RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

What's This World Coming To?

I was at my surgeon's office today getting my stitches removed from my hand and receiving directions on how to recover best from the surgery. As she was pulling the stitches out I was reading the signs on the walls trying to look anywhere but my hand!

I saw one sign that indicated "Do Not Touch This Computer" and I commented "that sign makes me want to just reach out and touch the computer as I leave here". She said "Oh, you wouldn't believe the number of people who will try and get the internet up and surf sites that will make a sailor blush!" Then she added "When we locked the computer, we had patients walk out into the nursing station and ask for the password!". She also said ". We had adults spill drinks on the keyboard and even worse things".

I must be the odd man out, because I would never touch anyone's computer without their permission. What makes people do this kind of invasion of privacy?

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

They feel that they are paying so they are Entitled to do as they please!

A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
What makes people do this kind of invasion of privacy?

Doesn't surprise me a bit as the manners of more and more people is deplorable. Very much a "me" mindset now-a-days.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #4

Back when I earned an honest living I was responsible for microcomputer support for most of central Arkansas for a bank. I can't imagine letting a customer sit down to one of the bank's computers. They'd have access to information that federal bank laws forbid them having.

Our associates were trained to lock that computer when they left their desks. I'll admit that they often didn't, but if it sat idle for two minutes it locked itself.

I'd think a medical computer would be no different.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

After being left alone in exam room one gets 'curious'........

Just kidding!

I have a good relationship with my surgeon and he has a great sense of humor.
When he knocks on exam door before entering I always tell him "Just a minute" then act like I am just sitting down---then explain that I was rummaging thru the cabinets.

His response...."That is why you are in the closet vs a real exam room!"

Folks have very little respect for one and another or things that are NOT theirs
I have seen folks do things that I would NEVER even think about doing
Amazed----NO
Sadden ,,,,,,YES!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #6

The answer is in your own post. A sign telling you not to do something made you want to do it!

“Coming to”, hah! Already there. Have been for 10,000+ years.
RiverBurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #7

Well, a little more information. The computers in the surgeons exam room were there so they could show videos of procedures that would be done.

Old-Biscuit, that made me smile and that is a lot like me! When my straight laced surgeon came into the hospital room the day of the operation, she asked me if I had any last minute questions. I said yes, "Did you at least Google this procedure before you came in here?". Without batting a eye she said "why yes I did, and I even stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night". Then she added "say goodnight Gracie" and that was the last thing I remember till I woke up later.

I know it looks like a lot of people are disrespectful. But I think we just look at and remember the bad people. I felt honored to be involved for many years in the scouting programs (both boy and girl scouts), church youth groups, 4H, FFA , science fair events, giving talks at schools trying to impress on the younger generation the importance of math and science in their studies. I came away with the knowledge that this world's future is in good hands with many many of our youth. Even when the parents were people I wanted to strangle, the kids seemed to be OK....at least for a while. I can remember my grandfather saying in his heavy Central European accent "tis tis, whata is this young generation coming to? Look at all that long hair. Disgusting! They will never amount to anything good". He was looking at me!

But when I see adult activities that are disgusting, I am still shocked, and saddened. What saddens me even more is the kids are watching them act that way, and after a while they think it is normal.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i dont mess with the computers, but if i am waiting long, i tend to re-arrange the cabinets.
or turn the gloves in the boxes around so the opening is agaisnt the wall in the holder.
just little things to see if they are aware

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:04 AM   #9
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
i dont mess with the computers, but if i am waiting long, i tend to re-arrange the cabinets.
or turn the gloves in the boxes around so the opening is agaisnt the wall in the holder.
just little things to see if they are aware
That will teach them not to leave you waiting in the exam room. They'll just make you wait out front where you can be watched.

Seriously, though, predictions that the world is a worse place due to the next generation not being ??? have been recorded since the time of Socrates. Somehow the younger ones seem to manage without us old fogeys.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
That will teach them not to leave you waiting in the exam room. They'll just make you wait out front where you can be watched.

Seriously, though, predictions that the world is a worse place due to the next generation not being ??? have been recorded since the time of Socrates. Somehow the younger ones seem to manage without us old fogeys.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #11

Yes, but when colleges are having to teach courses on basic home life skills like doing laundry one has to wonder about the current crop
Old 02-20-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Yes, but when colleges are having to teach courses on basic home life skills like doing laundry one has to wonder about the current crop
I didn't know colleges did that! But then, might have been useful when I married my wife 45 years ago. I knew more about cooking and laundry than my bride did! But she was a fast learner and she can make a fantastic meal out of almost nothing.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I didn't know colleges did that! But then, might have been useful when I married my wife 45 years ago. I knew more about cooking and laundry than my bride did! But she was a fast learner and she can make a fantastic meal out of almost nothing.
Hey Bigd9,
What was the surgery, Carpel tunnel? If so, been there done that. Should have done it waaaaaaaaay before I did. I was on a trip with the stitches matured. I yanked them myself, poured some Alcohol on them and, that was that.

Yep, what she stated to you about people in general, is oddly, pretty much of today's world. I've stated my feelings about the THREE "Cs" many times on this forum. Common Sense, Common Courtesy and Common Decency are very, very much lacking in today's world.

It stems from up-bringing to start with. Yesteryears parents are dinosaurs in the eyes of today's. Rearing a child in the "Leave it to Beaver" era would be like, according to today's young and inexperienced parents, like watching a movie about Nazi Germany. Hope I said that right. Anyway, since many, many of this era's people, Gen X, Y and whatever else one want's to label them, are so non-caring, what she told you is the NORM, not the exception.

People that say "please", Yes Mam, Sir, oh and USE THEIR TURN SIGNALS, are sincerely RARE. Anyway, hope whatever surgery you had heals well.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:27 AM   #14

Well Scott, a construction accident in a rock quarry long ago (Cat 777 backed over my van crushing it with me in it), old age and arthritis are taking their toll. Arthritic bone spurs keep locking joints (neck, lower back, knee and now fingers) that were damaged in the accident. I asked my doctor "what joint is next?" and she said " it will probably will be a race." I questioned "a race?" and she continued "yes, a race between a old age death and the next joint!" Gotta love her humor!