Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-16-2002, 04:23 PM   #57
Mark here. I just turned 40, something Barb (34) is taking great pleasure in. Barb is a homemaker (warden) raising our three boys aged 8, 5, and 2. I am a programmer for an extremely large package delivery company. We are on our second rig. First was a 27' class C but when the third son arrived floor space became a pressing issue. I really enjoy this site and the folks herein. Unfortunately I don't get to visit as often as I'd like. This is a great thread. Next...

'00 HR Alumascape 34 SKT 5er
'00 F350 CC PSD DRW LWB 6SP 4.10LS

Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2002, 04:56 PM   #58
We are Dwight (Digit) and Karen, we're in our mid 30's and live in a little town in central Missouri.

Dwight has been a diesel technology instructor at a state technical college, working primarily with the large trucks, for the past six years. Before teaching, he ran the family farm.

I am an attorney and have been doing environmental finance work for about three years. Before this job I was a lobbyist handling environmental and utility issues.

I grew up spending family vacations in the little family travel trailer and have always loved to road trip. Dwight enjoys road trips, loves meeting new people and loves tinkering with anything mechanical. Our friends think we are nuts, but the motorhome fits our interests perfectly!

98 Winnebago Vectra Grand Tour 35
digit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:57 AM   #59
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I went through the ranks in the Navy and went
from a Seaman recruit and retired as a 4 striper Captain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Many here may not know what that means, but I do. Went into the Navy in 1970 via Pensacola and retired from the reserves in 1994. I started higher, and retired lower (05) than you did. Good for you and GO NAVY!!

2000 Chevy 2500 6L Vortec 4.1 rear 2WD
2001 Forest River Wildcat 27RL
"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"
2000 Chevy 2500 6L Vortec 4.1 rear 2WD

2001 Forest River Wildcat 27RL
Doug Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 06:10 AM   #60
After reading all the other posts, mine may be a little dull. Seems most of you are retired NAVY or MARINES, with a few Wingnuts thrown in. I served with the Army in the 199th Light Inf. Bgde. in 1970. Just a plain ole drafted, enlisted man serving as a Personnel Clerk. I just couldn't find much glamor in staying in the Army though.

I, almost 52, (next month), Wife, Pat almost 51, (in March), both still plugging away at work. I work for the State Department of Information Systems as a Facilities Manager. Been here for 13 years after working in retail and warehouse positions. Pat is a Forklift Operator at on of the Largest Cosmetic Manufacturers. She has worked there for 25 years now. That is where we met. I left after 8 years because of a downsizing, but we stayed together. After 24 years of marriage and raising her 2 kids, we are ready for the fun life! Hopefully, in about 12 years we can go full time. She never camped before we were married, so we bought a tent and Coleman stove and started off. Tented for a long time and purchased a pop-up several years ago. Used that for 2 years and went with a 24 ft. TT 3 years ago. We have hopes of traveling around after retirement and spoiling our 2 granddaughters, ( 2 and 6). We don't get to do much now, mostly weekends. The one bright spot in our travels is going with our Church group each summer for two weeks. We try to find a small Church somewhere and have VBS for kids and nightly meetings. The last few years we have traveled to Arizona and Utah to the Navajo Reservation. Well, I will shut up and let someone else get a shot. It has been very interesting reading about so many diverse people here. Lets keep it going.
Razorback Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:37 AM   #61
Hi everyone! Here is our story. I (Treasa) am 47 and Bill is 58. I am a Southern Calif. girl, born and bred. Bill is from Penn. I work for an international software company teaching companies how to use it. I have been in computers for a long time starting as a data entry clerk, programmer, analyst, manager, etc. I use to tent camp with my family growing up. We also had a slide in and a class B. Bill is one of the original tent campers, having been a Marine for 23 years! He retired and went to work for an large Aerospace company and now runs the computer lab for a local elementary school so he gets summers off!

We started in a tent together and moved to a class A when the local camping/Square Dancing club had openings available. We really love the life style. Since we both work we only weekend camp now and a week or two during the summer. We are planning our longest trip (3 weeks) this summer when we plan on traveling to NC and PA. We hope to one day retire and travel as much as we want.

Bill has two grown daughters and 2 grandchildren. We have 1 son together (who is my only child) who is turning 21 soon. He still lives at home but does work and go to school. This way he is available to take care of the house when we take off.

I love this site and tell all my friends about it. I got my stickers and plan on putting them on our motorhome soon. We are anxiously waiting for our trip the first weekend of Feb to Lake Elsinore. Hope to see people on the road!

Bill & Treasa
Bill & Treasa
TripleE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 08:45 AM   #62
Here we go-

We are Bob-37 and is in the process of job upgrade to concrete sales( former Army guy too) and Nell-36 after just graduating college in May, is a SAHM, parents to three lively girls ages 12 , 9 1/2 and almost 4-
( better known as the ABC Club because of their names). We live in upstate NY.

We started camping as kids ourselves with the scouts. After we started dating we bought a tent so we could "sneak" away for a weekend back in 1985.

We stayed with tents up to 1995 when we bought our first pop-up, a 1972 Pleasure Mate. Then it was to a 1998 Coleman Casa Grande, now we have the 1999 Keystone Sprinter. It was a room issue with 3 kids and one smacking Mom and Dad in the bed when she was sleeping made us move up faster than planned. LOL

I(Mom) still the tent thing with my Junior Girl Scout troop and I still hate roots in my back at 3am!

We mainly camp on weekends in and around the NY area, and for our big vacation every year we go to either Florida or Myrtle Beach. Our kids won't allow us to stay in a hotel, they LOVE camping too much!

We would someday like to take a cross country trip and to maybe full-time it at some point. That's a LONG way off for us.

1999 Keystone Sprinter 265BH
2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4 LT Autoride-6.0 & 4:10
2014 Jayco Flight 22FB

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 03:39 PM   #63
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our turn.... I am a career firefighter on the job for 23 years, and I do computer networking and integration as a second job. Bunny works in major medical center in the city and she's been in the communications business since she started with SNET at age 16. Bunny wraps up her day at a medical answering service for a few days each week. We love camping. I started with a 9x9 tent in my backyard over summer vacation. I made a big resurgence into tenting after Colleen and I got "hitched". We camped frequently in state parks and campgrounds. After the great flood of 1987 at Lake Waramaug State Park in Connecticut we vowed to have shelter the very next time we camped. Enter pop-up #1, a Coleman spring assist, manual opening, pop-up. We never really had it going, so we sold it, as is. Pop-up #2 was a Palomino TXL-XC hard-sided camper, & Dodge mini-van. Kept it for 1 year and traded on a Aljo 2900 travel trailer & Ford 1/2t van. Kept that for about 5 years and picked up a 32.5.F Terry fifth wheel & 3/4t PSD. After 5 great years we moved into the W20 Adventurer and Cavalier. Loving it!

Col and I have been married for 28 years. We have 2 boys, Chris & Tim. Chris is the daddy of our grandchildren Matt & Kate. Matt and Kate are 5 and 4 and may begin traveling with us this season. Early on we chose our current floor plan because it has a garden tub that's the perfect size for our grand kids. We'll see how that goes.

Our cat Belle, may never ever see the inside of another RV unless she gets de-clawed, and on Prozac.

We love RV'ing and we look forward to getting back on the road and seeing "you" in the springtime.

01 Winnebago/Workhorse W20 - Adventurer 37G
01 Cavalier LS
The Nor'easters
"We Will Never Forget"

Fredricksburg, VA
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 04:16 PM   #64
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Here's our story. George (hubby) is an engineer for an international company that grinds rock. I (wifey) work in the library of a small liberal arts college.
For fun, George enoys music and plays the guitar. Great entertainment for around the campfire. In the past few years we have spent some of our camping time at bluegrass and folk music festivals.
We began camping when our two girls, now 20 & 25 were little. I actually used to sleep out in a tent in the backyard as a child. About 7 years ago we bought a popup which we had for a year. Then we moved up to a 29' Mallard travel trailer which we traded a few years ago for a 28' Sportsman trailer. George just bought a new truck so we are starting to look for a fifth wheel.
We love camping. We are always so relaxed when we are camping. We love seeing new places, we love sitting on beaches. I don't think we will ever be fulltimers but I know we will be taking some extended trips and spending much more time in the south during the winters. We have about 10 years before that begins.

Lynnvt & George (DH), Sam the traveling pooch
2014 Primetime Crusader 32' fifth wheel
Lynnvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:15 AM   #65
I am Anne and my husband is Jeff. We are 34 and 39 years old respectively. Jeff (native Houstonian) camped at a young age. I grew up in the Bahamas. No place for a 5ver much less anyplace to pull it to.

Jeff owns a Poultry company in Houston and I am a hard working SAHM to a 21 month old (formerly a Property Manager for an ISP).

We are real new to camping, just started last year. We jumped right into to rving after our first little tryout. Fell in love with it immediately. Looking forward to taking AJ and Andy (little 10lb. mutt) all aroung Texas this year.

Anne & Jeff
1999 Cardinal 32RLT

2006 Chevy HD Crew Cab
BrownSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:12 AM   #66
It is amzing the amount of both "Views" and "Reply's" this post has received. I can't recall one with more views than this one.

It has been interesting. There are people here from all backgrounds, means, and experiences. Similar to a campground isn't it?

Keep 'em coming! For those of you that sit on the sidelines and only read the board, now is the time to sign on and introduce yourself.

99.5 Ford F-250SC 4x4 Powerstroke Diesel
99 Golden Falcon 25 MGT Fifth Wheel.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 11:19 AM   #67
My background is a little different than many. I graduated from Boys Town, NE with 2 diplomas,
one for High School, one for electronics (Trade School). 15 of us from the graduating class
immediately joined the Marines. After training I was assigned to electronics classes with
the Navy and Marine Corps. This enhanced my chances after my hitch was up and IBM hired me.
In those days there was no computer science people so the manufacturers had to train their own.
I spent 32 years doing a lot of things (mostly product development) as the needs of the
business changed.
(The first computer system I worked on took a 4 story building.)

We've lived in a variety of places, CA, NV, NY, KY and AZ.

The wife and I took out our first loan to buy camping gear. Three boys spent a lot of time
from the playpen stage on sleeping in a tent. We graduated to a Montgomery Ward's tent trailer
(Wards put a pallet of parts in my garage and I assembled it. We put a lot of miles on it,
wish I still had it. We bought a 1974 Coleman Brandywine ($1700) new and the dealer threw in
sleeping bags and pillows for the kids. As the last kid left home we felt camping was over and
sold the Coleman.

That was dumb so we started tent camping again, bought a used Coleman, then a Layton travel
trailer, a Class C Mallard, (We had all three at the same time), had a hard time deciding
which to keep. We finally traded for our current Bounder and sold the rest. The wife had a
heart attack in 1990 and she and I retired in 1992. She had been Secretary for Baseball and
Softball at the U of AZ for many years loved her job and it gave us free season tickets to

She has been in the hospital several times and carries two angioplastys. We prefer to boondock
way out but I'm a bit apprehensive about being too far from help if needed. So we need to
adjust our lifestyle some, don't know exactly how yet. Art

1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---
1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---
ArtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 12:10 PM   #68
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
My name is Mike (46) and the lil lady is Cordie. I've had my own shop for 15 years drafting, printing, with a digital planroom for architect/engr/construction and Cordie is a loan officer. I also think she feels she's a mini rancher because of all the pets she has - dogs, birds, frogs, iguana.

My folks were really into camping and and as a young kid I remember camping at Yosemite every summer and winter. I still have that big ol' canvas tent our family used so many times every year that Dad bought in the late '50s. I'll never throw it away. What memories. Dad insisted on roughing it and he and Mom rib me a little bit these days for having bought an RV but I'm pretty sure they love me still.

Cordie, 9 year old son, and I boondock camp in the desert a lot, but also go to the mountains too. I put in a lot of hours at work so I like the quiet solitude of camping (and reading and fishing) sometimes, but Cordie is a talker and within an hour of parking at a campground she usually knows bout everyones name and there will be a dozen people gathered around our campfire arguing football and baseball with her. We ride our motorcycles out in the desert.

This is an excellent site, we have IRV2 stickers on our trailer (I know, I know Mom ) and we're happy members of the SoCal Boomers.

F350 PSD 4x4, Weekend Warrior 22' ToyHauler, hound dogs
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 07:43 AM   #69
I'm "The Husband" and she is "The Noetch" (Portuguese for "Nut").
I a'growed up in Iowa, she in the Azores. Second time around for
both of us, now married for about 12 LONG years. We're early 50's.
I was transplanted to CA via the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club during
the Vietnam fiasco. She came over here about then because she
didn't like camping at home all the time....dirt floors.

I've been an electronics nut since I was about 10 y/o and have
worked here in the Silicone Pit, CA, since the USN, as a technician.
She is an electronics assembler. Being a believer in the American
Dream, I got a shock in October, laid off after 24 years, just a
few months short of any retirement bennies. Buy an RV and get laid
off....swell. Wife Unit is still employed, for now. We can't
quite afford to retire and go RV'ing full time but it sure sounds
like fun when we get to meet those free enough to do it. The
Noetch is a nester and I don't know if I could pry her out of
the house, fulltime, anyway.

As a family, we didn't camp out when I was a kid. I envy y'all
that did get to do that. But, we were in scouts, and all four brothers
are now campers. My first wife didn't think much of tenting and
The Noetch got tired of it after a few times due to wild
critter invasions into the campsite. Freito-ravaging chipmonks!
So, the tents sat idle for a few years and then, outta the blue
last year, she wants an RV. I looked around for a manufacturer
that would back up their products and we bought The Beast in
June, new, having never camped in or driven one of the things. Well,
we don't have critter problems now, just worried about how to
keep up the payments and staying ahead of the fixits. To me, the
best difference between RVing and tenting comes every morning
at 3-4AM when I don't have to crawl out of a warm sleeping bag,
put on cold boots, a cold jacket, and stumble out of the tent
to water a tree.

We've only camped around N. CA so far, usually as part of a group
of her clan with their 5ers. Hopefully, The Beast will get a
chance to pull the boat this summer for some serious camping
adventures....and fishing! It oughta be cute trying to launch
the boat with a 33' MH. I will have her video tape it. Any
RV boat launching tips?

I've learned a *LOT* here on the web about RV adventures and
it has enhanced our limited newby "camping" (I prefer "deployment")
exper's very much. We now make sure that the grand-monsters get
that family camping exper by letting them use all of our tenting
equipment nearby our campsite.

Been to Boys Town a few times, ArtB. Congratulations on a successful
life. Hope your Wife maintains her health well enough so you guys can
continue to RV.

So, anyone need a very exper'd electronics technician here in The Silicone Pit?

Bill, The Wife Unit, and The Beast. All of us are RV newbies.

Mmmmm, we'll see how well this cuts n' pastes...
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:39 AM   #70
I tried emailing you but it was returned.

Bill, as long as you can see the boat in a rear view mirror there's no problem. A boat I had was narrower than my RV and I couldn't see it. I took a 10 ft length of pvc and bungie corded it across the rear of the boat trailer. I put black electrical tape rings on the pvc so you could see black and white rings equally on each side of your rear mirrors. The pvc stored in a channel on the trailer while in transit. Some people have put a hitch on the front of the MH. Art

Good luck in getting employed again. You're in lots of good company.

1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---

1996 Bounder 28T
---P* VXPP58A---
ArtB is offline   Reply With Quote