Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-10-2002, 04:40 AM   #15
Hi; I am Sam and my wife for 47 years is Betty.
I joined the Navy when I was 17 during the Korean war and gave 24 years to my country. Most of my tme was in FBM submarines. After retireing from the Navy I worked as an industral mechanic for 15 years. I was a vol. fireman for 18 years and was assist chief when I retired. I also served on the town concil and as mayor and town judge of the town of Ridgeville, S.C.

Betty took care of our 3 boys untill they were old enough to take care of themself and then she went to work for a while. She work for Exxon, DuPoint, and as a florist. We have been camping for about 25 years. Some of our better trips was The Orgean Trail. We followed it from St Louis to Orgean City when they were celibrating the 150th year. The next one was our Alaska trip in 95. We have camped in every state west of the Miss. except S.D. (don't know how we missed it). We are going to try to get mosy of the New England states this summer. Hope to have them all within the next couple of years.

Happy camping to all.

Sam & Betty Buchanan

97 Dodge 2500 Diesel 3.50 gear
96 Coachmen Royal fiver

2007 3500 SRW 6.7 Auto 3.73 rear end lots power
2005 Coachmen Chaparral 277DS 32'
SamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2002, 04:46 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi All,

I'm Bill and am retired from the NY State Police after 28 years of service.
Wife Peg is disabled due to cancer she is still fighting.
We started camping together after our twins were born 31 years ago as an inexpensive way to travel but I had been camping since I was about 8.
We started with an old Apache popup and moved our way up to our current trailer.
Without the kids at home we manage to travel about 12 to 14 weeks a year.

95 Dodge QC 4.10s Cummins auto
96 Kountry Star 30rl

Tiffin Phaeton 40rh
2016 HD Street Glide
Bill1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:28 AM   #17
Hi everyone. I am Al. I have been married to Mary for just over 21 years. I joined the U.S. Marine Corps when I was 17 (46 now) and "retired" with 20 years in 1994. I became a reserve sheriff's deputy in 1990 (lifelong dream) and when I left the Marines I was lucky enough to be hired full time. I have been a gang officer, undercover drug officer and am currently a patrol supervisor. Mary and I like to fish and camp but don't seem to have much time for it. The highlight for us this year was getting to spend the holidays in Texas with my family. First time since 1978. I love the idea of being a fulltimer so who knows what the future would bring. One of my daily highlights is reading the posts on this site.
USMC 1974-1994

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:31 AM   #18
Sorry, I forgot to mention Mary and I have a son who is in the U.S. Navy. He is currently assigned to a "gator freighter" (LHD) and is somewhere in the Gulf. God Bless our men and women who serve, and God Bless the USA!
USMC 1974-1994

2006 Georgetown 370TS
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:35 AM   #19
Hi! I'm Jan and have worked in hotel sales as Director of Sales/Marketing for approximately 20 years. Hubby, John, is retired Policemen that is now a car salesmen. We have been rving for about 15 years. Started so we could take our "children" - Maltese dogs - and love it so much we now have the house on the market to start fulltiming. We actually started rving after our real children were grown and we were not taking the typical family summer beach vacations. We started with a TT and now have a DP with 2 slides. Can't imagine not rving!!!
keepmotoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:18 AM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
And we're retired full timers. Both of us originally born and raised in Western New York (Rochester area). Tania was a Major Account rep for Pitney Bowes Fax Division and I owned 3 Supermarket Franchises and a Liquor Store before selling them in 1991. From 1991 to 1997, I ran the British Petroleum convenience store division in the state of Delaware.

Daughter Lisa, her husband Dave and 3 grandchildren live in Caledonia and son Dave, his wife Dawn and 3 grandchildren live in Hilton. At age 22, I had the wonderful opportunity to be the youngest elected Town Justice in New York State.

Tania and I retired in 1998 at 44 and 58. We've traveled to all parts of the world but never got to see America except for large cities so we decided that would be our retirement objective and that led us to RVing.

Spent most of '98 doing the research on rigs and trucks to pull them, made our choices and started out on our grand adventure in June of 1999. And has it ever been great! We've met so many great folks along the way! It's hard to visualize going back to brick and mortar.

Tania and Dave George
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Susan and I have been married for 32 years and have one daughter and one Grandson. I am a native Texan and Susan is a native Houstonian.

I have spent all of my working life in the indudtrial refrigeration field and have done service, project engineering and sales engineering. Susan is a selfemployed landscape designer. I am a registered engineer (P.E.) and Susan has a master certification for nursery professionals in Texas.

We started camping in a borrowed tent when our daughter was very small and worked our way up to our current motorhome through a pop up, two trailes and two other motorhomes. Tend to do all of the work on the RV myself as time provides.

We have lived in PA, OK and Toronto and are very glad to be back in the Houston area for quiet a few years now.

We both jump at every chance we get to load the RV and head out of town. You can not spend too much time on the road. Guess we both have some gypsy blood in us from somewhere.

1999 Minnie Winnie DL, 31A w/ Banks Power Pak, Bilstein and iPd--Dinghy, 1995 Probe GT---Travel with a Minature Schnauzer and two small Parrots.---Practicing for our retirement! Have Flamingo, will travel!
Check out the Texas Boomers at http://www.texasboomers.org/
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 06:33 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Gerrie is my darling spouse of 32 years. She is a native Californian. Born and raised in Los Angeles. She has been camping off and on all her life. First with her parents then we went a lot.
Gerrie is a homemaker. That was the deal. When my company moved us from L.A. to Virginia...she became a homemaker. Gerrie is a crafts person. Her current project is a queen size quilt for me. She has made quilts for all of the relatives. My turn. Gerrie also does pastel/oil/watercolors. Very talented my wife.

Chet is from the Pacific Northwest. I have lived all over Oregon and Washington. I am a Instructor Analyst for Xerox corporation. Been doing that for 32 years. We now live in the Shenandoah Valley and are caretakers for two cats. Perhaps admin people is more like it. We have our new Cardinal 5th wheel and love the East coast for camping. We plan to move back out West when we retire, so we need to see ALL the campgrounds in the East before we leave.
Maybe we will even get to Florida one of these days.
Chet and Gerrie

2000 F350SD Diesel Lariat L.E. ,Western Diesel Turbo Brake,Turbo Temp Monitor,Banks Stinger kit,A-pillar 3 gauge set,Line-X bedliner,Taylor Wing,
Cardinal 32ft. 5th wheel and it all weighs 19,220!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:14 AM   #23
I have been camping for around 30 plus years.I still think it is the best way,tents or just sleeping under the stars. However, to get my bride of 40 years to go with me on my bicycle adventures around the country, we got a pick-up and put an Alpenlite slid-in on it. And do we have fun. While I am riding the bike my wife will shop and set up camp at the next site.Since I have had knee replaced, to many PC jumps while in the service, we are doing more in camper and less and less bike riding.
I have 68 days till I retire from a division of Johnson and Johnson,I work in marketing and sales
for diagnostic equipment of breast diseases and other cancers. I have been there 31 years and it is time to do something else. My bride is the rock of the family,she has raised two outstanding children, and we adore our four grandkids. I feel strongly that some of the best and most considerate people we have encountered have been the folks we meet when biking and camping.
Happy camping
I still believe camping under the stars is the best, don't tell my wife

ED in Tn
WRV of Tenn

WRV of Tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:40 AM   #24
I'm Ed, and my long-suffering best friend (who I've also been married to for 35 years) is Yvonne.

I'm retired from the Baltimore Police Dept where I served 25 years + 2 days (but who's counting?) and retired with the rank of Lieutenant. Since retiring, I've done some private security work and was a security manager at BWI Airport for a while before I decided to try something completely different. I'm now working in Marketing Communications for a major insurance company. Yvonne retired from the same insurance company last year and is presently working as a counselor at a weight loss center.

We started camping in the 70's, tenting for a few years until we bought a used popup. We branched out and tried boating for a few years, but came right back to camping and bought a 27' TT which we kept for 4 years until we got our most recent toy. We are hoping to fully retire by the end of this year and go fulltiming. We plan to take a six-month trek through the west and southwest to explore this great country of ours before wandering back to the east coast.

We can often be found at Ft. Wilderness in DisneyWorld (confirmed Mickeyholics !) and any other place there is an amusement park with good roller coasters. Our traveling companions are two dogs, Gizmo and Lucky.

Our four kids are all off on their own, two of them have their own trailers now, and they and our five beautiful grandchildren often join us on our trips!

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab SLT Long Bed, 4x2, Cummins Diesel, A/T, 4.10 rear, Air Lifts
'00 Damon Challenger 33MLB Fifth Wheel

God Bless and Protect the Armed Forces of the U.S. and our Allies.

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:04 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm Bud and my best freind is Ruth who I met when we were both 14 and we have been together ever since, we have been married for 45 yrs. we ahve two grown kids and 4 grand children. We also have two shih-tsus Sugar and Spice that travel all over with us. I went through the ranks in the Navy and went from a Seaman recruit and retired as a 4 striper Captain.During this time I also put in 32 yrs with the telephone Company and retired as a Manager in 1991. During retirement I spent 5 yrs as a mutuel clerk at at race track which I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I hope to meet a lot more of you in the future.

2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel Quad cab
2001 Wilderness GL 27H with Slide

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:22 PM   #26
This is Annette. Bill and I have been married for almost 15 years. We have 3 daughters, ages 13, 10,and 6. I am a physical therapist for our county school system. I work with special education and physically handicapped students. I am lucky enough to have my office based in the same school that my two younger children attend, and I travel from there to serve all the other schools in our county. Bill has his own small engine repair business, with a few employees, and stays busy all year long. He works very close to home - the shop and showroom are right behind our back fence! The kids see me at school and come home to see Dad at home. We feel very blessed that our situation has worked out so well.

We are involved in soccer, basketball, track & field, and band with the kids, and we also are a 4-H family. Bill and I also love collecting depression glass; we even had our own website for a while and a booth at a local antique mall, until our schedules made them both too hard to maintain.

The camping bug just hit us last spring. We love to travel, though our budget hasn't allowed us to travel as much as we would have liked. We have a 19'ski boat and we really enjoy boating, too, so we thought camping and boating would go well together. I have towed the boat behind our Astro van while Bill pulls the 5th wheel. We really enjoyed the lakes and campgrounds we visited last year. We hope to travel even more next year! And yes, the kids love to camp and boat too. I think they do see the value of "family time".

Our exciting news is the upcoming purchase of our new-to-us truck! Bill will be bringing it home tomorrow. It is a 2000 Ford350 LariatLE, diesel 4x4 crew cab dually with leather interior and all the bells and whistles. It is a great truck! We will all enjoy the extra room (our 5'7" 13 year old doesn't like being squished in the rear seat of our current extended cab Dodge Ram 2500), and we definitely can't wait for the better towing performance.

Everyone keep writing - we've enjoyed reading all the posts.

2002 Keystone Cougar 281efs
2002 Keystone Cougar 281efs
2000 F350 LariatLE, PSD, crew cab, 4x4
Rookie 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:56 PM   #27
We are Scott and Sheri Williams. I'm 41 and my wife is 34. Married for 6 years.

I am the Administrator of the local hospital and have been in healthcare for 18 years. My wife in an RN who works with the elderly. Tent camped all my life and so has my wife. Decided to move up to RVing and love it (when we can get away). No kids, but two cats.

Scott and Sheri Williams

2002 Cardinal 29WB, 2001 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax\Alison Short Bed LS with Pull-Rite Superglide hitch.
Scott and Sheri Williams
2002 Cardinal 29WB, 2001 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax\Alison Short Bed LS with Pull-Rite Superglide hitch.
sswilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 02:44 PM   #28
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
We are Sylvia and Richard and are both retired now at 57 and 56 years of age respectively. Sylvia retired from teaching and myself from the retail business. Sylvia taught at the South Daytona Elementary School and retired in 1997 after teaching since 1967 and I retired as the Operations Manager of the Sears store in Daytona Beach, Florida after 33 years.

Upon retirement, we relocated to the beautiful mountains of North Carolina, building a new home here on 37 acres we purchased in the mid 80's.

We first started RVing in 1973 when I used my cousin's Sportscoach Motorhome on a two week vacation. We loved it and got our first rig the following year, a used Coachmen 19' travel trailer towed with our Chevy Impala. We raised three children around RVing taking them on numerous trips throughout the eastern US and midwest on our vacations.

We made our life long dream trip last year by traveling 17,300 miles from here to Alaska and back via the rally in Perry, GA, down to Tampa and then through the southern states to San Diego and northward to Fairbanks. The return leg was through the northern states and into the Midwest.

We love RVing and are planning to leave Sunday on a little trip to Florida via Charleston, SC, Savannah, and Jeckyl Island. Hope to see you on the road some time.

Richard and Sylvia

2002 Hitchhiker Discovery 31 1/2 LKTG; 2002 Ford Powerstroke Diesel F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6 speed Dually. US Gear Exhaust Brake, K&N Air Filter, Tekonsha Prodigy controller. Our Truck Our Fiver

'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote