Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #141

When I put my turn signal on to merge and the oncoming car speeds up to block me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #142

The person who is sitting in traffic approaching a busy intersection & decides to pull into intersection now blocking traffic in the other lanes

Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #143

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
When I put my turn signal on to merge and the oncoming car speeds up to block me.
And if it is at night flips the brights on at the same time.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #144
RVM1

Late, oh-dark-thirty CG arrivals that are in a frantic hurry. They do at least 30 in the 10mph park, hollar all thru set up, etc, etc, and leave their scare lights on all night. Then leave before sunrise in another hollering fury with scare lights still glowing. Most have 2 weeks to do a months worth of travel, are crabby the entire time, and may never know that new places and fun stuff is within one day of home, and that the Journey is the Destination.

Other than our sleep interruption, we are not angry, just sad that they choose to have such a stressful trip because they are determined to reach the "bridge too far".

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #145

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dump Stations If you put it in there in the first place, why do you have to don a Hazmat Suit to take it out ?
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #146
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Dump Stations If you put it in there in the first place, why do you have to don a Hazmat Suit to take it out ?

I have never taken it out. You? I'm just a dedicated contributor.

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:14 PM   #147

The 18 wheeler that pulls into the the left lane to pass another truck going about 1 MPH slower ... causing traffic behind truck #1 to stack up.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #148

Actually, in both instances with my bank card, the bank notified me and restored my account right away. They informed me that I could either come get, or they would send me a new card, and everything was back to normal. They do the same thing if you notify them. They're actually better than the CC people. Also, it's not a reflection of a bad bank, but of the progress of thieves and technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Sure they can steal from any type of card you use, but the fact is on a credit card you will never realize the difference as it is usually taken off your card that day or the next, certainly before you have to pay your CC bill. When its taken from your debit card, there are things you need to do to get the money back into your account which may take some time, and some people don't have the money in their accounts to cover it and can't pay their other bills while waiting for the money to be returned..
Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #149

Ah, the elephant races. Usually going uphill, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis View Post
The 18 wheeler that pulls into the the left lane to pass another truck going about 1 MPH slower ... causing traffic behind truck #1 to stack up.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #150

Ah, but Mike, those blocking the passing lane just don't care, are doing whatever they want, and are distracted by cell phones, too. Something like 3% comply with posted limits, and the highest accident group is the slowest 5%, but cops go after people getting around these ties ups because it's easy (which is another pet peeve). You can tell when these people get on the phone because they practically stop. These people are dangerous.

Quote:
Also on your response as to why others may be speeding and nobody really knows, that is true, but it is the exception not the rule. 99% of the time they are not speeding for emergency reasons, either they just don't care and will do whatever they want, running late, or they are so distracted by their cell phones or music that they just don't realize how fast they are going.

Both of those comments are based on 30+ years in Law Enforcement and having to investigate/deal with both.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Ah, but Mike, and the highest accident group is the slowest 5%, but cops go after people getting around these ties ups because it's easy (which is another pet peeve). You can tell when these people get on the phone because they practically stop. These people are dangerous.
Although I agree that people going slow way below the speed limit is also a danger, but that is simply not true that the slowest have the highest accident rate. They may have accidents, but I can assure you most of the deadliest and most damaging accidents I have ever seen, handled, or studied the primary cause of collision was excessive speed. A lot of people want to bag on the Cops these days, they can't win for losing, but I can tell you they don't prey on the easy ones. Most Cops will allow about 10-15mph over the posted limit, based on the current road conditions, before they even stop someone. So on most freeways that could be a speed of anywhere from 75-90 mph, accidents happen real quick at those speeds. If what the Cops do trying to keep people safe is a Pet peeve, I don't know what to tell you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #152

Quote:
Something like 3% comply with posted limits,
I'm so happy, I finally made it into the top 3% of something!!!! I knew if I lived long enough I would do it.

My pet peeve is people driving way too fast and weaving into and out of traffic like they are on a race course. Some states are far worse than others.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Quote:
latest National Survey of Speeding Attitudes and Behavior provides national estimates of behavior and attitudes toward speeding in the United States. Survey results show a broad range of perspectives among drivers. The majority of drivers, about four out of five, believed driving at or near the speed limit makes it easier to avoid dangerous situations and reduces the chances of a crash. An overwhelming majority, 91 percent, agreed with the statement that "everyone should obey the speed limits because it's the law." Almost half of all drivers, 48 percent, said that it was very important that something be done to reduce speeding on U.S. roads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Limit Sign 3.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	121710   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed limit sign 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	121711  

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #153

Good for you Bigd9! If you persevere, you can do anything.

As far as your stats, those are what drivers *believe* from the questions that are posed to them by researchers, *not* what they actually do. According to the NYTimes, when asked, the majority of drivers also *agreed* that it is safe to speed, and a majority see nothing wrong with 20mph over the limit.

The study I quoted is from the FHA, doesn't ask questions, it analyzes behavioral data. "Speeds were measured for a 24-hour period on 52 roads and streets in four states: Delaware, North Carolina, Colorado, and Arizona. Driver compliance with speed limits is poor. On average, 7 out of 10 motorists exceeded the posted speed in urban areas... The accident involvement rates on streets and highways in urban areas was highest for the slowest 5 percent of traffic..."

So being within the limits of the law might might you happy, but I wonder if the higher accident rate comes from a refusal to move right and be courteous, born of a smug sense of law-abiding superiority?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #154

Don't assure me, assure these scientists. So, according to this, they are going for the easy targets and not for the most dangerous ones.

"Speeds were measured for a 24-hour period on 52 roads and streets in four states: Delaware, North Carolina, Colorado, and Arizona. Driver compliance with speed limits is poor. On average, 7 out of 10 motorists exceeded the posted speed in urban areas... The accident involvement rates on streets and highways in urban areas was highest for the slowest 5 percent of traffic..."

Quote:
Although I agree that people going slow way below the speed limit is also a danger, but that is simply not true that the slowest have the highest accident rate. They may have accidents, but I can assure you most of the deadliest and most damaging accidents I have ever seen, handled, or studied the primary cause of collision was excessive speed. A lot of people want to bag on the Cops these days, they can't win for losing, but I can tell you they don't prey on the easy ones. Most Cops will allow about 10-15mph over the posted limit, based on the current road conditions, before they even stop someone. So on most freeways that could be a speed of anywhere from 75-90 mph, accidents happen real quick at those speeds. If what the Cops do trying to keep people safe is a Pet peeve, I don't know what to tell you.