Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #435

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Europe also drives on the wrong side of the road and put steering wheels on the passenger side
If you ever drove with my wife you would also want the controls on the passenger side.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Might work better if you tell him your gonna get a new CAT!
You think the cat will come when called?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #437

roundabouts, or rotatory as they are call around here, can be a interesting challenge in a car. I can't imagine with a RV or RV with toad/ trailer...

The other bad practice in Mass, is the notion that driving at normal speeds (speed limit +10), is permissible in the breakdown lanes during rush hr traffic. Heaven forbid if someone uses the breakdown lane for a real breakdown.... if you do breakdown, exit the vehicle and stand 100+ ft away....
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #438

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
roundabouts, or rotatory as they are call around here, can be a interesting challenge in a car. I can't imagine with a RV or RV with toad/ trailer...
I visit my office in the UK once a month for a week each time. Once you learn how to use roundabout you realize they are an extremely efficient means of moving large volumes of traffic quickly. They are far more efficient than lights and stop signs at ou 90 degree left and right hand turns.

Semis (lorries) pulling large trailers navigate them with ease, as do lots of TTs.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
Another pet peeve is when people use my site to cut across.

They usually end up getting my dogs riled up.

Really ?? You're THAT damn lazy to walk another couple of feet ?? The exercise will probably do you some good....

Perhaps you can put those rolls of tangle-foot barbed wire around the perimeter of your site. Someone may attempt to cut thru, but no one will try twice.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 PM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabes View Post
You think the cat will come when called?
I highly doubt it. I was referring to the suggestion you would get another dog. Most dogs might like the company. But they get kicked out of the doggie clubs if they get caught palling around with a cat. So, the cat was just a threat.

As far as any cat ever doing what he is asked to do, not likely to happen. I guess with the cat, at least the dog will have someone to keep him company when he is ignoring you...
Old 09-16-2016, 10:51 PM   #441

Quote:

The other bad practice in Mass, is the notion that driving at normal speeds (speed limit +10), is permissible in the breakdown lanes during rush hr traffic. Heaven forbid if someone uses the breakdown lane for a real breakdown.... if you do breakdown, exit the vehicle and stand 100+ ft away....
I never understood that. I live here in the Boston suburbs, and it is legal to drive the shoulder during rush hour. So, the crazy 80 mph drivers in heavy traffic are on the shoulder, which of course ends and starts again each exit. The little old ladies and gents who would be slowly cruising the right lane are now afraid to use it, because 'speedy gonsalas' is in on the shoulder and may hop into the right lane any second, so they move to the middle lane.

Now you have established a faster left lane, a very slow middle lane, a very nervous right lane, and a bunch of bat sh*t crazy speeders on the shoulder. No wonder Mass has a well deserved reputation for not being able to drive.

I feel if they think they have the room to squeeze another lane of traffic in, repaint the dang stripes, and move all the fast traffic to the left like normal states. (Farther right, slower, farther left, faster)
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 PM   #442

Quote:
In Europe it is illegal to pass on the right, if you do expect a ticket. Also, the speeding car/ truck in the left lane will flash their headlights, meaning get over and out of my way when coming up on a slower car in the left lane... I wish drivers here would do likewise...
I agree. I lived in Germany for a few years while in the Army, and the driving discipline on the autobahn was much better than here in the states. (as a general rule)

Of course, there was no speed limit on that Autobahn, so they needed more discipline.

I recall once a few decades ago, I was in the left lane having passed a vehicle, and signaled and pulled to the right quickly afterward. My wife (she may have been my fiance then) asked why I vacated the left lane so quickly.

I told her it was because of the approaching car in the left lane. (I saw his flashing headlights from a 1/2 mile back.)

She asked me if I meant that tiny car, waaayyy back there?

I said, yes, watch him... He was on us in moments. I was doing 85 or 90 mph and he was approaching me as if I was on a bicycle.

So, yes, they have good discipline on the highway. You cannot have those kind of speeds and allow folks to pass on the right.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:09 PM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Europe also drives on the wrong side of the road and put steering wheels on the passenger side
To the best of my knowledge, England has right drive, as well as India, Australia, and Japan, but Continental Europe drives on the left side like we do. (driver on the left side of the car, car on the right side of the road)

Besides, even if they had right drive, it would not be the passenger side, as the driver is on the same side as the steering wheel. Makes little sense for the steering wheel to be on the side with the passengers.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I visit my office in the UK once a month for a week each time. Once you learn how to use roundabout you realize they are an extremely efficient means of moving large volumes of traffic quickly. They are far more efficient than lights and stop signs at ou 90 degree left and right hand turns.

Semis (lorries) pulling large trailers navigate them with ease, as do lots of TTs.
Totally agree. I lived in England for 4 years and roundabouts (traffic circles in U.S.) are awesome. Mythbusters even tested them and they are way more efficient at moving traffic. We have 5 of them on Moody AFB and they have greatly improved how traffic flows out of the base at the end of the day.

Once a dumb American driver puts their cell phone down they should be able to navigate one easily if they pay attention.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #445

I would suggest to you, remove your Blinder's. Not all people who are overweight fall into that category. The fact that someone is over weight does not have any impact on who they are as a person or what social club they fall into. So looking for the good in people would help our society immensely. Step outside of the box.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #446

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
To the best of my knowledge, England has right drive, as well as India, Australia, and Japan, but Continental Europe drives on the left side like we do. (driver on the left side of the car, car on the right side of the road)

Besides, even if they had right drive, it would not be the passenger side, as the driver is on the same side as the steering wheel. Makes little sense for the steering wheel to be on the side with the passengers.
Mr Friggen Technical again - I was making a wise crack. Are you just stalking me?
Old 09-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #447

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

They are efficient, but what a cluster mess when you add crosswalks and pedestrians that have the right of way. I saw one in Long Island that had 5 incoming roads and a heavy pedestrian area by the beach, and nobody knew what the heck to do.

I pulled a 5er for years, and there is nothing graceful about maneuvering around those - and to make it worse, some have vertical curbs on the edge, meaning if you do hit you run the risk of damaging the wheel.

I think smart traffic lights are much more efficient and takes a lot less real estate.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:54 AM   #448

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I actually have no complaint with roundabouts, but unfortunately here I AZ where I have to navigate 7 of them to get to Costco they do not build them like in Europe. The ones here are built with small radii and narrow lanes. RVs work ok, but 18 wheelers are kinda tight. Also they need a training course for the drivers. You do NOT have to stop when entering an unoccupied roundabout, you do NOT have to signal at each exit to let people know if your leaving or continuing on around. All in all they do move traffic better than stop signs or lights in my opinion.

Glenn