Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2016, 01:09 AM   #155

Johnitis....The problem is the sources quoted don't analyze actual accidents, so their statistics can work anyway they want for them, to justify their study. They would change their tune if Law Enforcement was able to release actual traffic accident reports to them to use in their study. Any major injury or fatal accident can be reconstructed when documented correctly and you would be amazed at what happens during a collision, and how much the increase of speed changes the dynamics of the accident.

Also I'm sure people think that 20 mph over posted speed limit is safe, much like they tell you they can drive safely while texting or using their cell phones. But I will bet they don't have the common sense or education that the Traffic Engineer who developed the speed limit has. Have you ever seen the pool of people researchers use for the surveys, I would not want that pool making decisions that would affect my family's safety on the road. That would make it ok to travel the average freeways between 85-95 MPH based on the posted speed limit. That 20 mph addition in speed, changes the length of travel per second dramatically, and a lot can happen when someone is texting(because that same pool will tell you that's safe too) for 10 seconds not paying attention to other traffic, or some other traffic hazard arises.

Either way everyone has the choice to follow the posted speed limits or not, but must be willing to accept the consequences should they be stopped by Law Enforcement, or god forbid they are involved in a traffic accident.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2016, 02:21 AM   #156

Internet experts.
Rude people.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:10 AM   #157

I have a number of pet peeves. I will offer a couple, not in any particular order.

Since the last couple posts have been about speed, and I drive my car about 50,000 miles a year, and my MH about 2,000 miles a year, I have some car vs MH peeves, I may start there...

I leave a great deal more room in front of my MH than my car, because I know it takes longer to stop for the same speed. My peeve is that this is an open invitation to idiots who would rather get rear ended by a motor home than a car... In heavy traffic (read that as frequent stops or slow downs) I try to leave a large buffer lane in front of me, and this is the exact same time that people hop in front of me more often...

I lived in Europe for several years while in the army a couple decades ago. At the time, they drove faster than us, in Germany as an example. They had far fewer accidents per mile driven, and their traffic enforcement was far more stringent, and far more difficult and it required more education and practice to get a driver's license. This may account for the less accidents per mile. The one statistic that no one likes to admit however, since everyone drove faster, and thought they were better, is that they had a far higher fatality rate than us as well. Less accidents, but more deaths. Go figure. Speed is a killer.

Now, I can drive much faster, and still be safer than my mother could, when she drove. Speed limits for every driver breeds contempt from those who feel they can driver better than the average. It can be a refuge for those who place too much faith in it, or who think others should do as they do.

I believe the truth is that everyone traveled the speed limit, and everyone paid attention to what they were doing, and actually knew how to drive, then average trips would take less time, as there would be less accordion driving out there, where someone causes a slowdown, then people react by going faster some other time...

I choose to drive between the clusters of drivers on the highway when I can. I take great effort to be alone on the highway when I can, even if it means going a bit faster or slower than I might otherwise. It is my choice. I am also a courteous driver, either in car or MH, I take efforts not to cut people off or slide into their leading 'safe' zone.

If a large space exists in front of a truck or MH and I want to enter that space, I have been known to go to the front of that space, and slide in there. Often times, the car right in front of me will not know why I am closer to them than the vehicle behind, and sometimes have jammed on the brakes. That qualifies as another peeve. Just because they do not understand my courtesy to the large vehicle behind us, they endanger all three vehicles.

Earlier, people mentioned merging. One habit people have here in Mass, is that they 'take the lane' when they enter a street from the side. If they want to go north, as an example, instead of waiting till both north and south have an opening, they enter the south lanes sideways when they can, and stop traffic waiting for the north lanes to clear. THAT drives me crazy. It is more than a peeve.

I have a thin blue line sticker on both car and motor home, as I have no gripe with cops doing their job. I don't want a ticket, but do not take it personally.

And in the car, I am not in the 3%. I do pay attention however.

One last thing. It is not really a pet peeve, but it does amuse me. Both in car and MH, I generally set the cruise control. (different settings) One thing I love is that while I am going a steady speed, I see the same people pass me over and over. They speed up and pass me, but get distracted or wind up behind a slower driver, and eventually I pass them, then they realize it and pass me again. Often by the third time, they are giving me dirty looks, as if I am doing something wrong. All the time, I am just cruising along on speed control... It gets very amusing when they get mad a me for keeping up with them while driving slower and more steadily...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:34 AM   #158

Thor Owners Club
What Karl said !!!
I see the same people pass me over and over. They speed up and pass me, but get distracted or wind up behind a slower driver, and eventually I pass them, then they realize it and pass me again. Often by the third time, they are giving me dirty looks, as if I am doing something wrong. All the time, I am just cruising along on speed control... It gets very amusing when they get mad a me for keeping up with them while driving slower and more steadily...
FMCA #F456868
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #159

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Going too slow on the interstate.

I was driving on I-10 last week and a guy in a old junk pickup from California towing a car at 45mph. I wish a cop was around to give him a ticket and get him off the interstate where the speed limit is 75. VERY un-safe
bobf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
People on the forums who say, "I don't use a braking system and you don't need one"; "I don't use a surge protector and you don't need one"; "I don't use a TPMS and you don't need one"; "I don't have a extended warranty and you are foolish to buy one"; "I only buy Michelin's and you should only buy them also".

Get the picture?
Amen brother.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf46 View Post
Going too slow on the interstate.

I was driving on I-10 last week and a guy in a old junk pickup from California towing a car at 45mph. I wish a cop was around to give him a ticket and get him off the interstate where the speed limit is 75. VERY un-safe
Isn't the minimum speed 45 MPH ?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #162

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To add to the checkout in the stores: when the person behinds me, stands so close to me that I have to cover the thing-a-ma-jig when I punch in my password on my account.

To those paying with cards at gas stations and in case you don't know: look for a small sticker that covers the opening door of the pump. This tells you that no one has been inside the machine since the station last checked it. People have been putting their units inside pumps to collect your credit/debit card info. The stations are checking them regularly each day and will put a sticker over the opening. If no sticker, pay inside.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by geocacher View Post
To add to the checkout in the stores: when the person behinds me, stands so close to me that I have to cover the thing-a-ma-jig when I punch in my password on my account.
I have no problem telling those people to back the hell up and get out of my personal space. And, they do.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #164

For those tired of aggressive drivers just call 911.

We work with the enforcement folks and monitor their traffic and there are dispatches about every 5 minutes for such things.

The LEO advises it makes their day if they can catch the bad guys in sight of the caller.

Some scary calls have been observed...

My peeve is the aggressive driver who is an idiot...We were very aggressive back in the day but was in such a manner to not be cutting folks off...Just took advantage of open road.

Got rear ended at 60 MPH and was sliding sideways until hitting center divider in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway...at fault was idiot late to birthday party.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #165
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
For those tired of aggressive drivers just call 911.

We work with the enforcement folks and monitor their traffic and there are dispatches about every 5 minutes for such things.

The LEO advises it makes their day if they can catch the bad guys in sight of the caller.

Some scary calls have been observed...

My peeve is the aggressive driver who is an idiot...We were very aggressive back in the day but was in such a manner to not be cutting folks off...Just took advantage of open road.

Got rear ended at 60 MPH and was sliding sideways until hitting center divider in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway...at fault was idiot late to birthday party.

In some cities, calls to 911 for aggressive drivers would be in the many thousands. Not nuff $ for that. Sorry!

Dave and Nola, RV Mutants

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #166
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
One of the things that irritate me most is people parking in clearly-marked handicap spaces without handicapped tags or stickers! I have called 911 many times when I observe this, but most of the time the person has already gone before the LEO gets there!

Another side to that is the person who has a handicapped tag or sticker but is clearly NOT handicapped! I'm talking about some young person who gets out and practically runs into the store! Yes, I know there are some folks who have problems that are not evident, such as heart, etc., but these folks don't usually run into the store!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
One of the things that irritate me most is people parking in clearly-marked handicap spaces without handicapped tags or stickers! I have called 911 many times when I observe this, but most of the time the person has already gone before the LEO gets there!

Another side to that is the person who has a handicapped tag or sticker but is clearly NOT handicapped! I'm talking about some young person who gets out and practically runs into the store! Yes, I know there are some folks who have problems that are not evident, such as heart, etc., but these folks don't usually run into the store!
One of mine, now that you bring this up, is when I am with some young person, and I park deep in the lot, and that young person complains about the walk to the store. They know that I have the handicapped sign that I can hang from the rear view mirror that comes from the State, because the VA has me recorded as disabled due to a knee reconstruction 30 years+ ago...

I explain that while I can walk, those passes stay in the glove box. I am surprised when I get the complaints, most often from the youngsters, as I move to the store, sometimes with more of a 'swagger' than other times...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #168

Joe, although I agree with you about the Handicap Parking violators and it is also a "pet Peave" of mine and I have written that citation many times. But that is not what 911 is intended for. Having spent 30+ years in LE, and having supervised our Communications Center, the over use of 911 has always been a "Pet Peave" for me. 911 is for emergencies, those lines are constantly flooded with calls, many of which are not emergencies. We do try to educate the public, and understand to some people their problem may seem like an emergency at the time, but a parking violation is clearly not an emergency. That call could result in a person who has an emergency not being able to get help. The reason that the offender is usually gone by the time LE gets there is they are most likely responding to worse issues. I assure you most LE loves to write that ticket when they have the time to.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote