Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I should attend one of the seminars from insurance companies that advertise; get money back, 0 copay, dental and eyecare, but I find it hard to read between the lines sometimes

What happens if you sign up for one of these companies and they quit next year or go up on premiums

I have been retired for 10 years, but have never been bombarded as much as I have this year with insurance companies wanting me to change my medicare or increase coverage.

Something doesn't sound right.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Most Companies that sell the Medicare Supplements are hedging their bets. The current direction of Health Care is more Government Plan coverage in the form of Medicare (going down to age 55), Medicaid (increasing the poverty threshold to include more people) and the potential for a soon to be (not likely) or distant New Government Option. The hedge is to get into the growing segment (government based or managed) and lessen their participation in the shrinking market segment (Private Insurance).

The just announced but sketchily detailed concession plan to gain passage of any Health Care Bill in the near future will add approximately 60 million people to Government Plans. When you take out that many people (50 million that will now go on Medicare alone) and reduce the coverage (take $500 Billion out of Medicare) the premiums that Private Insurers will have to charge will be cost prohibitive which will force the ruling parties desired Single Payer Option (the government).

This current plan is not what the drafters want us to think it is. In reality it is an in-direct route to Socialized Medicine. Socialized Medicine has proved to be no less expensive when compared to Private Insurance, it just takes a different form when combining the percentages of taxes verses premiums. Since premiums are a larger portion of the lower and middle income families total cost and taxes are the larger portion of the upper incomes costs, it achieves the ruling parties desired affect. It forces the haves to pay for the have-nots and allow the decreased quality and level of sevice to make the whole plan afforable. We will all just have to learn how to live with disappointment, what could be more fair?

That being said, the government will offer basic coverage for all. The haves will buy supplemental policies to the government plans, similar to what many now do for Medicare. They will go to the front of the Health Care line and get better service. The have-nots will have to make do with the basics and go to the end of the line. The Private Insurers know the party is over, one way or the other, and want a major presence when the final shoe drops. That's why you are now getting inundated!

This is not political in any nature, I personally will greatly benefit under the proposed new plan (to the tune of approximately $10,000.00/year), even though I am against it. It's just the facts Mame, just the facts!

Jim Stewart, Quasi Health Care Expert!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #17

Jim (healthcare expert), it is my understanding that the new Medicare folks from 55 to 65 will be paying premiums (breakeven) for their Medicare. Is this correct? I know over the 40 years, my wife and I paid 3% of our income into it and if you do the fuzzy math, that would yield (including interest) about $230,000 which would buy an annunity that would fund a great, great healthcare policy.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
As I stated above, the plan is sketchy at best and for good reason. When details have been provided in the past they become fodder for opposing parties. It is my understanding that if the age is decreased to 55 for Medicare, those 55-64 years of age would pay the full premium, not just the premium paid by those 65 and older.

It is also my understanding the the total current premium is approximately $386/month plus the current $94 that people 65 or older currently pay. That would leave a total of $480.00/month plus whichever supplement the new Medicare Members would choose, lets say an average of $200/month or again a combined total for coverage of $680/month/person. My wife and I currently pay $1,900/month for our Private Insurance.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #19

We had to pay $1946/month for guaranteed issue for 3 years after retirement and before Medicare. We are both cancer survivors, so it was about double for our state (Fl) for regular folks. Those figures for early Medicare would have looked good to me. The whole idea of preexisting conditions seems perfectly normal to me. If you get a DUI you pay more for auto insurance. With the no extra charges for preexisting conditions, then everybody else pays for them. I also seen means testing in the future. This would mean strangely that people who paid more in would get less back because they achieved and saved more.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is just a sample of the mail I have been receiving, and this looks too good to be true

Like I said before sometimes it's hard to read between the lines

Ron
Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
CD

Ron & Dee
The plan you are looking at may true but you need to know what you will get and what you won't get. They say no copays etc which may be true but only in a more expencive plan. I belong to Group Health Co-op. and they have plan for $17 mo. Their copays are $30 for office visits plus higher copays for other things. The plan I have had will be $116 (this past year it was $168. The copays are lower and better coverage. You will also probably have to go to network Drs. so you will want to know who & where they are. Are you covered other places you go?

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #22
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Let's get away from the political content/posts as it's not permitted by the rules.

Thanks!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Let's get away from the political content/posts as it's not permitted by the rules.

Thanks!
Then perhaps the thread should be deleted or moved, because it IS an important and politically based issue and discussion, any way you cut it...

Attempting otherwise is like trying to discuss Government - without bringing Politics into the thread...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
This is just a sample of the mail I have been receiving, and this looks too good to be true

Like I said before sometimes it's hard to read between the lines

Ron
This is PART C, a medical Advantage plan. See page 43 in your 2010 Medicare & You book.

If you opt for a Part C Advantage plan, Medicare pays a private insurance company to insure you. You select the company and benefits according to your location. See the tables in the back of your 2010 Medicare & You book.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Tom,

I've been looking through that booklet and trying to make some sense of it, especially the insurance comparisons.

I know time is running out and I probably should call or attend one of the seminars to see exactly what they are talking about.

Ron
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got a feeling that we going to pay a lot more for Medicare and get less. I keep hearing in the news that Senator Harry Reid knows what in the new health care bill and he not letting it out.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone changed their coverage?

I should probably start another thread on changes to insurance coverage but really don't know how it should be worded

So far I have seen some good replies from everyone and appreciate the information.

I would still like to know if anyone has changed their coverage to the ones I have been bombarded with that state; recieve $96 dollars back every month, no co-pay for primary care Physicians visits, Dental, Vision and Hearing, Health Club, up to $35 a month for Personal Healthcar Items, Prescription benifits with $0 co-pay for generics.

I'm still on the fence about these Insurance Policies and time is running out for me to make my decision

Thanks for the help,

Ron
Old 12-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #28

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have made several post on this and still not sure what to do. My Medicare supplement is going from $177 to $199 a month. Most Dr visits the bill is around $130 Medicare pays almost a $100 my supplemental insurance pays a little over $15 and I pay a little over $15. The $199 will come out of my bank account Jan. 15. I am not sure what the new Medicare plan is going to be. I have a friend that had surgery and he has the same supplement plan as I have and they paid $1,000 for his surgery. Not sure it worth keeping.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote