Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's up with Medicare?

I know every year at this time I start receiving mail from insurance companies about changing my Medicare Plan, but this year I have been bombarded with an unusual amount of mail and invitations to attend seminars about changing my Medicare Plan.

As of now I haven't answered any invitations, but I'm very curious as to why I have been getting so many correspondence about changing my plan.

Ron

Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
I know every year at this time I start receiving mail from insurance companies about changing my Medicare Plan, but this year I have been bombarded with an unusual amount of mail and invitations to attend seminars about changing my Medicare Plan.

As of now I haven't answered any invitations, but I'm very curious as to why I have been getting so many correspondence about changing my plan.

Ron
I don't know why in your case you have been receiving so many, as I have received none (nor do I want any). Being an old marketeer type, my suspicious mind makes me think that maybe the companies are getting their ducks in line for the new Health Care reform, whatever that may turn out to be in the future.

golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

There is money to be made , not by us though. It's gonna be difficult to keep this thread from going sour quickly. Hopefully everyone will address your specific question to avoid getting political.
There is a lot of difference in all these plans. There are a few plans that match my situation, but would be horribly wrong for yours, and visa-versa. We chose to remain with original basic Medicare, and stay away from private plans.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There is money to be made , not by us though. It's gonna be difficult to keep this thread from going sour quickly. Hopefully everyone will address your specific question to avoid getting political.
There is a lot of difference in all these plans. There are a few plans that match my situation, but would be horribly wrong for yours, and visa-versa. We chose to remain with original basic Medicare, and stay away from private plans.
We also stay with the original and that may also be a reason why we haven't gotten any other info from other companies. Additionally, since I'm retired military, our drug plan is the same Iwe've had for many years and is the best I've ever seen other than using the VA for free meds. Not only that, but my civilian company had a medical annuity for me to cover any out of pocket medical/dental expenses. Life is good! Believe me, I realize how lucky I am when I hear horror stories from others about their Medicare (and private medical insurance) problems.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't want to start a firestorm but was just curious. Maybe it's because I live in a state with a lot of retired people

I only have the regular Medicare, part A & B. All of my suplements, drugs, hospitalization and etc. are from the company I retired from. The only things I don't have is dental and eye care. I can purchase those from other insurance companies but they can be quite expensive

Needless to say, I have become very confused at all of the offers that I have received.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #6

AARP is losing a lot of members due to the support of the new healthcare bill even though they are cutting about ˝ a trillion dollars from it. AARP is the largest provider (Through United Healthcare) and get a cut on each policy. The much loved Advantage Programs used by about 12,000,000 seniors is going to be outlawed and these folks will have to get “gap” insurance which is what AARP sells. I think this has opened up the floodgates of marketing we are experience during the open period Nov 15 thru Dec 31. I get stuff nearly everyday. Our trash can is on the way back from the mail box, so it isn’t a problem. Depending on what passes congress, I think we are all in for some big changes and some big surprises. I hope this helps. Good Luck
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #7

What your getting is advertisements for policies during open season Nov thru Dec 31. Every year this happens. If your satisfied with your plan, just toss the things out. Oh with ID theft so present, it would be a good idea before tossing to remove your address label off of the material. Some jerk could fill in the blanks and send it to the advertiser and you would be asked to pay some stupid thing you never ordered. With the changes coming from Senate this next year could be disaster for millions. Hope they come up with something livable and not a dictatorship .
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
As I was getting close to 65 I was buried with ads for the best plans, well this year it slowed to half dozen.
The companies get your name from companies that keep all that information on you.
I just like to know when do they take you out of the system. Brother pasted 6 years ago when he was 58. This year he would have turn 65, well you got it at least 25 companies sent all types of information.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
My company dropped out supplemental health care plan when you get Medicare. It was suppose to written in stone that we have our benefits after retirement. This December is our second year in legal fight to which our attorneys say everything going good for us, but we have lost our benefits. I purchased a supplemental health care plan to have coverage. The first year it was a little over $160 a month. Last month the premium will be $199 and change. I go to the Dr. every three months and the most they pay is around $15.00 for a Dr. visit. My wife had both knees replaced and they paid around a $1,000 on the bill. I am thinking on dropping it. A year of coverage for me going to be almost $2,400. I got until the end of the month to decide.
Tom
Old 12-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Boy, you've got cheap insurance, I haven't found one that doesn't run almost $400 a month.....
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Boy, you've got cheap insurance, I haven't found one that doesn't run almost $400 a month.....

mutual of omaha sells supplemental plan f for 166.00.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Oh wait, I see why its cheaper, its a supplement, didn't get that through my head... way too young to qualify for Medicare yet, just misread what you originally said
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Medicare WILL go broke in a very few years. Now, congress is considering reducing funding by $500Bn along with dropping the age to 55. Now does that make any sense to anyone?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #14

And we have millions of babby boomers getting ready to retire in a few years.