Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-11-2002, 01:47 AM   #29
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
My wife, Amy, and I have been camping since we were teenagers with our parents. We met about 10+ years ago and married about 6 years ago. I have almost grown girls 15 & 18. Amy was never married before and has no children. I have been in the appliance sales & service business for a little over 20 years. My wife came to work for us a little over 2 years ago when we bought out a Whirlpool dealer. We are getting ready to sell our busness and I will move my trade into the rv industry, (rv technician) so that we can travel and work our way around this great nation. Our oldest will be going to the University of Florida next year and our youngest is now living with her mother in N.C. We like NASCAR racing and go when ever we can but always spend 5 days inside Daytona International Speedway (Reserved area turn 2) each February. We hope to someday be able to meet a lot of you when we are fulltiming it. This group is my favorite on the internet and I have learned a lot from all of you. Thank you for all of your post! I have to go to a meeting now so I will close. Mike

RV Wizard, Mike C. 95 36' Rexhall Aerbus Ford 460 w/ iRV2.com decals 94 Blazer 5spd. manual NASCAR #3 & #8

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2002, 07:07 AM   #30
I'm CK married to Don (Mr. Wonderful) for 20 years in March. It's the second time around for both and together we have five kids - two for me and three for him - that gave us 10 grandkids. A mutual friend put us together and we decided to get married on our first date! We were both campers when we met and things just got better from there.

We both retired early from fast-paced jobs in aerospace in Southern California. Moved to a tiny town and have enjoyed every minute of our retirement. We have been known to get up in the morning and decide to just hitch up and go, so we do!
Certainly keeps the kids guessing.

I went from a backpack and on foot to Smuggler and dirt bike to Class C to Class A to TT. He went from tent to Smuggler to... well you can figure out the rest. He still rides but I gave my motorcycle to my oldest granddaughter a couple of years ago.

When not camping I spend time working with our hospital auxiliary (one of those Pink Ladies) raising money for our little hospital. Mr. Wonderful builds furniture as well as cook gormet meals. We bowl, garden and stay in touch with family and friends. We laugh and hug each other every day.

We have one more "kid" - Sally! She's seven years old, Akita/Chow mix, gentle, loving, well mannered, verrrrry waggy tail, good travel companion. She's the reason for my screen name...

Sallys Mom

Sallys Mom
Now travelin' with Rags!
2010 Jayco Travel Trailer
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 09:11 AM   #31
Deb and I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, called Eden Prairie. I grew up in Oxnard, CA but moved to Minneapolis 26+ years ago, as an engineer for career advancement.I own a small manufacturers rep company selling hi-tech raw material to the electronics industry. (like selling flour to a baker). My wife Deb grew up in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and is a graphic arts guru...Deb is graphics manager at the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

We have three children, of which one is left at home, a 17 year old girl.

For years we had traveled around the back woods of Wisconsin, Minnesota, IL and Iowa with map and mini-van. We hated staying in mom and pop motels with questionable bed coverings and wierd stuff on the floor. So a couple years ago we bought our 28ft Barth and boy have we had fun. When Libby goes off to college, we are "outta here".

I love this website and appreciate all of the help I have received.

[This message was edited by Dave Bowers on January 12, 2002 at 11:10 PM.]

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:52 PM   #32
Dave and I have been married for 36 years. We are both 57. I retired in 1999 after a very long career as a lending officer for a nationwide bank. Dave retired in 2000 from a worldwide engineering company. Since retiring we have often wondered when we had "time to work". We have one son, and wish that he would find the right young woman and provide us with several grandbabies to dote on. We bought our first motorhome in March, 200l and have really enjoyed traveling in it. We took several short (3-4 days) trips, three two week trips, and two six week trips in 200l. We got back today from our first 2002 trip (3 days in a near-by state park), and hope that we will be traveling a lot this year.
Happy travels.

Dave and Mary
2001 38' Newmar Dutch Star Diesel Pusher
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Dave and Mary

2001 38' Newmar Dutch Star DP
dapmfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 06:00 PM   #33
We are Mike and Rose and are from the great state of Nebraska. Mike is in the trucking industry and I am a billing rep for UNMC.
We will be married 25 years this summer and have three great kids. Our oldest is 19 and attending her first year in college. Our son is almost 17 and is a junior in high school and our younget is in the third grade (whoops).
I have been camping most of my life but Mike went on his first camping trip last summer at the age of forty three. I had to drag him home. I can see full-timing in the distant future for us! It was love at first "site" you might say
For now we are restoring and enjoying our 1972 Dodge Diamond Class C.

Rick, Rose, Alyssa and our JRT's, Sadie & Babe
Two years until the last little bird leaves the nest!
1997 Jayco 3530 RKS | 1997 Ford F-350 Dully Diesel
RVinMeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 08:54 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Lets see, I camped as a kid with my folks (Mom, Dad and a sister) all over the place in a slide in truck camper. Cathy (My wife) camped with her family as well in a tent. I camped in tents as well in the "Boy Scouts" while growing up as well. In fact I made "Eagle" in 1975.

Well when Cathy and I got married (Aug. 16, 1980) I had a "Slide in" that we went on our honeymoon with. We used the slide in for many years. Then when the kids came along we did not camp for a while. We got a draw type travel trailer when we did start back camping with our three daughters. We then moved up to our current fiver.

Now as far as occupation, whew ya had better pull up a chair...... I grew up outside of Baton Rouge (In the country) in a community named "Central". I went to collage at "LA Tech" in Ruston, LA where my major was "Electrical Engineering Technology" (Electronics). After that I went to work in the electrical utility industry. I have been with the same company for 24 years now. I am an operator in a power plant that is a "Co-generation" facility. We sell electricity and steam. Right now I run a "Gas Turbine" with "Heat recovery boiler".

Now all this time I have worked shift work. With time off I get with us on 12 hour shifts I have almost always worked another job. When Cathy and I met I was racing cars through the "Sports Car Club of America". I was campaigning a "F-Production" MG Midget in the road racing series. We used the "Slide in" and the truck at these events. I got involved with the SAAB team of North America as a "Mechanic" on their "Pro-Rally Team". I was SUPPOSED to just help them at a 24hr. endurance event. It wound up as me being a member of the National Rally team for four or five years. With this team I traveled to all but five of the continuous forty-eight states and Canada.

After this team disbanded I went to fooling with "Drag racing" boats and running the "Speed Trials" for a few years. And to pay for it I opened an ATV repair business to earn my play money. But when the second daughter came along in 1988 money for my racing got tight! So in 1990 I sold the boat I was racing with. I spent a lot more time with my "Ham Radio" hobby then. Well in 1995 I wound up getting involved with the "East Baton Rouge Sheriffs Office". I went through the academy and became a Reserve Sheriffs Deputy assigned to the "Flotilla" or water patrol. Now I still do the water patrol but also do "Uniform Patrol" as well and am a "Firearms Instructor". I shoot at pistol matches occasionally representing the S.O., but not often. If the money was better I would gladly go "Full-Time" with the Sheriffs Office. I average between 400 and 700 hours a year with the Sheriffs Office. I plan to stay with the Sheriffs Office until I retire from the plant. After that... Retire from BOTH and hit the road! FULLTIME IT!!

Now Cathy has been mostly a housewife with working at various day care facilities from time to time as part time help. She was a "City Girl" that got tied up with a "Country Boy" so to speak. We got married in August of the year she graduated from high school. But she has always supported me or been the cheering section for all of my endeavors. We have been together now for twenty-one years, and counting. How lucky can a guy get?????

Darn my fingers are tired from all that!!!! I told yall you would have to pull up a chair!

Don Fauntleroy (W5IT) 32ft. Kountry Star Fiver Towed by a 99 F-350 PSD w/ a Western Hauler bed.
Our rig
Don Fauntleroy (W5IT) 99 F-350 Cab and Chassis with a Herrin Hauler bed now towing a 2006 3612 DS Raptor Toyhauler. 2002 and 2006 National Rally Wagonmaster.
"Words of Wisdom"
Don (W5IT) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 02:15 AM   #35
We met in the summer of 1991 and began traveling. At first, we started out camping in a tent. In April of 1995 we bought a 25' Dutchman fifthwheel. In the fall of 2000, we bought a 31' King of the Road Royalite fifth wheel. We have had many wonderful vacations. Carol just retired, our house closes on Jan 15, 2002 and we will be on the road as full timers. We have been posting to IRV2 since its beginning and enjoyed all of our friends here.

Jeff was born in Nebraska. His school years were in Nebraska and Oklahoma. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma. He moved to Texas in 1962. He has a married daughter and two grandsons. Jeff retired in 1994 and waited for Carol to do the same.

Carol was born in Illinois. In 1978, her family moved to Texas. Her daughter and son are grown and married. She has three grandchildren. She just retired and gave her business, Carol's Plant Care, to her daughter. We are full timers at last.

Counting down to full-timing year 2002
Carol & Jeff
1999 F350 SRW SC PSD
Western Diesel Turbobrake
2000 King of the Road Royalite 31RL

Please stop by and sign our guest book
full-timing since year 2002

Carol & Jeff
cdjp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 06:39 AM   #36
We are Ken and Sherlyn. Married 24 1/2 years. No children. I am retired USAF since 1974. Started an Accounting Practice at that time and a few years later started writing and selling Computer Software to Accountants. Am now only doing both part time as it would cut into my travels.
We started camping in 1977 with a Popup. That only lasted a short time due to wife not liking the Popup. Went to a Class C Motorhome for a few years and then to a 1989 Alpenlite 5th wheel we kept for 11 years. See below for our Sunnybrook description. Our Dog Pepe went with us for over 18 years until we lost him last March. We are hooked on the life style plus you meet great people.

96 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4/2 3.54 Regular Cab Long Bed 16,000 GVWR 10,500 tow rating
2001 31BWFS SunnyBrook 5th wheel with extended pin, no bedroom slide.

1997 Winnebago Adventurer 32 ft Ford 460
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 02:33 PM   #37
Click here to visit our website

Dodge 2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT, HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD, trailer folding mirrors. Jordan Utlima Brake Controller, Jacobs Exhaust Brake, Mag-Hytec.

Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel. RV Solar Electric System RV and Tow Vehicle Weights
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
2011 Honda Fit Toad
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 03:49 PM   #38
My wife, Sima, and I purchased our first and only motorhome in August of '99. It's a Class A Infinity (Four Winds). We camp one or two weekends per month somewhere within about 2 hours of our Gainesville home.

I've been accused of starting this whole iRV2.com 'boomer' thing by posting a message a while back requesting other baby boomers in North Central Florida to respond and camp together. Well, I got replies and soon we were having a rally. Then some of you in other states chimed in.

I'm a Registered Representative with a NASD member firm (investments)- since '94 and a Florida licensed insurance agent since 1975. So I guess I'm a financial planner, advisor, etc. Visit my website listed below for more info.

Sima went back to banking just to save us $400 per month on medical insurance. That pays for a lot of camping! Group insurance rates for the self-employed have gotten way out of hand in FL. We're in our mid-fifties so that doesn't help either.

We're active in a local chapter of Good Sams and members of FMCA as well.

Our goal is to scale back over the next few years, sell our home, buy a comfortable diesel pusher and spend many months on the road. I can operate my practive via wireless phone, internet and email plus return to home base every few months for client meetings.

We hope to meet many of you sometime. If your travels take you through Gainesville, Florida (2 hours north of Disney)on I-75, US 441 or 301 give us a call. You can even dry camp at our place overnight if you'd like.

Gainesville, FL - '97 Infinity, Class A, 36'. . . fulltime financial advisor, Weekend RV Florida Boomer. Sima (riding shotgun)plus two rude, crude mutts! Visit my professional website at: www.yourfinancialplanneronline.com

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:58 PM   #39
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
My title here is kablewizard, thats cable wizard. I have worked for cox communications here in the phoenix area for 15 yrs now, I went from a rookie installer to service tech, maintenance tech on the cable now I do telephone install and repair. my wife is in the AZ Air guard as a military pay tech, I was medically retired from the military so we still have use of their campgrounds, Our kids are grown and we have a 5 yr old granddaughter who spends her camping time with us, we spend over 2 months a yr camping with vacation and weekends our favorite time is spending the 4 th of July in San Diego at sea world and watching the fireworks.

Jim and Cheri
Mesa, AZ
99 Coleman Bayside

I changed the spelling too lately
Jim (SSG US Army Ret.) and Cheri (TSG Phx ANG Ret.) Mesa, AZ
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Mega Cab Diesel | 2005 Honda Goldwing | 2006 35' Dune Chaser 5th Wheel
Kablewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #40
Nor'easters Club
Great idea DJ..oh about Hershey's lack of a job..I need a really good high res pic of a chocolate lab for someone looking for a cute lab clock. I'll pay Hershey $1.00 if he sends me a self portrait LOL!

Gil and I are somewhat both retired right now. I have a Desk Top Pub biz from my computer, with some computer crafts I sell on eBay. Gil does all the putting together of the clocks and packing for shipping. He tells me I'm a harder task master (in English..fewer breaks) than General Electric was. He retired at the ripe old age of 53 a year ago November. GE offered a great buy out..and he took it! We have not regretted it at all. Less money, but lots more fun and time.
I have worked as an Animal Health Lab Tech, and in private vet practice most of my adult life, retiring when our lab was moved to the other side of the state, and they retrained me (your tax dollars at work for you New Yorkers, I worked for the State of NY)on the computer, and helped me set up my business. We divide our DTP between doing items like menus, flyers, political buttons, etc, and personalized clocks which we sell on eBay, and at craft fairs and in campgrounds. We also take pics of people and their RV's at campgrounds and put them on business cards. It's been a great sideline..most of us can remember our new friends from their rigs..this way we can put a face with the rig!

We started camping in a pup tent on our honeymoon..well, we almost did. We parked our motorcycle in front of a police station to site-see, and someone stole all our stuff. Then we (Gil) passed a policeman after the dotted line had stopped at the Laconia Motorcycle races, and he took most of the rest of our money (from our pocket to his..or he said he would confiscate our 1948 Harley), so we got invited to stay with the Hell's Angels..all we had left was $10 and one sleeping bag (this was in 1967..$10 fed us all weekend).
We replaced the tent with a bigger tent, then a 14' trailer, then a 17', then a 22" and now the 30'. I promised Gil I would stop looking..but I sure like the Holiday Presidential with the back bay window!
We are the proud grandparents of three wonderful grands..and three grown up children. We take all the grands camping, and one of our children camps regularly, so we have passed it on.

Hope to meet some of you in person at the summer convention!

'00 Holiday Rambler Alumalite FKS '00 Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton, ext cab
Chevy Silverado/Holiday Rambler
Doris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:51 PM   #41
I'm Carol and hubby is Ed...we're 47 and 54 respectively, tho Ed gets to order the senior meal at Denny's next month! I'm a 3rd generation native Californian, born and raised in Santa Monica/Venice,CA and Ed is a native Louisianian, born on the campus of LA Tech in Ruston,when his dad was an electrical engineering student there after WWII.
We've been married almost 24 years, and have a son and daughter...son is in the Air Force as a crew chief for an F16, daughter is still at home, and in comm. college. Ed also has 2 older sons, so at times we have 4 kids. No grandkids yet, just a big lovable black lab named Molly.
Ed's a sergeant with LAPD...just celebrated 30 years with the department. Also retired with 30 years in the Coast Guard as a commander. We were looking to retire this spring, but police departments are begging people to stay and offering nice benefits for doing so..so its a couple more years off. (darn)
I've been a stay-at-home mom for 21 years...and now I'm a volunteer docent for a local historical museum. We live in a small town about halfway between L.A. and Santa Barbara.
We love camping...we both camped as kids in tents, tent trailers,and travel trailers. Our first RV trip together was as newlyweds in a slide-in camper in British Columbia. We then borrowed my in-law's 5th wheel several times, then purchased a 32 ft. Bounder MH. Our kids have been to more than 1/2 of the 50 states,dragging them around to all the wonderful historical sites, and lots of cemeteries too (I'm a genealogy nut). Now that the kids are older/gone, we got ourselves a new 5th wheel a few weeks ago,and a new truck,and plan to hit the road alot more often! (no more school schedules to follow...yay!) We just came home from our "shakedown cruise" in our new fiver, this afternoon. We hope to travel lots in this unit, and then even more once Ed retires...

Carol and Ed
2002 Carriage LS 32 Ft with 3 slides
2002 Ford 350PSD Lariat,CC,DRW
2003 Damon Intruder 38'
Carol in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:51 AM   #42
Well, I'm Dave and have a wife Donna and three daughters, Sarah 19, Ashleigh 14 and Erin 13. We also have and travel with two dogs. Dante, a 175 pound Black male Great Dane, 4 years old. He feels he must be the center of attention at all times, and usually is. Spice is a 11 year old Chocolatte Lab. She usully keeps Dante in his place.

My wife Donna retired from the US Navy in October 1998 as and electronics technicion. She now workes for a Medical equipment and chemical sales company.

I retired From the US Navy as a Chief Electrician in Aug 2001. I landed a job with Denso Manufacturing in September 2001. I am the second shift Production Equipment Maintenance Team Leader. We are the fouth largest suppler of Auto parts in the world. I tought electricity and industrial maintenance for the last four years I was in the Navy at Florida Community College of Jacksonville.

I have been camping with my parents since I was 5 back in 1968. I have had my own camper since 84. We spend 4 weeks a year in the RV plus as many week ends as possible.

We are in the process of moving from Jacksonville FL to Athens TN. I'm currently in TN and the wife and kids are in the house in Jacksonville. Any one want a house in Jacksonville? Hopefully the house will sell soon and they will be able to move up here with me.

I love East TN.

Dave, 98 Holiday Rambler Alumalite TT 32FT Front Kitchen two slide out rooms. Pulled by 2001 Chevy Crew Cab Dually, Duramax, Allison , 3.73 gear, LT trim. FLORIDA BOOMER USN, RETIRED EMC

[This message was edited by Dave on January 13, 2002 at 10:59 AM.]

Dave, 98 Holiday Rambler Alumalite TT 32FT Front Kitchen two slide out rooms. Pulled by 2006 GMC Crew Cab Dually 4x4, Duramax, Allison , 3.73 gear, SLT trim .
[b][i]100th ANNIVERSARY FLSTFI Black with air brushed real fire blue flames, #180
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote