Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #127

They charge more for debit only for authorizations (deposits) in cases like hotels and rental cars, etc. For instance, I just saw a sign at Hertz that read debit card users will have an additional $xxx authorized from their cards that will be settled later. I assume that is because you can empty your account and they have no guarantee. I've also noticed that gas stations only authorize $1 at the pump.

Also, credit cards are just as vulnerable as debit cards. I've had the bad guys steal information from both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I just don't use my debit card, I either write a check, pay cash, or use my credit card. The easiest thing(at least if it is an inside job) is for someone to use info from your debit card to compromise it. You would be surprised how many people don't know if something has been charged to their account via fraud and just pay it.

Also if you use your debit card they for some reason charge more than the purchase price to cover the bill, and then the bank makes it correct which could take a day or two. (now that's a pet peeve) Not that I have to worry about the balance it just bugs me they can do that. I know I live in the stone age, my wife tells me all the time, she uses her debit card for everything.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
They charge more for debit only for authorizations (deposits) in cases like hotels and rental cars, etc. For instance, I just saw a sign at Hertz that read debit card users will have an additional $xxx authorized from their cards that will be settled later. I assume that is because you can empty your account and they have no guarantee. I've also noticed that gas stations only authorize $1 at the pump.

Also, credit cards are just as vulnerable as debit cards. I've had the bad guys steal information from both.
Many rental car companies don't want to rent on a debit card, period.

Credit cards are just as vulnerable to number theft, but its less of big deal to have a credit card frozen (and charges reversed) than to have your source of cash gone and trying to get money put back into your account. Sadly, speaking from experience.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #129

Quote:
Sure they can steal from any type of card you use, but the fact is on a credit card you will never realize the difference as it is usually taken off your card that day or the next, certainly before you have to pay your CC bill. When its taken from your debit card, there are things you need to do to get the money back into your account which may take some time, and some people don't have the money in their accounts to cover it and can't pay their other bills while waiting for the money to be returned.

Also on your response as to why others may be speeding and nobody really knows, that is true, but it is the exception not the rule. 99% of the time they are not speeding for emergency reasons, either they just don't care and will do whatever they want, running late, or they are so distracted by their cell phones or music that they just don't realize how fast they are going.

Both of those comments are based on 30+ years in Law Enforcement and having to investigate/deal with both.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #130
RVM1

What's your "pet peeve" ?

Quote:
Sure they can steal from any type of card you use, but the fact is on a credit card you will never realize the difference as it is usually taken off your card that day or the next, certainly before you have to pay your CC bill. When its taken from your debit card, there are things you need to do to get the money back into your account which may take some time, and some people don't have the money in their accounts to cover it and can't pay their other bills while waiting for the money to be returned.

The answer is a good non profit FCU. Been with mine for over 40 years, get hacked 1 or 2 times/year, never charged me anything be it debit or credit, no surprizes. I could go on.....
FYI, have not been inside a bank in over 15 years, have not used an ATM in over 20. No need to anymore!
Thus, almost a pet peeve that some don't trust the technology that has matured so well, and some that complain about banks and fees but still stay with them.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Thus, almost a pet peeve that some don't trust the technology that has matured so well, and some that complain about banks and fees but still stay with them.

I use my Credit card all the time, trust all the new "technology", keep money In Banks as well as Credit Unions, and in the last 20 years or more have not had to pay any bank fees. I just choose not to use the debit card, and knock on wood have never been hacked, except on a Mobil Card which was an inside job. If you are getting hacked a couple of times a year, I wouldn't consider that a great banking experience, or that the technology is working.. It is all about the banks you use and trust. To each his own.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:45 PM   #132
RVM1

Quote:
I use my Credit card all the time, trust all the new "technology", keep money In Banks as well as Credit Unions, and in the last 20 years or more have not had to pay any bank fees. I just choose not to use the debit card, and knock on wood have never been hacked, except on a Mobil Card which was an inside job. If you are getting hacked a couple of times a year, I wouldn't consider that a great banking experience, or that the technology is working.. It is all about the banks you use and trust. To each his own.

2 people, 4 cards, 1 or 2 hacks, FCU alert at the moment of the bad transaction, all totally transparent.
Yes it's a great banking experience

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:46 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
2 people, 4 cards, 1 or 2 hacks, FCU alert at the moment of the bad transaction, all totally transparent.
Yes it's a great banking experience

Ok if you think so that's all that matters, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCG604 View Post
On ramps, when I am in the right lane. Some people don't bother to look and then they see me right next to them( The shocked look on their face). like oh crap I better get moving. Or take their sweet time getting on.
The second one is also one of mine.

Another, are slowpoke pedestrians.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
The second one is also one of mine.

Another, are slowpoke pedestrians.
I understand slowpoke pedestrians, having had a double knee, single hip replacement. I left "fast" at the hospital, with my old joints.

Just cross the street, curb to curb. Not the wandering 45 degree angle route.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:38 PM   #136

Handicap mirror tags, so big, that they block the drivers view.

Talk about a handicap.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
I think our pet peeve on the highway is moving left to let on a merger and then no one will let us back over. Even with our signal on, cars in the left lane parade around us in the right lane to pass us. Or the merging vehicle dawdles along beside us. If we speed up substantially to get around them and back over, the vehicle all of a sudden speed as up and passes us. Why didn't they just speed up in the first place? Believe me, we would rather be in the right lane than stuck out in the left lane.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1458160463.777688.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	121554
Old 03-16-2016, 03:56 PM   #138

Exactly
Old 03-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #139

Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
No, Amazing Kreskin, you do not know why a person is exceeding the posted speed limit.

Last year near us in the Bay Area, when a mother was trying to get her very sick child who had a reaction to something while in the car to an emergency room, someone determined he knew why she was speeding and decided that he was appointed special police powers to restrict speeders. So he hit the brakes as this desperate woman with emergency flashers and flashing headlights (please get over) while talking to 911 was trying to save her child. Surely as he was in midair, he thought about how much more formidable Honda minivans are than Minis. Later, he also found out about the formidability of her lawyer.

My sister met less resistance when one of my nephews suddenly turned blue in the back seat, perhaps because her two other kids were yelling to other motorists what was happening.

Again, you never know why someone needs to go faster than you, and it's the law to drive in the right lane except when passing.
The odds of that are about the same as winning the lottery, the vast majority of speeders are self absorbed aholes who are too impatient to obey the laws, all laws including red lights, stopping at occupied pedestrian crossings, obeying the 10 MPH speed limit posted in most all RV parks. Most are idiots who think only their time is so much more important than all others, you don't have to be in the faster lane to incur their road rage. They will rage on you in the right lane if you slow them down to the speed limit. After all they know that 45 MPH sign doesn't make any sense at all, what idiot decided that you should drive at a reasonable safe speed in a congested area!!

The Amazing Kreskin
Old 03-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #140

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I understand slowpoke pedestrians, having had a double knee, single hip replacement. I left "fast" at the hospital, with my old joints.

Just cross the street, curb to curb. Not the wandering 45 degree angle route.
I have no problem with pedestrians with handicaps, I am talking about those who take their sweet time for no reason than to be obnoxious or more concentrated on the cell phone in their ear.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote