Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

What's the strangest experience you've had RV shopping?

Up until recently, the strangest experience I've had vehicle shopping was walking around looking at Nissans at night. The salesman had gone inside for something and I was just wandering around. Near the end of the lot, there were a couple of other salesmen standing around. Then I got a whiff. They were smoking pot. I just chuckled and walked back and told the salesman I'd be back later. We eventually bought a car there, and when I got the customer survey from Nissan I related the incident under comments. Within a couple of days I got a call from the general manager apologizing profusely and asking if I knew who the guys were. I told him I don't sniff and tell, but he should know who was working that night, and who I was with (the salesman who eventually sold me the car), so he should be able to figure out potential suspects.

Well, that was the oddest experience until a couple of weeks ago. My wife, 6 year old and I were looking at High End RVs (hint: Think big "E"). The salesman and I were up front looking at the couches, tvs and whatever and my wife and daughter went into the rear to check out the bedroom. Then I hear "Hey, you have to come back here and see what our daughter found". I go back to the bedroom, and on the night stand is an unwrapped condom laying there. We looked at each other and decided we were done looking at this particular unit. I told the salesmen he might want to take care of that little surprise in the bedroom. I could tell he was shocked, but he kept a pretty good poker face considering. A few minutes later it was like nothing had ever happened as far as he was concerned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
MPH

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
We were shopping for a pre-owned diesel pusher and although our budget was small ($35-40k), we were going to pay cash. So, I went to all 3 RV dealers in our city. Spoke with a salesman at each place and told them what we were looking for. I heard the following:

"We don't have anything right now, but we're always getting units on trade [it was spring], so if you'll give me your name and number, I'll call you when we get something in that you might like."

"I don't have a dp in that price range right now, but I do have a great little Class B at a great price! It's really nice and would be a steal!

At PPL in another town, a salesman told me he would definitely call me when he got something in that would suit us. Never heard from him.

The one that takes the cake, though, happened at Camping World. We were seated at the table in a nice older coach we had just looked at, talking about the pros and cons, seriously considering making an offer, when suddenly the salesman looked at his watch and then at us and said, "Y'all go ahead and keep looking. I've got to meet my wife for lunch. I should be back in an hour and a half." And he bolted out the door. (He'd told us that he'd just gotten married the month before.)

We left CW and I started shopping on the internet. We will likely upgrade to a newer coach one of these days, but won't be purchasing it from a dealer. Apparently none of them care a whit and whistle about selling a used unit to someone who has cash in hand.

MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
The one that takes the cake, though, happened at Camping World. We were seated at the table in a nice older coach we had just looked at, talking about the pros and cons, seriously considering making an offer, when suddenly the salesman looked at his watch and then at us and said, "Y'all go ahead and keep looking. I've got to meet my wife for lunch. I should be back in an hour and a half." And he bolted out the door. (He'd told us that he'd just gotten married the month before.)
This guy would have gained credibility points with me. His relationship with new wife (theoretically) will last far longer and take far more of his risk/reward budget than that sale, or that job. Plus he'd be leaving us alone to wander and discuss! Although the guy probably could have given you a little more "gotta go soon" type warning.

Eh, we all have different takes. He could have said he had a previous appt (assuming you were walk ins; it happens). The story he gave you is really dripping with sincerity, though. I have a high-end occupation (think clients who get billed by the hour, and expect (and get) your full attention). I've never hesitated to give family commitments trump-card over things.

When I was buying my truck, we were after-dinner hour drop-ins to see what they had. The guy that had been putting in the effort to show us the inventory (I knew what I wanted, he knew what they had) had to excuse himself after a short stint. Said he had to go watch his kid's game. I told him if he didn't go, then we were leaving if only to ensure he had no reason to stay. I then went into grandpa mode and cautioned him not to blink, for they grow up plenty fast enough. He left; we still bought.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
This guy would have gained credibility points with me. His relationship with new wife (theoretically) will last far longer and take far more of his risk/reward budget than that sale, or that job. Plus he'd be leaving us alone to wander and discuss! Although the guy probably could have given you a little more "gotta go soon" type warning.

Eh, we all have different takes. He could have said he had a previous appt (assuming you were walk ins; it happens). The story he gave you is really dripping with sincerity, though. I have a high-end occupation (think clients who get billed by the hour, and expect (and get) your full attention). I've never hesitated to give family commitments trump-card over things.

When I was buying my truck, we were after-dinner hour drop-ins to see what they had. The guy that had been putting in the effort to show us the inventory (I knew what I wanted, he knew what they had) had to excuse himself after a short stint. Said he had to go watch his kid's game. I told him if he didn't go, then we were leaving if only to ensure he had no reason to stay. I then went into grandpa mode and cautioned him not to blink, for they grow up plenty fast enough. He left; we still bought.
Amen to that. Family comes first, money is second.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #5

Few years ago we were at rv dealers looking,was a cool windy day.Salesman came up out and asked what we were interested in.
Told him a class a DP.He pointed them out said all we have are in that row and said if we seen something we liked the look of to come and get him and he would unlock it so we could look inside,then he went up by building out of wind and smoked with other salespeople.
We left and when we bought sent him a card and note to let him know not everyone is a tire kicker.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #6

I was looking at a 30 ft. Class A gaser and asked the salesman to help me open the hood.
He laughed and said " The engine is in the back ".

We left.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakratdave View Post
Few years ago we were at rv dealers looking,was a cool windy day.Salesman came up out and asked what we were interested in.
Told him a class a DP.He pointed them out said all we have are in that row and said if we seen something we liked the look of to come and get him and he would unlock it so we could look inside,then he went up by building out of wind and smoked with other salespeople.
We left and when we bought sent him a card and note to let him know not everyone is a tire kicker.
No kidding!

The older I get, the more weight I put on the relationship and/or character and company culture of who I am dealing with. The sales guy I mentioned who was completely candid about his kid's event and resulting conflict of interest was telling me he is cognizant of the same. That the dealership's culture allowed for his leaving even with a "will buy now if the right truck is on hand customer" standing there was awesome.

But skippy doodah smoking and joking with the boys in the corner - that's the character/culture card flipped the other direction......
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I was looking at a 30 ft. Class A gaser and asked the salesman to help me open the hood.
He laughed and said " The engine is in the back ".

We left.
Nothing more annoying than salespeople trying to sell a product they know nothing about and then coming off like you're the dumb one.
Had that happen in a Ford dealership while looking for a new toad. Ended up with a CRV.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When we were looking at upgrading to our current coach we went to lots of RV dealers and usually tried to just say we were looking and didn't need a salesman. That gave us plenty of time to look at the rigs.

With this did come some surprises. We were utterly shocked at the interior condition of a rig parked on the Lazy Days lot. I believe the coach was a nice Fleetwood, maybe a Discovery. The coach reeked of smoke, everything thing was dirty. Things were broken etc. We asked a salesman about this and he said that "They" don't do any cleanup on rigs until they are sold. Does this really make sense, who would ever buy a rig in that condition unless it was a give away price & I doubt Lazy Days would mark a coach down to that level.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We were talking to a salesman and told him we had seen a coach at another dealers that we liked and would consider buying from him if he would give us a price.

Before he gave us a price his response was hilarious. Without knowing the name of the other dealer (we did not disclose the name) he told us:

1) The manufacturer was trying to take away the dealership from the other dealer.

2) The other dealer had a terrible rating with the BBB

3) The other dealer was fly by night.

Needless to say the conversation did not go on long with that salesman.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #11

We went to a smaller RV Show once. I was looking at a used Dutch Star that was parked outside. The salesman said "We have thoroughly inspected and cleaned this coach. Nothing was spared. If it even looked broken we replaced it. Isn't she a beauty?" The first lower cabinet door we opened had a mouse trap with a very dead very dehydrated mouse in it. Then we opened the refrigerator and it had something moldy and smelly sitting on a shelf. In the back bedroom under the bed we found a pair of woman's panties.

"Wait wait, I just don't know who this could have happened" he said to our backs as we walked quickly away.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #12

Looking for our first RV, we ended up at a local dealer. We stopped there after making an offer on a new truck capable of pulling a travel trailer. We were with a salesman when we got a call from the truck dealership telling us they had reconsidered our offer and we could have the truck. We gave the rv salesman our contact info because we had to leave to go get the truck we just bought to pull it but wanted more info on the rv we were standing in at the time of the phone call. He never called us. We thought it was odd that we were serious enough buyers to be buying a truck to pull it with and he never even followed up. The dealer we did end up buying from took us for a tour of the facility and the service department ending with introducing us to the owner. We bought from him that day.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #13

Walking a lot in Monroe LA looking at small tts. Opened one and went in. Sleeping bag on bed, food wrappers and go-boxes on the floor, personal items like razor and soap in bathroom, human waste stacked up in toilet. The place stunk terrible. Apparently someone was living in this brand new unit. It was outside the main fence in a row with many other new ones.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
vod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When we were looking at upgrading to our current coach we went to lots of RV dealers and usually tried to just say we were looking and didn't need a salesman. That gave us plenty of time to look at the rigs.

With this did come some surprises. We were utterly shocked at the interior condition of a rig parked on the Lazy Days lot. I believe the coach was a nice Fleetwood, maybe a Discovery. The coach reeked of smoke, everything thing was dirty. Things were broken etc. We asked a salesman about this and he said that "They" don't do any cleanup on rigs until they are sold. Does this really make sense, who would ever buy a rig in that condition unless it was a give away price & I doubt Lazy Days would mark a coach down to that level.
We had this same experience at a camping world location. Brand new class A with obvious damage on the interior. Salesperson said they will only fix it prior to delivery so they are not wasting money on an unsold unit. I asked if this was delivered like this from the factory isn't it a warranty issue and paid for by the manufacturer? He informed me warranty issues are only paid after a unit has been sold, that no manufacturer will authorize a warranty repair to a dealer owned unit.