Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #85

Spear Fishing and Scuba diving for Fossils.

rokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #86

Shooting, reloading, woodworking, fishing, Bible study... Pretty good at most of them.
C45BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #87

More like Hobbies...

I took on a "small" restoration project in the 1915 fieldstone sided craftsman home we bought. Working inside and out to give this place it's dignity back.

Currently working on stipping and refinishing/repairing the lathe and plaster walls, maple floors and the beautiful old growth quarter sawn oak trim that had been painted multiple times.... UGH.

mxrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrob View Post
I took on a "small" restoration project in the 1915 fieldstone sided craftsman home we bought. Working inside and out to give this place it's dignity back.

Currently working on stipping and refinishing/repairing the lathe and plaster walls, maple floors and the beautiful old growth quarter sawn oak trim that had been painted multiple times.... UGH.

Beautiful! Love those old craftsman style bungalows.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #89

What's your hobby?

Me -- fishing in spring/summer, hunting in fall/winter.
Wife -- reading, exercise -- all the time.

Gene & Jeanette
2015 Thor Palazzo 36.1 DP
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport (Toad)
gjbales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #90

All this talk about motorcycles and auto racing reminds me of my much younger days. I've owned a couple of dirt bikes and a couple of street bikes but didn't do any racing. My younger brother was big into dirt bike racing. My only racing experience was street racing as a teenager but I did get into Demolition Derby for awhile. Now that was fun. Legal smashing up,other cars was a hoot. I only came in first once but did come in 2nd & 3rd a couple of times. I still have the horn button from the 52 DeSoto I was driving when I won. The purse was a whopping $150. Plus I sold the still running DeSoto for $50. i can't imagine what the all steel tank would do to a modern vehicle.
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by revbilly View Post
All this talk about motorcycles and auto racing reminds me of my much younger days. I've owned a couple of dirt bikes and a couple of street bikes but didn't do any racing. My younger brother was big into dirt bike racing. My only racing experience was street racing as a teenager but I did get into Demolition Derby for awhile. Now that was fun. Legal smashing up,other cars was a hoot. I only came in first once but did come in 2nd & 3rd a couple of times. I still have the horn button from the 52 DeSoto I was driving when I won. The purse was a whopping $150. Plus I sold the still running DeSoto for $50. i can't imagine what the all steel tank would do to a modern vehicle.
Hard to imagine. Cars today are built to collapse but keep the passenger area safe. I actually witnessed an F150 (drunk driver) head on a Chevy Cavalier a few years back. The F150 was upside down when I got to it, and the Cavalier was in tatters. The engine / transmission was under it. I approached it dreading what I was going to see but the people inside were OK. I asked the woman driving if she could roll her window down, and the power window worked. The battery was hanging by the cables. Amazing!

I expect that DeSoto would disable a modern car with the first hit, but the driver would still be OK.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #92

cl440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
Hard to imagine. Cars today are built to collapse but keep the passenger area safe. I actually witnessed an F150 (drunk driver) head on a Chevy Cavalier a few years back. The F150 was upside down when I got to it, and the Cavalier was in tatters. The engine / transmission was under it. I approached it dreading what I was going to see but the people inside were OK. I asked the woman driving if she could roll her window down, and the power window worked. The battery was hanging by the cables. Amazing!

I expect that DeSoto would disable a modern car with the first hit, but the driver would still be OK.
Sammy Davis Jr. lost his eye in an auto accident to having his head impact the decorative tall-pointed center of an early 50's something Cadillac. If seat belts and air bags had only be standard fare! Due to that celebrity calamity, from what I understand, Cadillac took away the pointed center to their steering wheels.

I feel pretty safe in my full-frame 67 Buick Wildcat "Luxo Muscle Car"!!

That said: The 2014 Lincoln MKT SUV my wife drives [very surprisingly to me] out weighs my Wildcat... 4800 lbs. to 4,400 lbs. So... with that much weight [and enough protective airbags to float a Zeppelin] I guess her newer ride wins for occupant protection!
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #94

Smile ATV

I pull a Polaris General into the back woods and camp. Then ride the trails and enjoy!
rsty23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #95

Astronomy, photography, rock collecting, boating, gardening, target shooting and trying to learn to edit time lapse movies.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There was an interesting video on YouTube a few years ago that commemorated 50 yrs of crash testing by the NHTSA. They pitted a current Malibu (iirc) against a 1959 Chevy in offset head on collision. It was really eye-opening. The new car won hands down. And the old car that was built like a battleship literally came apart. The driver would have likely been killed. The driver in the Malibu may have suffered a broken leg iirc. Really an amazing video.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #97

For the younger folks I would say, embrace the hobbies you love, but be careful of having so many there is not time enough for all of them....in a lifetime.

Life has been wonderful and I have enjoyed nearly all of the same hobbies as the rest of you, starting with a love of aviation while sitting in school in the '50's and listening to a J-3 drone over the school from an adjacent grass strip. I have pilot and A&P licenses, both for the aviation hobby. Currently I have an unfinished CH-701 in a transport trailer/hanger beside the house. At 80, with neuropathy in my lower legs and feet I will never be able to finish and fly it, but there were others.

My first bike was a '47 Harley 61 in '57 just after graduating high school. From then on there were many bikes in our life ranging from Honda CT-90's to larger road machines. We both love riding them in the woods and on the highway, but after having several bikes fall on me because of neuropathy related balance problems I sold the last road bike this summer.

A Triumph Spit-6 came into our life in '92 and is outside covered with a tarp waiting for another restoration. I will do it all from building seats/upholstery and welding to painting. It will replace the bikes with top down touring.

There have always been the kids, grand-kids, and now two greats to spend time with and teach/show things. The kids went across the country many times, but only one grand had the "grand tour" of US parks and aviation museums/Oshkosh.

And there is the 23' boat we bought in '81, and still have, that made many trips to the Pacific Coast with kids and grand-kids, and a few weeks in the San Juan's.

These along with a 1-3 month trip from OR to WV and back each year, a month or so bow hunting for elk each year, fishing, photography, working on campers, working around the house, from replacing the roof, plumbing, painting and other things have all taken time.

Also, a few years ago I decided to learn to play a saxophone which has also branched off into also repairing them. The sax is to a large degree, a replacement for other hobbies when I am no longer as mobile.

I guess the point at the beginning is that if one has many hobbies, as I have, there may not be enough time to enjoy all of them fully.

For me it has been wonderful, thanks to a wife and family who shared in most of them, and I look forward to the years/hobbies that are left.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
There was an interesting video on YouTube a few years ago that commemorated 50 yrs of crash testing by the NHTSA. They pitted a current Malibu (iirc) against a 1959 Chevy in offset head on collision. It was really eye-opening. The new car won hands down. And the old car that was built like a battleship literally came apart. The driver would have likely been killed. The driver in the Malibu may have suffered a broken leg iirc. Really an amazing video.
jt
Round about 1958... a 1955 Chevy came across median strip on LI expressway. Hit my dad in his 1951 Cadillac headlight to headlight. Photos looked like two cars welded together; the Cad still with distinguishable hood crumpled - the Chevy with nothing to and including its windshield. Est speed of each 60 mph; 120 mph impact. Unfortunately the 55 Chevy engine came through firewall... killed the driver and maimed his wife with grade school son in rear seat; son was un hurt as I recall. My dad's Cadi engine buckled the firewall but did not come through. Dad was knocked unconscious but came out of it basically unscathed physically... except for big gray scar on right temple for rest of life.

Few years later the family of errant driver sued my dad for couple million $$. Back then that was not chump change and dad's Allstate liability ins was no where near that amount. A pallor fell over our dinner table for months in a row as items progressed. Luckily Allstate provided a good attorney and dad got off scot-free... as it should have been! One thing he experienced as the trial consumed his days - Dark brown hair quickly turned to grey! Such is life!!
RM Art is offline   Reply With Quote