Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Ever seen a tour bus carting around a bunch of Asian's once they stop for a break or at a tour stop? There's not enough room in the smoking section to fit them all.

I am married to a lovely Asian but she has never smoked.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Cool, you don't smoke, but they do......but then again....maybe each

of us has a little something unusual we do, not even known to others

from the surface.......

wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Cool, you don't smoke, but they do......but then again....maybe each

of us has a little something unusual we do, not even known to others

from the surface.......
I agree. I don's smoke, never did except 2 weeks in High School.

I get a kick about the horrible and tremendously anti PC things people say about smokers however. There are lots of people who say things about folks who smoke they could never get away with saying about any other group of people.

And I think we should face it, most people have at least one bad habit or another.

Lastly, up here in the liberal north east, if you smoke cigarettes, you are the spawn of Satan. If you smoke marijuana, you are among the coolest and hippest people in society... I don't smoke either, but both roll up the dried leaves of a plant in paper and light it on fire, then inhale the smoke. How could one be so much different than the other... And both do it for the same reason, the side affect of the chemicals in the plant leaves, and how it alters your physiology...

So, smoke or don't smoke, bite your nails, spit too much, whatever... Can't we just let people have a little space and get along?

KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:29 AM   #381

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

Lastly, up here in the liberal north east, if you smoke cigarettes, you are the spawn of Satan. If you smoke marijuana, you are among the coolest and hippest people in society... I don't smoke either, but both roll up the dried leaves of a plant in paper and light it on fire, then inhale the smoke. How could one be so much different than the other... And both do it for the same reason, the side affect of the chemicals in the plant leaves, and how it alters your physiology...
I grew up with my Mother shaking her finger at me with a cigarette in her hand telling me to stay away from Pot! Now they are proposing Pot in restaurants here in hippie city, but its illegal to smoke a cigarette anywhere in public areas. Go figure What Hypocrites!

I've found I have nothing useful to teach my kids, because my generation of idiots unravel it as fast as I get it assembled. I'm moving to Texas
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #382

I smoked for almost 30 years. I am not a "born again" non-smoker. I figure if people want to smoke than that is their right, as long as it doesn't infringe on somebody else right not to smoke.

The anti smokers learned from prohibition that taking away someones right all at once would not work. But if you did it a little bit at a time that eventually you would achieve your goal.

Imagine telling a smoker in the 1960's that by the year 2000 that they would not be allowed to smoke on an airplane, in any public building, or in some cases outside in public. That they could be charged with child abuse for smoking with children in their own house or car.

Today it is a balancing act between the anti smokers wanting to putting an end to all smoking and the governments revenue stream from the taxes on smoking.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #383

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wanted to chime in just to keep this thread going....not that it will ever end

With all of the things mentioned, I think we could lump them into one category...or maybe two if we can't decide on the right name.

Lack of consideration for others (smoking, not using signals, shopping carts in parking spaces, etc.)

or

Stupidity (tailgating, not merging into traffic properly, difficulty at a 4-way stop, etc.)

Is there anything that does not fall into one of these???

Dan
Old 09-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #384
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

With all of the things mentioned, I think we could lump them into one category...or maybe two if we can't decide on the right name.

Lack of consideration for others (smoking, not using signals, shopping carts in parking spaces, etc.)

or

Stupidity (tailgating, not merging into traffic properly, difficulty at a 4-way stop, etc.)

Dan

Yup, that about wraps it up!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post

or

Dan
One of my pet peeves is people who divide things into two categories.

Just kidding Dan. I couldn't resist.

Besides, it is my believe that the world is full of only two kinds of people. Those who divide issues into two groups, and those who don't.

I suppose if I think of it, considering my 'small government' libertarianism, I might say that while the issues may fit those two categories when we do it to each other, there might be another issue to consider.

I do not like the 'do gooder' impositions on my life, as a major pet peeve. That is either government or other politically correct people who sit back and tell me how I should do things, or how I should talk, or how I should do this or that. It does not matter if it is the government telling me they are hiking up the gas taxes to 'encourage me to drive less' or the neighborhood busy body that has to comment on my garbage or recycling....
Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 PM   #386

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry Joe, I don't want to turn your thread into a smoking debate thread. But, I have to interject something here that is a pet peeve of mine on that subject.

One thing that bothers me a lot, is how our media (and whomever else) has established in a lot of people's mindset, the idea or suggestion that smokers are second or lower class citizens. Some TV campaigns I see for example, come across with an attitude that smokers are not intelligent people. You must have a lower IQ if you smoke, loser. Really?

For younger people, they're professing the next generation may be the first non-smoking generation. Wow, the smartest generation to date! Happy days are here again.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #387
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Sorry Joe, I don't want to turn your thread into a smoking debate thread. But, I have to interject something here that is a pet peeve of mine on that subject.

One thing that bothers me a lot, is how our media (and whomever else) has established in a lot of people's mindset, the idea or suggestion that smokers are second or lower class citizens. Some TV campaigns I see for example, come across with an attitude that smokers are not intelligent people. You must have a lower IQ if you smoke, loser. Really?

For younger people, they're professing the next generation may be the first non-smoking generation. Wow, the smartest generation to date! Happy days are here again.

Regards,
W.D.

Personally, I will not be around anyone smoking, BUT I do respect their right to smoke if they want to without being hassled! I have a lot of good friends that smoke, and I would love to see them quit, but nobody can make that choice for them.

On the other hand, knowing what we know today about the effects of smoking on the body, I can't understand why anyone would put one in their mouth! Of course, the answer is simple...they're addicted to them just like others are addicted to meth, cocaine, or whatever! I bet that a large percentage of smokers have really wanted to quit, and maybe tried many times, but just couldn't!

I was one of the lucky ones that never started, and don't really know why! When I was growing up, just about everybody smoked because nobody knew it was so harmful. My mother and daddy both smoked all their lives. I'm just so thankful that I never picked up the habit.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #388

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Campfire pollution. It's the most toxic unhealthy thing you can do while camping. 2 hours around a campfire is the equivalent of smoking 30 cigarettes. A while back, no one knew any better. We all thought we were "getting back to nature". I guess many still aren't aware because they leave a campfire burning from the time they prepare their breakfast on it.
This is why they invented and sell propane campfire pits.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Campfire pollution. It's the most toxic unhealthy thing you can do while camping. 2 hours around a campfire is the equivalent of smoking 30 cigarettes. A while back, no one knew any better. We all thought we were "getting back to nature". I guess many still aren't aware because they leave a campfire burning from the time they prepare their breakfast on it.
This is why they invented and sell propane campfire pits.
Wow!
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #390

Smoking, campfires. What's next?
Old 09-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #391

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post

Regards,
W.D.
Actually, 50 years ago, more people smoked than didn't. They weren't " stupid", it was just an accepted practice. The consensus at that time was the benefits outweighed the risk.
Now, you have to be living under a rock not to know the dangers. That being said, so many of us have smoked long enough that the addictive qualities of cigarettes make it almost impossible to quit. Even though we intellectually know the danger, the addiction takes over.
I see most people that smoke are considerate about it and try not to get in your face. These people aren't stupid, they are just addicted.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #392

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Smoking, campfires. What's next?
Fast-food?