Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #295

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post

One thing not mentioned is "rubber necking" and causing a big traffic back log. Was in one of those lines that was about two miles long and slowly inching up. Seemed there was a wreck on the other side of the divided highway. Once past the wreck there was nothing but open highway. I'm sure others have similar stories.
I have always been an advocate for HIGH center medium retaining walls. The people on the non-accident side don't need to know what's happening on the other side. Plus it may just save someones life preventing out of control vehicles to end up in the other direction of traffic.

However, the money that should be going to rebuilding our infrastructure is ending up in politicians pockets or in the pockets of special interest groups and that's why nothing gets done to our lousy roads, bridges etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #296

Whew--sure are a lot of pet peeves here,did we miss any?
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #297

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Whew--sure are a lot of pet peeves here,did we miss any?

I can fix that. I here by declare, I am pissed off about everything.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #298

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK 1 more. Why do they keep a road closed off so long after an accident. I remember back in the olden times they made every effort to clear the highway. Now they try to see how long they can keep it closed. Northbound out of Phoenix on I17 we waited 1 hour 45 min, got to the accident site, there was a trooper veh parted in the right lane with 2 troopers leaning on the curb side in what appeared to be friendly conversation. There were no other vehicles around, no accident signs other than some black marks from tires sliding. No victims present. What a waste of drivers time, fuel and nerves. Another, that I'm glad I missed, Single passenger, single car. Driver looses control goes off the hwy, no injuries. Hwy was closed both ways for 2 hours, in one direction an additional hour. Ain't no reason for that .

Glenn
Old 06-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #299
Community Administrator

A bump in the road could be repaired before the sign warning us of it is ordered and installed.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:31 PM   #300

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
OK 1 more. Why do they keep a road closed off so long after an accident. I remember back in the olden times they made every effort to clear the highway. Now they try to see how long they can keep it closed. Northbound out of Phoenix on I17 we waited 1 hour 45 min, got to the accident site, there was a trooper veh parted in the right lane with 2 troopers leaning on the curb side in what appeared to be friendly conversation. There were no other vehicles around, no accident signs other than some black marks from tires sliding. No victims present. What a waste of drivers time, fuel and nerves. Another, that I'm glad I missed, Single passenger, single car. Driver looses control goes off the hwy, no injuries. Hwy was closed both ways for 2 hours, in one direction an additional hour. Ain't no reason for that .

Glenn
One reason, ANY liquid (gas, diesel, anti freeze, etc) requires HazMat cleanup. That can take hours if the spill is very large.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #301

What's your "pet peeve" ?

How about electric or new improved versions of products that don't work or that take just as much elbow grease as the tool they replace or that don't have enough power or charge to complete the job?
The DustBuster probably tops this list for me. The battery invariably gets down to holding a 30 second charge. Never have to charge the dustpan and broom. Still working 20 years later.
Plenty of these products on TV before the holidays, Father's Day, etc. Maybe one or two at the RV show.
What is your 'favorite'?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
One reason, ANY liquid (gas, diesel, anti freeze, etc) requires HazMat cleanup. That can take hours if the spill is very large.
Most fire departments handle most Haz Mat.

It's because of lawsuits. Get Motor Carrier, DOT and CSI on scene.

Cross the T's and dot the I's.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:09 PM   #303

While doing chp work monitored radio traffic and listened to process for 18 wheeler rig that overturned on I5 and driver did not have proper paperwork and did not speak english.

Spilled the load of mystery stuff so emergency call to a party who had to come out to determine what it was...hours later it was something like fertilizer or corn starch.

Huge mess that one was.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Another reason is they may have to call out a survey team to accurately mark all debris, roadway condition, signs etc.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post

Glenn
It doesn't really matter since every single driver in line has to slow to a crawl in an effort to see what's going on rather than simply getting on down the road.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:41 AM   #306

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Most fire departments handle most Haz Mat.

It's because of lawsuits. Get Motor Carrier, DOT and CSI on scene.

Cross the T's and dot the I's.
I agree. Make sure everyone protects there a$$. We sat for over an hour leaving Key West one day, maybe Rockland Key. When we finally moved past the accident the problem was a motorcycle still in the road with a parking lot right next to it. I thought "gee I could have pushed it off" but I'm sure they had 100 photos to take, measure everything, document...
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #307

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was a firefighter the State Patrol came out and discussed with each shift the impacts of closing lanes and the road, and how long it takes to recover a normal traffic flow even after we are gone. It was eye opening!

Listening between the words, the State Patrol was pleading with us to hurry our a$$ and get the crap off the road

In my experience, if the scene commander loses control of the scene by getting distracted by another agency, or by getting involved himself (which happens a lot), nobody is watching the overall progress and momentum. Typically when you see two guys shooting the breeze off in the corner, the control is lost.

Those little talks from the State Patrol should be a monthly session.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #308
gr8

Pet peeve.....dumping the black water tank

Dumping the black water. What can I say; It just plain ole sucks!
On another note, Slightly
My true "pet peeve" are pet peeves. I Actually had this as a topic in high school speech. I was shy and didn't like to complain = nearly had a breakdown in front of the class. LOL
gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote