Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #29

c13 going up hill, down hill, wind, 60mph, 70mph. 5.6 mpg

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #30

I love to drive and to his defense I have better eye sight, especially at night.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have a new 2012 Ram 1500 hemi. I just got back from Martinsville speedway to northern Virginia. We went via I81 which means we went through the mountains. We were dry camping so we were completely loaded out with water, two Honda inverters and about an additional 15 gals of gas plus all the normal food and clothing etc. We went 275 miles each way and averaged 11.3 MPG. We were towing a 20' koala. As far as gas is concerned I can't rave enough about the PENFED credit card. I get 5% cash back which adds up fast. I will also occasionally use the grocery store discount card. Bottom line I'm getting gas $.17-$.37 per gallon less than the advertised price.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #32

First drive was 9.7 mpg according to the computer from Grass Valley, CA to Portland, OR area ~600 mi. Towing Honda CRV. Was driving ~60mph
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #33

Two different guys in the camping club I'm in have the V-10 in their 35-36 footers. According to them each of their MHs get in the 7 to 7.5 range. My gasser with the 454 Chevy was getting 8. to 8.5 mph. My current DP loaded to 25,000 lbs and pulling a Grand Cherokee gets the same as my gasser got. I wanted to get double digits buy hey, I also wanted to be rich and good looking.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #34
CD

I noticed that most of the posts are big MHs. I can see why they are getting the mpg they are getting. Years ago I had an F750 with a 389 V8 that I hauled hay with and it got 4mpg. My tow rig gets 13 when towing now that I have learned to keep my foot out of it. Before I got 10/12. That is about 20% increase or about $.80 per gal saving.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptop View Post
Two different guys in the camping club I'm in have the V-10 in their 35-36 footers. According to them each of their MHs get in the 7 to 7.5 range. My gasser with the 454 Chevy was getting 8. to 8.5 mph. My current DP loaded to 25,000 lbs and pulling a Grand Cherokee gets the same as my gasser got. I wanted to get double digits buy hey, I also wanted to be rich and good looking.
Well at least you're rich!!!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #36

I drive 65mph and don't worry, it is what it is. People at the gas pumps always comment about having to fill that thing up, I tell them it's worth every penny to live life out on the road enjoying life..... They always stop and think about what I just said.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderer1 View Post
what's your fuel milage and if any tricks to get better milage. and to get discounts on fuel?
MPG is important because thats cash out of my pocket...so I try to conserve. My 37' Class A averages right about 8 (that is an average) but I have had tanks that were as low as 6.5 and as high as 8.5.

Now back to the fun part...tips and tricks; I try to let the RV roll like the big rigs - coasting down hill and letting it climb at a comfortable pace (read slower up hill). Unlike the car, cruise control will kill MPG in the hills and mountains because it wants to charge up hill.

Driving over 70MPH kills the MPG in my coach, so while it is legal in many parts, I avoid driving the limit.

Running the generator puts a tax on the MPG, but when it is 100 degrees outside, it is a trade off and I pick to run the A/C's.

I have tried mid grade and premium gas with no measurable improvement, to I just fill up with regular.

Towing a car on our dolly seems to make little or no difference to our mileage. I figure thats because of the way I drive...no rabbit starts, slow braking avoid speed changes, etc. I might upset other drivers behind me, but I always stay to the right.

The best tip I have found for gas prices is to try to find a CostCo along the route...just cant beat those prices.

Equipment is a W24 (gas 8.1l V8, Allison 2100 6spd) under a 37' toyhauler motorhome.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #38

We just got back from a trip, so I have the figures handy... Right around 11,000 (10,998.7 to be exact) miles and we averaged 12.44 mpg. 2011 2500 Longhorn Laramie short bed with the HO Cummins Turbo Diesel towing a Cougar 318SAB (35'). I used to worry about fuel costs and trying to save the 3 cents here or 5 cents there. I use a Cabela's Visa now and just let the "Cabela Bucks" rack up until they pay for that new Ruger, or Mossberg, etc. Our local food store and Sheetz have a deal together, but, Sheetz isn't nationwide, so out of our area, I just try to find the best deal in the place where I need fuel.

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
We just got back from a trip, so I have the figures handy... Right around 11,000 (10,998.7 to be exact) miles and we averaged 12.44 mpg. 2011 2500 Longhorn Laramie short bed with the HO Cummins Turbo Diesel towing a Cougar 318SAB (35'). I used to worry about fuel costs and trying to save the 3 cents here or 5 cents there. I use a Cabela's Visa now and just let the "Cabela Bucks" rack up until they pay for that new Ruger, or Mossberg, etc. Our local food store and Sheetz have a deal together, but, Sheetz isn't nationwide, so out of our area, I just try to find the best deal in the place where I need fuel.
NO SHEETZ???

I found that in some states what you think is regular grade gasoline is a rock bottom fuel that maybe, just maybe has some octane. Its where the regular should be so be careful. Our C Class 400 CID runs best on regular and the lower grade stuff made for some hard hard hill climbing.

I also try hard to stick to the 60 MPH area of the speedometer and that's where we get our best fuel economy. The difference in a six hour driving day between 60 and 65 is a measly 30 miles so I can live with that as we just ain't in a hurry.

Tags
fuel