to the front window and asked him. "Tell me if you see a turnip truck parked out there somewhere".

#3 Born and raised in SW Iowa just across the river from Omaha. Back then the stockyards in South Omaha was booming, BIG business. A rancher from western Nebraska was in town to sell a herd of cattle at the stockyards and when he completed his business came up to downtown Omaha and went to the Cadillac dealer to get some transportation for his family and ranch. He had cow manure and straw stuck to his boots and shortly after he came into the showroom a salesman threw him out. He left for a short time and came back and asked for the owner. He told him he was not treated very well but was still interested in getting some transportation. As it turned out he bought 4 new Cadillac's and the salesman was looking for a job. This would have been back in the 60's.

As a former lifetime salesman I never prejudged anyone by their appearance. I have a good friend that is worth 50+ million and you would never see him dressed in a suit unless it was a funeral or a wedding (his). My old boss worth 100+ million never wore a suit except for a diner we had at his country club for all the sales people and we had to use the main dining room and wear coat and tie. He told me he never ate in the dining room because of the rule, except for this dinner. By the way he started as a welder on a production floor and retired as #2 man in the worlds largest privately owned corporation with only a high school education.