Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #267

Totally agree. I have never allowed my dogs in my lap and they sit in the backseat of our truck while traveling with a big 4 inch foam mattress for them to lay on with plastic covering. Puts them up high enough to see but they mostly sleep

Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #268

Monaco Owners Club
A big pet peeve of mine is campgrounds that don't have a website! How in heck do you not have website in this day and age? Also specify if big rigs fit! Many times you pull into a campground and find the sites are mere parking spots (too narrow to deploy slides!)

Hammer bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Smoke and other detectors going off when all you're trying to do is cook a meal.
That's how we know dinner is done!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #270
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Ion detectors are the correct smoke detector for an RV based on materials of construction. Photoelectric are great for the stick house, but won't respond fast enough in an RV.
Brad, I have to disagree on that. I know where you're coming from, that RV's burn like a box of matches, but that's AFTER the fire gets started good.

It depends on what started the fire. If it is something like LPG or electrical the the Ion will respond quickly, but if it's a smouldering, slow-burning fire then not so. The Ion detector works strictly on particles of combustion which are only produced after the fire reaches a certain temperature.

In independent lab tests, Ion detectors have taken as much as 2 hours to respond while totally enveloped in thick, black smoke from a slow-burning fire that had not reached the temperature to produce the needed particles of combustion. A good example of that would be if someone dropped a lighted cigarette in a couch or bed.

To me, the ideal would be to use combination Ion and photoelectric in the bedroom and in the cockpit area, and photoelectric only in the kitchen area.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #271

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

RVers who are so uncivil, and so on the lookout for someone doing something against "the rules," that it could never occur to them that there could be extenuating circumstances.

Maybe the dog went more than usual and the dog walker ran out of bags. Or maybe they came back to get it later. Any number of things could have happened. Rather than going with "inconsiderate ignorant stupid," maybe you could offer the dogwalker a plastic bag? It could be helpful to everyone, and could spare your blood pressure pills.
Yeah right! If you believe that then I have one thousand acres of prime land in Florida for sale cheap!

Luckily at my age I haven't had to take any blood pressure medicine as yet and I don't expect any of those inconsiderate ignorant stupid people will ever cause me to take any in the future.

We always pickup after our dog regardless of wherever we are traveling or staying at home. It is one of the many responsibilities that come with owning a dog.

If people don't want the job of picking up crap from their dog then a dog is not the right pet for them. It is as clear and simple as that! And for those people that feel picking up crap is above them or below their pay grade then I guess you are one of those inconsiderate ignorant stupid people.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #272

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Brad, I have to disagree on that. I know where you're coming from, that RV's burn like a box of matches, but that's AFTER the fire gets started good.

It depends on what started the fire. If it is something like LPG or electrical the the Ion will respond quickly, but if it's a smouldering, slow-burning fire then not so. The Ion detector works strictly on particles of combustion which are only produced after the fire reaches a certain temperature.

In independent lab tests, Ion detectors have taken as much as 2 hours to respond while totally enveloped in thick, black smoke from a slow-burning fire that had not reached the temperature to produce the needed particles of combustion. A good example of that would be if someone dropped a lighted cigarette in a couch or bed.

To me, the ideal would be to use combination Ion and photoelectric in the bedroom and in the cockpit area, and photoelectric only in the kitchen area.
There is more to it than that. Very few construction products in an RV are slow burning, lots of styrofoam, poly and plastics, even the wallboard covering. Wood is minimal with more surface than mass causing it to burn rapidly.

Smoke detectors for RVs must be specifically UL Listed for recreational vehicle under ANSI/UL 217 as required by NFPA 1192, Standard on Recreational Vehicles which is part of the RVIA approval. To date I don't believe photoelectric smoke detectors have been considered or approved for RV use by ANSI/UL 217.

I would agree the best protection is both, however use care in your selection if looking at combination type. The detector needs to alarm when either threshold is met, and not use one technology to verify the other technology to reduce nuisance alarms. The best bet is to install both of each type.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #273

I mentioned in another thread that I wish they would put percentage of RVers vrs residents. It's not much fun in a campground of residents. They are there living, going to work etc. I love talking to those on the road with stories to tell and meeting people that are roaming the country. Sometimes you find things to see you never considered going to or never heard of.
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #274

It's as if you missed everything I wrote about extenuating circumstances.

The overwhelming majority of dog owners pick up after their dogs - nothing special here. However, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances. When I see someone not pick up, I just offer them a bag. I have never encountered anyone who wasn't appreciative. That way, rather than just kvetch about "inconsiderate ignorant stupid people," I've actually done something helpful for everyone.

A little civility and understanding goes a long way. I'm sure you do things that grate other peoples' nerves, as well.

Sadly, judging from this forum, it seems that a lot of RVers are universally mad and unfriendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Yeah right! If you believe that then I have one thousand acres of prime land in Florida for sale cheap!

Luckily at my age I haven't had to take any blood pressure medicine as yet and I don't expect any of those inconsiderate ignorant stupid people will ever cause me to take any in the future.

We always pickup after our dog regardless of wherever we are traveling or staying at home. It is one of the many responsibilities that come with owning a dog.

If people don't want the job of picking up crap from their dog then a dog is not the right pet for them. It is as clear and simple as that! And for those people that feel picking up crap is above them or below their pay grade then I guess you are one of those inconsiderate ignorant stupid people.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-12-2016, 12:27 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
A little civility and understanding goes a long way. I'm sure you do things that grate other peoples' nerves, as well.

Sadly, judging from this forum, it seems that a lot of RVers are universally mad and unfriendly.
It has been my experience that this forum is not like that at all, and are no universally mad or unfriendly. I guess it is a perspective thing.

For me, I am not fond of having to explain the regular and understood rules to those who choose not to follow them. That may be for people who let their dogs defecate and not pick it up, or whatever. It is not my job to be the only adult present, and if another person is of age, and acting wrongly, it is surely within reason to express this here, in a Thread called 'pet peeve'. That is not a thread that shares things we find right with the world, but a thread that is dedicated to the things other people do that annoy us.

Perhaps it would be wise to consider the topic when we post.

Also, while I am happy to consider that there are usually things going on with a person who is acting in an anti social or inappropriate manner (which is exactly what walking your dog, and letting him defecate in front of another camper's site and not picking it up is being) may have lots of reasons, it does not excuse the behavior.

I also try to be courteous and informative when I find a person who is saying things that are wrong, or acting in a deficient manner, but very often, that person is not open to being corrected by another.

I remember a recent time when I expressed a series of experiences I personally had at retail stores, and a person came on this forum to tell me that it did not happen. They went on to express what they felt was a truth, even though it contradicted what I had experienced, and the actual institution's websites said was their policy. Instead of acknowledging that the real world may be different than they felt it was, they doubled down, and told myself and others that were were not only wrong in what we personally experienced, but also were not bright enough to understand what he was saying. Believe it or not, he even did not back down even after actual policies that contradicted him were published here, from those stores...

Now, that would have been a good time for me to give a doggy doodie bag to someone, but chose not to.

Again, I have found that the vast majority here are helpful and positive. The occasional person who comes here to lecture and put people down is the exception, a least in my experience.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #276

A camper next to us went to bed with his stereo playing on his outdoor speakers. Several hours after quiet time I went over to ask him to turn the them off. He said it helps him to sleep and wouldn't shut them off. (I don't know why he needed the outside on too) Later a park employee making rounds heard it and made him shut them off. The next morning we (about 10 campsites) heard him vulgarily confronting the campers on the other side of him for leaving his outside light on the whole night, saying it kept him awake. Luckily we were leaving that day.

There are those that think the old camping etiquette is outdated and they should be allowed to ignore it if it is something they want but then have it enforced when it is something that irritates them.

In my opinion both of those campers were ignorant or callous on how their actions were having an effect on other campers.

My pet peeve: RV'ers who always have an excuse to explain away bad behavior or etiquette whether it's theirs or others, who did things that they obviously have done.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:48 AM   #277

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post

My pet peeve: RV'ers who always have an excuse to explain away bad behavior or etiquette whether it's theirs or others, who did things that they obviously shouldn't have done.
Personally I believe that the ones that have all the excuses are generally part of the problem and not the solution.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #278

Men who are too lazy to lift the toilet seat in public restrooms when not sitting to do their business.
69Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #279

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Dr4Film ----- Richard
This↑

Watched a guy in front of our site let his dog "go". He didn't notice me in my lawn chair enjoying a cold one and attempted to move on. I nicely asked if he was going to pick that up. His response was guess I need to go get a bag. Having two dogs we were armed with thousands of them. He must have felt cornered after I handed him one. Oh, and I'll bet he was coming right back with a bag.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #280

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Men who are too lazy to lift the toilet seat in public restrooms when not sitting to do their business.
Agreed! Slobs!!!