Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 06:28 PM   #253

What's your "pet peeve" ?

On the other hand, if you are organizing an event, this may be the person you want to have doing the legwork.
Since disconnecting, moving and reconnecting would have taken the better part of an hour, you could have quoted your hourly labor rate. RV work runs about $125 an hour.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I was up at the buckaloons campground in upper part of Pennsylvania. A great little Federal Park young man up there by the name of Mark is a one man show. He keeps he keeps the campgrounds in extremely good shape. We were up there from Monday through till this Friday. Some wild woman showed up Tuesday evening. Wanting to reserve a ton of spaces for her family. Expected me to move so she can keep everyone together just flat out told me I was going to move. I guess you know what I told her. We were leaving today anyway we wanted to be home for the weekend. She had the nerve to knock on the door first thing this morning before we were out of bed wanting to know how soon we were going to be out of there. I kid you not some people have their nerve. That's my pet peeve. And they were the noisiest group you ever heard. Hey didn't stop the better half and I from having a good few days for a Shakedown Cruise. But you want to talk about pet peeves. Wow! This did just actually happen.
Something similar happened to us last year. We arrived at a very popular mountain campground in Colorado. We were in a site that was one of a few a non reservable site. It was a great site, with a great view. We were planning to leave on Saturday and mentioned this to the campground host. Suddenly first one person then another person came knocking on the door asking it we could hold the site for them! One offered me $20 to hold it for him!

I complained to the host and she apologized over and over for blabbing our planned departure and said she would put a stop to the door knocking. In the morning people were driving past real slow and watching us prepare to leave hoping to claim the spot. When we were ready leave, I pull out and in my rear view monitor I saw a guy RUNNING in his skivvies with a big black lab on a leash. He got to the site just as my rear tires left the site, hung the leash onto the bear hook, and licked the table shouting at the top of his lungs "I licked it...its mine!".

I kid you not!

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #255

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They got hooks for tying up your bears??

Hey Larry, they're ready for ya.

Glenn
Old 06-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #256
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This will offend the dog owners, but dogs are suppose to be two point tied or crated when travelling in a vehicle. I can't believe how INCREDIBLY STUPID people are who drive with them in their laps or hanging out the driver's window.

If you really loved your pet, you wouldn't be putting it in harms way where it can get tangled in the steering wheel or killed by an inflating air bag. If I was still in a patrol car, EVERY idiot that I saw with a dog in their lap would be cited.

I had a working lab (arson dog) for seven years. She was with me 24/7, but had a full kennel built into the back of my Expedition.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #257

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
When I was working in road construction we tried all sorts of wording in our variable message boards to get drivers to do just that. We even tried the message "Use both lanes. Merge signal ahead" and had a metering traffic signal that would be red in one lane and green in the other lane, then switch back. Traffic would still pile up in one lane and then at the last second switch lanes to get the green signal.

I tried to eliminate the words left or right and just say "One lane traffic ahead" and funnel the two lanes into a newly created center lane.
None of the ideas we tried worked because drivers would create dangerous conditions by not merging smoothly. We saw one problem was that large trucks accelerate slower than cars so several cars would zoom and squeeze in before the truck causing the truck to slam on his brakes, backing traffic up in his lane. We even posted police at the merge area, but that simply caused drivers to look at the police, then rearend the car in front of them!

One day I was adjusting the message on the variable message board that was 2 miles ahead of the closure when a driver stop in the high speed lane lower her window and ask me which lane she should be in!
One of my first jobs with the WA DOT some 45 years ago was highway traffic control during I-5 construction. What a fun job that was!! Before the flashing message boards etc. Just cones, signs and a hand paddle. Grab the MUTCD and lay it out!
MUTCD = Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
This will offend the dog owners, but dogs are suppose to be two point tied or crated when travelling in a vehicle. I can't believe how INCREDIBLY STUPID people are who drive with them in their laps or hanging out the driver's window.

If you really loved your pet, you wouldn't be putting it in harms way where it can get tangled in the steering wheel or killed by an inflating air bag. If I was still in a patrol car, EVERY idiot that I saw with a dog in their lap would be cited.

I had a working lab (arson dog) for seven years. She was with me 24/7, but had a full kennel built into the back of my Expedition.

Then you probably would have had a comment for the teenager we saw yesterday hanging out of the bed of a pickup going down the highway. Everything from the waist up was extended out the side of the vehicle. He seemed to enjoy the way his tongue and ears were flapping in the breeze. There are people and there are people.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If I was still in a patrol car, EVERY idiot that I saw with a dog in their lap would be cited.

You sound like me Don, I think that's the hardest part of being retired is not being able to take action when you see people doing stupid things on the road. I'm always telling my Wife I wish I had my Patrol Car back as I would pull that idiot over and give them a nice ticket. I love retirement but that was always fun.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #260

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Smoke and other detectors going off when all you're trying to do is cook a meal.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #261
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Smoke and other detectors going off when all you're trying to do is cook a meal.

Get yourself photoelectric type smoke detectors and you will probably eliminate that pet peeve! (unless the detector is right over the stove!)

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:10 AM   #262

Monaco Owners Club
My biggest pet peeve are the inconsiderate ignorant stupid people who don't bend over with a bag to pick up their dogs crap but simply walk away as if nothing has happened OR look around to see if anyone is watching and if not then walk away.

You can't fix STUPID!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #263
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My biggest pet peeve are the inconsiderate ignorant stupid people who don't bend over with a bag to pick up their dogs crap but simply walk away as if nothing has happened OR look around to see if anyone is watching and if not then walk away.

You can't fix STUPID!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Sad but true Richard!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:06 AM   #264

Entegra Owners Club
I hate when campers parade their little dogs past our two miniature Aussies three to four times a day.. And then give us "The Look", like we cannot curb our dogs! They do this over and over. We go out of our way not to upset a chained dog, and pick another route for a stroll..

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #265

RVers who are so uncivil, and so on the lookout for someone doing something against "the rules," that it could never occur to them that there could be extenuating circumstances.

Maybe the dog went more than usual and the dog walker ran out of bags. Or maybe they came back to get it later. Any number of things could have happened. Rather than going with "inconsiderate ignorant stupid," maybe you could offer the dogwalker a plastic bag? It could be helpful to everyone, and could spare your blood pressure pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

You can't fix STUPID!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #266

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Get yourself photoelectric type smoke detectors and you will probably eliminate that pet peeve! (unless the detector is right over the stove!)
Ion detectors are the correct smoke detector for an RV based on materials of construction. Photoelectric are great for the stick house, but won't respond fast enough in an RV.