Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #1

What's your Day Job?

I'm envious of all the full timer travelers that have jobs to mix with the lifestyle. I was just wondering what everyone else does... ?
I'm a specialty bathroom contractor. I do a lot of tile work and all the kitNkabootle that involves bathrooms. Thought id post some photos of recent work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120605_154810.png
Views:	75
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	21943   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120605_154849.png
Views:	70
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	21944  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120605_154927.png
Views:	74
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	21945  

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Nice work!

I am a retired Telco Lineman but I do get calls to help in the training dept. of ATT. I teach pole climbing, general safety and heavy equipment training (even ATV) among other stuff. Work a few weeks to a few months per year usually.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

I am a SAHM. I also watch my neighbors kids 3 days a week but she's out on maternity leave right now. When she goes back to work I will have her 6 year old, my 5 year old, her 3 year old & a 3 month old.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee
Nice work!

I am a retired Telco Lineman but I do get calls to help in the training dept. of ATT. I teach pole climbing, general safety and heavy equipment training (even ATV) among other stuff. Work a few weeks to a few months per year usually.
Now that seems like a primo gig!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand
I am a SAHM. I also watch my neighbors kids 3 days a week but she's out on maternity leave right now. When she goes back to work I will have her 6 year old, my 5 year old, her 3 year old & a 3 month old.
Probably the most complicated job on the planet. Kudos to you and now I'm reminded to kiss my wife and tell her how great she is
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Probably the most complicated job on the planet. Kudos to you and now I'm reminded to kiss my wife and tell her how great she is
It can be overwhelming & quite a handful... but the spontaneous "I love you Miss Kat" makes it worth it. And if all else fails, a visit that night to our local dive bar helps too.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #7

Long retired as an 'Exec' in Mortgage Banking and as an owner of a Vineyard.

Now? Up at 0200 to 0300 to watch the stock market (and how much money have I lost today as is the present) .. then into the shower at 0500 to report to my Vollie Job at a Sr. Citizen's food center. This Bateman kitchen turns out about 1,000 meals per day here in Medford, going to folks who really need it for what ever group of reasons (there are many).

98% of the time the meals are top drawer (personally, if the word 'Breaded' what-ever I'd take a pass) and menu is published a month in advance. Fun to hear the phone ring (damned thing is connected to a Kalacson (sp?) sort of thing) from the Seasoned Center Citizens asking 'Can we get 20 more meals??!!??

Answer is 'yes,' more 'panned up' and in a cooler (with hot bricks to keep them warm) and out the door driving north/south in 15 minutes.

Honesty? First there as "Community Service = 100 hours; that was 1400-1500 hours ago?

Serving the food may be a cool thing (emotionally), but actually making same in the pans, is quite something else imho. The Folks who turn this out in So-Oregon are one special group of people .. they understand what/why/who .. and work their butts off.

Next to us is "Access" and God only knows how many boxes of food-stuffs they distribute over the same day.

Remember a 'quote' attributed a Fellow I follow, who once said: "What you do for the least of mine, you do for me.'

I've found no reason, at 70, to argue the point.
fae

fae
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

I completely remodeled a bathroom once for my mother-in-law in a house that was built in 1925..............sir; I now have the MOST RESPECT for your line of work. Hers turned out very well, but boy was it a "truckload" of work!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaEagle View Post
Now that seems like a primo gig!!
I love it!! All expenses paid, nice hotels and I can take my wife along when she feels like it.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #10

I have been a special needs school bus driver for the past 4 years, prior to that I had driven a 77 passenger school bus since 1994. I did not drive this past school year due to liver cancer /chemo treatments, hope to return in the fall. If I can't return in the fall, not sure what I will do.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Nice work!

Retired NY Tel on to Verizon and all between, installer, cable maintenance, then company service (our own computers, phones etc.). Climbed many a pole on my hooks. Came down on the express a couple of times

Retired young and have not looked back so far. Would love to teach some of the skills I learned over the years but they haven't been knocking at my door and I really haven't looked very hard.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #12

My dad worked for GTE (now Verizon) from about 1966 on until a few years ago. He retired quite a few times & they kept calling him back as an outside contractor. After this last stint (where they were going to cutback on quite a few jobs) my dad gave up his position in the hopes that the younger ones that needed the income would benifit.

Pretty much our whole buggy group was made up of GTE guys. My dad even got part of a telephone pole with a plaque on it when he retired the first time.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #13

I will be retiring for the third time in August. My current employer wants me to remain on the payroll and consult remotely from wherever I am at the time. I will keep my office and spend a few hours a week in it when I am in town. We are a full service engineering consulting company supporting a number of large, multi-national companies. We have a lot of part timers in their 60's, 70's and a few in their 80's that keep themselves young by sharing their knowledge and mentoring younger engineers.

My DW retired 18 months ago so the pressure to follow her is mounting by the day. She spends a lot of her time volunteering and enjoying the 7 Grandchildren.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #14

Worked in the construction field then small furniture business owner..I guess thats why I have a old camper...